Cookbook recommendations

Options
mgookin1
mgookin1 Posts: 72 Member
I am looking for some low calorie cookbooks, I need some new ideas to go through. Do you have a favorite recipe or cookbook that you like to use?

Replies

• Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I started going to the Kaiser Healthy Balance class and they use 'The Ultimate Volumetrics Diet' book, which is pretty much all the good stuff you learns to do here at MFP, with a strong focus on increasing your fruits and veggies. The recipes in there have been great! Very filling and nutritious.
  • shirlw62
    shirlw62 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Try Skinnytaste book by Gina Homolka. Some great recipes. High fat/calorie recipes revamped, I use the book even when not on diet as recipes are so good. You can access all her recipes at skinnytaste.com.
  • capecodder13
    capecodder13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I second the motion for the Skinnytaste cookbook. I feel like some of the recipes are a lot of work, but well worth it. You won't feel deprived in any way. I thought I went way over my calorie count goal yesterday because I had wine and ice cream, but I had an incredible chicken enchilada for dinner that was filling and delicious, and when I added it all up, I was only 137 calories over my goal! Tonight I am making spaghetti squashta with turkey bolognese that I have made before which was phenomenal.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I love cookbooks, but I also enjoy getting magazine subscriptions. They are so inexpensive and you get a new one every month. They also focus on recipes for the seasons/holiday of that particular month. Not all of them are "low cal" recipes, but a lot of them do have the nutritional content of the recipe and you can tweak it to your liking. My favorites magazines are Allrecipes, A Taste of Home, FoodTV Network and Cooking Light. You can get them really cheap at magazineline.com. For some of them a year subscription is $12.

There are also so many good websites. Allrecipes.com is my favorite. HTH! :smile:
  • Rockstar_sister
    Rockstar_sister Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste is good, but my favorite are "Taste of Home Diet Comfort Food" - I've got 4 of them and I use them all the time!!! I also have blogged a few of the recipes on my page if you want to look at those (even some of the Skinnytaste) before you purchase. You can find them here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Seshankle
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Best I've found are "Healthy Homestyle Cooking" and "More Healthy Homestyle Cooking", by Evelyn Tribole. The second one includes a chapter with recipe makeover tips. She also has a dessert cookbook, but I don't own that one.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I love (and collect) cookbooks of all types. I have been cooking and eating out of three since last October because the food is good, easy to prepare, ingredients are easy to find, nutritional info is given, and did I say the food is good?! The books are by the Podleski sisters, Janet and Greta - http://janetandgreta.com/

The books are 1. Looney Spoons; 2. Crazy Plates; 3. Eat, Drink and Be Merry; and 4. The Looney Spoons Collection (which is an redit of #1, but with some additions).

The recipes cover all kinds of cuisine, from roast beef to Indian to Mexican to Asian - the Pad Thai recipe is wonderful!