Dentist told me off :(

Options
13»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It has a lot to do with genetics too. And drinking sweetened beverages is just as bad as eating sweets.

I get cleanings every 3 months (I have gum disease) and I get stains on my teeth after 3 weeks, and that's brushing 4x a day or more with an electric toothbrush, basically every time I eat/drink something (I've been wearing aligners for 2 years so I don't really have a choice anyway). In my case it's probably because I drink coffee 3x a day and tea and I could sip them for an hour. Sigh. But yeah, I haven't had a cavity in 2 years either from all the brushing... so get brushing (and flossing).
  • carolinafirefly
    carolinafirefly Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Don't brush - especially not in an overly enthusiastic fashion - directly after a sugary snack. Sugar and the bacteria in your mouth make an acidic environment, and brushing that frequently when it's most acidic and your enamel is the softest will wear off the enamel. If you want to brush shortly after something sugary or acidic, rinse your mouth out with an alkaline or ph-balanced mouthwash (like Biotene) or even regular water if it's all you have and only then brush very softly.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Thats a lot of sweets. Hope next visit is better
  • khernan1964
    khernan1964 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Every person and every person's health is different. You know what you eat, how you care for yourself and your body. Review his statements, and your habits, if there is room for improvement in your eyes, make the changes if you feel you do the best, let it go. Doctors, dentists, social workers, lawyers (except for dentist who I fight with all the time) I have worked for each - all reach a point often where they react on the majority of what they see and if that is negative, people not doing what they've been trained is the best thing, that is how they respond; it is reactionary frustration. My doctor has learned to trust me and asks me specific questions when there is a change in my health to see what may have changed in MY lifestyle. I put them right in their place unless I recognize they are right from the get go. Just because they have a degree does not mean they know more than you (or your mother) about you. There is a need for them, however they are there for guidance and direction/ diagnostics/ prescription, not bashing you or personal opinion. Take stock of the experience, adjust if necessary, go on and be happy. Just my thoughts - all your decisions.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Some people, like me, just have bad teeth.

I agree with that too. I've known people that were obsessive almost with their dental hygiene and still get cavities.

Then there are people like me that while I do brush my teeth at least twice a day, I almost never floss - literally 4 or 5 times a YEAR lol and that's usually after eating some thing like corn on the cob. I never do any fluoride rinses or anything and I've never had a single cavity in my 48 years. My kids don't get them either and I can tell you they drink soda and eat candy and no matter what I say, mostly brush once a day (they are grown now).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Don't brush - especially not in an overly enthusiastic fashion - directly after a sugary snack. Sugar and the bacteria in your mouth make an acidic environment, and brushing that frequently when it's most acidic and your enamel is the softest will wear off the enamel. If you want to brush shortly after something sugary or acidic, rinse your mouth out with an alkaline or ph-balanced mouthwash (like Biotene) or even regular water if it's all you have and only then brush very softly.

My hygienist told me that it's only true for acidic foods like oranges.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    My dentist says this everytime I go, I argued at first because it's an assumption on her account, I know it's not true. Now I just nod and leave it at that, I know genetically I have bad teeth it runs on my mum's side of the family. I have good dental hygiene (she never deems it necessary for me to go to the hygienist), but still have cavities regularly I've accepted it and just make sure I keep up with 6 monthly check ups and get them filled sooner rather than later.
  • mzfrizz15
    mzfrizz15 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It's not all diet, hon. Genetics are a factor. My mother has horrible teeth. I have horrible teeth. Also, I was never taught how to brush or floss by my family. I had to be taught at the dental office, which was embarrassing. Growing up, it seemed like I got a new filling every other year. I needed my first root canal by age 26. I'm currently saving up for a bridge now, as that capped tooth had to be removed due my jaw being hurt and the roots of that tooth cracking from it. I'm kind of wishing they hadn't pulled my wisdom teeth now, LOL.

As for flossing, have you tried using Plackers or other flossers that are small plastic arches with floss attached? I've found them very handy, and easier to use than regular dental floss. My molars are tight and regular floss just gets stuck between them.
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    +1 for genetics playing a role. My dad has always been meticulous about his dental care, had access to good dental care as a child, never had a sweet tooth. He had to have multiple tooth extractions and a root canal in his early thirties. He now has a bridge where his four front teeth used to be. His sister had the exact same problems.
    I didnt inherit it as badly, but my dentist did comment that I have unusually deep grooves in my teeth which make it easier to get cavities and harder to get them cleaned. I have had probably 6 or so cavities in my adult teeth (I am 26) and had multiple as a kid. My parents did not give us soda or candy and I dont eat a crazy amount of sweets now. Dont smoke, no one in my family does.
    Honestly the amount of sweets that your eating might be contributing some, but I dont think that is the only factor.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,561 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    It's usually going to come down to just one's dental hygiene. I don't know hardly anyone that brushes after EVERY MEAL or drink, nor flosses more than twice a day.
    Personally even though I neglected seeing a dentist for 10 years, I only ended up with one cavity with just brushing alone, so I do believe it does have to do with genetics when it comes to teeth.
    Now I see a dentist at least 2 times a year so I can keep down any gum issues due to my neglect from before. Can say now that it's been way better since then (over 20 years now).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    sympha01 wrote: »
    I've always had fantastic dental and oral health (magic teeth!). When I first moved to a new city, I started seeing this dentist who was referred to me by a colleague.

