Running/Jogging Advice

Options
2»

Replies

• krandor1
    krandor1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Everyday I literally want to RUN.... but when I try I get so winded I STOP. How do runners build up the stamina to just jog?

Any advice would be helpful n appreciated

It takes time. The c25k mentioned is real good. Also check out Jeff galloways stuff. He encourages run/walk intervals.

I started with c25k about 3 years ago and got winded after 30 seconds. Last year did a 50kmand the New York marathon and in Jan did dopey (48.6 miles over 4 days). I did those with the Galloway method. Still working toward a straight run 26.2 miles and hope to hit that's later this year.

Build a foundation and increase mileage slowly and you'll get there.
  • krandor1
    krandor1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I also suggest the C25K program but also wanted to stress SLOW DOWN. Like no, go slower. Too slow? No such thing. If you can walk faster than you are running, that is fine. The key to C25K is building up, it is not about speed. Go as slow as you need to to get through the run interval time. Speed comes later.
    The #1 mistake most new runners make is running too hard (and to be honest, it is a mistake many experienced runners make in training).

Not just in training. When I started I ran the pea tree rise race 10k my first year. Did a half about 6 months later. Came back to peach tree the next year and took it lightly. Set a pr for a 5k ... Then hit cardiac hill at mile 4 almost wiped me out. Miles's 5 and 6 were a struggle.

Pacing yourself be it training or a race is vital.
  • meredith6645
    meredith6645 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    krandor1 wrote: »
    I also suggest the C25K program but also wanted to stress SLOW DOWN. Like no, go slower. Too slow? No such thing. If you can walk faster than you are running, that is fine. The key to C25K is building up, it is not about speed. Go as slow as you need to to get through the run interval time. Speed comes later.
    The #1 mistake most new runners make is running too hard (and to be honest, it is a mistake many experienced runners make in training).

Not just in training. When I started I ran the pea tree rise race 10k my first year. Did a half about 6 months later. Came back to peach tree the next year and took it lightly. Set a pr for a 5k ... Then hit cardiac hill at mile 4 almost wiped me out. Miles's 5 and 6 were a struggle.

Oh I paced myself I couldn't even do the whole c25k yesterday I only did 10 minutes of it might be easier for some people but for me I found it difficult and challenging so I will take my time and keep doing the first day over and over until I literally get it right but I won't quit I'll keep going
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    coalz wrote: »
    Breathe in through your nose and out your mouth.

While this works for some people, it isn't a must do. I cannot breath in through my nose and out of my mouth while running. I end up gasping for air.

Oh I paced myself I couldn't even do the whole c25k yesterday I only did 10 minutes of it might be easier for some people but for me I found it difficult and challenging so I will take my time and keep doing the first day over and over until I literally get it right but I won't quit I'll keep going

That's great. Once you finish the whole workout as scheduled, do it three more times that week, then next week try to move up to the next one.
    Good luck.

Very true.
    I did a 5k in February where I maxed out my HR in the first two km and then struggled to finish.
  • kennycbaker
    kennycbaker Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Intervals are right! Good advice here. I went from not being able to run/jog a mile to jogging 6 -8min/ miles in one session