Binge / Starve cycle

Options
I'm fed up of being stuck in a binge - starve cycle. I start well and eat healthy within my calorie intake and then after a week or so I start to get obsessive and overthink every detail which sooner or later leads me to binging. Sometimes the binging goes on for days or weeks before I manage to stop and I then feel so guilty and down about it that I end up eating way too little or trying to come up with the "perfect diet".

It's got to the point where none of my clothes fit and I feel so uncomfortable in social situations.
This time last year I managed to overcome it for a good 8 months and got to my ideal / healthiest weight. But I self sabotaged and have been in this binge - starve - binge cycle since.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation and overcame this?

Replies

• helenrosec1
    helenrosec1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm similar, I can't seem to get the balance right, I'm good a losing weight and eating healthy, or gaining weight by binging and eating unhealthy, but can't seem to maintain my weight eating normally. I think this is because most of my life I've either been trying to lose weight or not caring and pigging out without thought for the consequences. I'm hoping this time, once I've reached my ideal weight I can introduce more foods, but keeping a healthy eating plan. We'll see how it goes.
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Its why crash diets do not work. Go in slow, moderate steps. Relearn to eat. Learn how to have your treats but stay in calories limits. How big food actually looks when measured properly, so you know just how much you overeat.

1. Don't take food out that you like. Moderation is key. Some people on MFP eat sweets each and everyday
    2. Don't go on a crash diet 'lose as quick as i can!' Aim for 1lb a week.
    3. Add in exercise. This can give you some extra calories to eat back, but is also a part of a healthy lifestyle
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar position though my dieting has always been moderate and sensible (250 calorie daily deficit) so I don't know why I still struggle with binging. I'm not physically deprived, but mentally I don't want to give up the act of binging.

I was successful for a long time and lost over 30 lbs (which I haven't regained but I haven't lost more either).

At the height of my success, I would get some alone time and think "yay time to binge!" And then stop myself by realizing that no one "wins" when I do this. Certainly not me. I had forgotten that message for a while and am now thinking about it again.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I found cognitive behavioral techniques useful when I wanted to stop abusing alcohol and find them helpful to manage sabotaging thoughts about foods as well.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    OP, can you get yourself to a counselor? Often times these eating disorders can be helped with cognitive behavioral therapy and an antidepressant. I have a tendency to do the same thing, especially if I try to eat only 1200 calories a day, which is what MFP had me on. Instead I do the 5/2 intermittent fasting program which has been working quite well. That way, I get to eat a lot more food on eating days and I actually enjoy the fasting days. I have much better control over my blood sugars - blood sugar crashes led to binging in my case, and fasting has been proven to improve insulin sensitivity.
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I used to feel a lot like this, start well at the beginning of the week then give in an indulgence and feel it's all over so keep eating more and give up.
    This is my 3rd time on mfp and has taken this long for it to click about moderation.

I used to throw myself into a diet with this all or nothing attitude which wasn't healthy. I'm still not sure what exactly changed but, I started to realise that this needed to be a lifetime change that I will work to a goal slow and steady and take each day as it comes.

So if I'm not hungry in the morning I don't eat but recognising real hunger makes the difference. Some days are grazing days, some are feast days with family and friends and that's ok.
    This past 48 hours I've been working like a dog for a wedding today and I drove past macdonalds and throughly enjoyed a chicken sandwich and mozzarella dippers. It's kept me full for hours and it is working with my cal allowance for the day .
    Today I don't just give up and give in, I recognise the signs and I am in control.
  • Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Don't completely cut anything out- have it, just make it fit. I would go bat crazy without a bit of chocolate.

I bought loads of 100 kcal mini chocolate bars and munch on one of those once a day. Fits into my calories and keeps me happy that I can have a little treat and not break the calorie bank! :)