The first time I went, the hygienist really brutally /hurt/ my mouth doing the cleaning. That had never happened to me before, but I shrugged it off thinking I just got the clumsy one one in the office, or she was in a rotten mood and was taking it out on my gums. It happens. Got a clean bill of health for the actual dental exam, and left.

6 months later I'm back for my next checkup. I get a different hygienist, but she too takes to my mouth like she works for the CIA or something. All the bleeding. I notice there are graphic pictures all over the walls of really gross diseased mouths and he's promoting some special gum disease treatments. Now I'm thinking there's something fishy about this dental practice. So when the dentist comes in and asks how I am, I say something along the lines of "My gums never bleed except when I come to your office, I feel like your staff isn't respecting my mouth's human rights" he says "Oh it's because you have gum disease; you're not flossing."

Me: "Bull. I LIKE to floss. I floss all the GD time."

Dentist: "Then you're flossing wrong, that's why you have gum disease."

Me: "Un-bloody-likely. Let me show you how I floss." {demonstration ensues}

Dentist: "Oh do you drink sodas then? Even diet ones. That's why you have gum disease. Because TOCSINS."

Me: "Bull. You know, you might have had a chance of being taken seriously if you had looked in my GD mouth before diagnosing me with gum disease. But now the T-word, too? You're so very fired."

So I found another dentist. Before anyone touched my mouth, I told them my history (i.e., no history of gum disease, no gum bleeding at home when I brush or floss, but my most recent dentist insisted I had gum disease and I suspected he was a crank) and said "PLEASE examine me thoroughly for gum disease, if I've got it I want to know and we'll talk about options, but also, you know, I don't think a cleaning should hurt." Outcome? No gum disease. I've been going to that dentist for 10 years now and still no gum disease.

Moral of the story: Just because someone is a licensed medical professional doesn't mean they're not a prick, or a crank, or a quack, or just selling something you don't need.

I totally agree with this. I loved my old dentist but he had a terrible hygienist. Whenever I saw her she would stab and poke me until I was bleeding everywhere. She also said inappropriate things. It never happened with the other hygienists so I started requesting them for appointments but somehow the cow would always switch it back to her . She clearly had issues and in end I flat out refused to see her and left the practice.
  • JaiDessaT
    JaiDessaT Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I noticed after cutting way back on wheat (suggested by my dr to see if it reduced or eliminated my chronic pain - it does!) that my dental health improved. I have had problems with my teeth since 16. I floss once every day or two, brush twice a day and rinse my mouth with water after meals. I don't drink soda often, but I love the fizz so do drink seltzer. I don't know if that's bad for teeth. You might consider trying this, or at least take a d3 and k2 supplement daily. I hope your dental health improves.
  • sew205
    sew205 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Some people have crummy teeth and some people are dentally lucky. I had a bunch of cavities in the last few years, in spite of pretty good oral hygiene habits (brush twice a day, floss every night) and pretty good (dentally speaking) food habits - minimal sticky candy/soda/juice/dried fruit. I have now switched to an electric toothbrush (used once a day, regular manual brushing once a day) and a prescription fluoride toothpaste once a day. That has helped fend off more issues (so far). I find that going in for two cleanings a year is really important for me, too - it feels like missing one cleaning was what really kicked off the cascade of cavities.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great dentist! He cares!
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    My father was blessed with good teeth. Pearly white straight teeth. That he never brushed, flossed or rinsed as a kid. The only time he was made to was the mornings before the dentist.
    His grandma took him after he pretty much moved in and she figured the dentist would set him straight on brushing.
    The dentist walked him out and told her she was a great grandma for making him take care of his teeth. No cavities or problems until he was an adult.
    I on the other hand brush floss and rinse regularly. Straight teeth that stain easily and cavities all the time.

Just luck of the draw.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Rottified wrote: »
    My father was blessed with good teeth. Pearly white straight teeth. That he never brushed, flossed or rinsed as a kid. The only time he was made to was the mornings before the dentist.
    His grandma took him after he pretty much moved in and she figured the dentist would set him straight on brushing.
    The dentist walked him out and told her she was a great grandma for making him take care of his teeth. No cavities or problems until he was an adult.
    I on the other hand brush floss and rinse regularly. Straight teeth that stain easily and cavities all the time.

Just luck of the draw.

Yes bones and teeth vary from person to person. I was more like your father. I was 15 before my first trip to see a dentist. He found one small cavity and filled it on the spot without anything for pain because it was not needed.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Eh you probably have weak teeth. I've put mine through hell and have had zero issues.
  • Marshachia
    Marshachia Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Use interdental brush besides the usual brushing and flossing☝️
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    He probably just assumed, because let's face it, its probably true for a lot of people. But still...it sounds pretty douchy for him to say that.