Times to weigh youself

Options
Hey all I'm trying, with this app, to gain some weight and my partner is trying to lose some. Was just wondering on other people's opinion on when to weigh yourself? Every day? Week? Month?

Thanks all
Jimmi

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Its really up to personal preference. I weighed daily. But others do weekly. Just keep in mind that weight fluctuations are normal .
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Once in a month at least. Although I do it every 10 days or so. Weight may go up and down or plateau keep a log of body measurements too
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Its really up to personal preference. I weighed daily. But others do weekly. Just keep in mind that weight fluctuations are normal .

Pretty much this. It depends on your goals and how you use the information. Daily weighing gives you more data (if you log and record your measurements), but also more noise. Some people use a trending app or spreadsheet graph to show the actual trend.

Weekly weighing gives less data, but you don't see the daily fluctuations you are one who is bothered by that you see less of it.

Keep in mind that the less often you weigh or take other measurements, you take longer to spot problems in your plan and make corrections.

No matter how often you weigh, consistency gives the best results. Picking a time of day, such as first thing in the morning, helps reduce variation due to meals just eaten or post workout water loss.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I've been a daily weigher since 2012 :) But once a week is fine too. Just make sure to weigh the same time of day, on the same scale!
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    First thing in the AM after emptying the ol' bladder, naked, and daily. It is far more motivating for me than once a week.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning, and record my weight in Trendweight.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I typically weigh first thing in the morning... and sometimes again after a particularly satisfying bathroom break. hehe

I'm a daily weigher (usually), but I don't freak out too much about a pound up/down. My weight bounces around like CRAAAAAZY. So I'm looking for downward or upward trends.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I weigh twice a week, but only record friday morning. I weigh nekkid with an empty bladder first thing in the a.m.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    It all depends on you. I weigh myself everyday after breakfast naked before my shower. Weight usually fluctuates by the end of the day and youll be up 2lbs after all the food and what not so i dont like counting that. And i do it everyday because sometimes when i do indulge ill see i go up a lb the next day if it was an all day indulgence and ill know to keep my calorie intake under control that day and ill work a little harder at the gym. But its a preference. My husband weighs himself lile once a month. He hasnt lost any weight because he doesnt track it.
  • EarthwormJimmi
    EarthwormJimmi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys/girls.

So what would be everyone's recommended times to measure? And the amount of times to check?
  • khernan1964
    khernan1964 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    According to most people I know, and myself - measurements about 1 a month. Also, regarding the weighing thing, and not to make yourself crazy, same time of day is important. If you weigh yourself in the morning and then in the evening - generally your evening weight can be up to 3 lbs higher (according to what you've eaten, water you haven't released yet, etc.). I've seen people panic about that.
  • PiperGirl08
    PiperGirl08 Posts: 134 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I weigh daily, first thing in the morning, but that's an old carryover from my Crew days. Once or twice per week should be fine, but it depends on one's goals. I don't weigh when traveling.
  • mespreeman
    mespreeman Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I weigh every Saturday morning.

I wake up, take of the three S's, and weigh in.
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Daily, for logging in Libra (an app that shows weight trends and predicts your future loss rate)

Weekly, for MFP.

Monthly, for progress pictures.