I'm fat and love it... But want to be slim

Options
When I was a teenager I used to eat whatever I wanted (as long as my mom didn't notice I stole from her secret snack stash), and didn't do much exercise besides the 2 weekly PE classes in school. And yet I was rather very slim, the thinnest in my family actually (I even managed to somehow have a bit of a six pack). Nonetheless times changed, I went to college and began having pancakes, bacon and eggs (loads of maple syrup) at least twice a week, sandwiches and burgers for lunch, snacked often on chocolate... Yeah those were the days <3.
After a few months I noticed that I had gained weight: my once very loose t-shirts now seemed to wrap around me and bulges started appearing. So naturally I did what had to be done, I bought bigger clothes!!! Yay!
This went on for a long time. I was an art student and once had to make a fullbody portrait of myself... That was when I realized that when I looked down, I could no longer see my feet, instead a big round belly covered my view. I entered denial and convinced myself it was just an accumulation of college stress, eating too many pancakes and maybe I should walk around a bit more. But when could I find the time? Finally I got the support I needed by joining my cousins husband and a friend's decision to start working out, our friend was already fit, he rock climbed and spent more time trekking and riding bike than anything else. So he guided us into shape: I woke up 4 am to drive 30 min to were they lived. We spent a month jogging in the cold 5 am air (mind you we live at 9,350ft Quito-Ecuador FYI, meaning it's a lot tougher to jog here with less oxygen). After a month I had amazingly dropped 10 pounds! I was very happy with the result, but had to stop because of final exams. After that I didn't get back to exercising... I fed myself the lie that I could easily lose weight, after all it had only taken me a month to lose 10 pounds, so how hard could it be?
Turns out, very.
Eventually I finished college and had all the time in the world to workout... Being unemployed gave me all the time I could ever need... Only I didn't exercise. Instead I ate too much, played bideo games, watched tv...all the good stuff ;) I had spent so much time in college I needed to reward myself with a bit of the good life. I told myself that when I got a job I would have to schedule my daily activities better and would include a morning or night routine to workout
I got the job, scheduled my workout times and set myself for greatness. But me being the lazy-*kitten* I am, got up every morning, went to work half asleep and got back to watch tv and continue sleeping... Fortunately I was at least not eating as unhealthy as I was used to (having a rather low income is a great way to avoid fast food!).

A few years later the economical crisis that gripped my country got me jobless again... What to do now? By this time I was living with my girlfriend (which, like me, enjoys a delicious Big Mac with large fries and a side of nuggets, yeah really healthy eaters). As our bellies got bigger and our wallets slimmer, realized we had no choice but to get healthy and fast. It was this simple: we could NOT afford one of us having any type of health problems.

So we decided to get into shape and start eating better. Unfortunately I learned that IF YOU WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT YOU MUST DO IT FOR YOURSELF. YOU are the one that's training. YOU are they one that's putting healthy or unhealthy food in your mouth. Sadly I realized I couldn't depend on my girlfriend to push my self into a better lifestyle, I HAD to do it by myself and for myself.

I'm 30 now and finally I'm just 33 pounds above my ideal weight. After losing 76 pounds, 33 seems like I can finally see the finishing line in what has been a very long race.
I tried many things to get were I am, I've jogged, walked, drank gallons of green tea, tried the fat burning pills, counted calories, measured my heartbeat, wasted money in gyms, spent countless hours investigating how to lose weight... I've done it all. I know it seems like the biggest struggle ever. But I can tell you that the formula for losing weight is not that hard, but requires A LOT OF WILL. In the end I've lost my weight by keeping things simple: find a few healthy meals that you actually like and just keep eating them, I know nothing can replace a nice slice of pizza (or in my case an entire box), a good hambruger, chocolates and gummy bears (trust me I still drool just thinking about them). But you have to push yourself, I still eat an occasional burger with fries and coke, but I compensate. I've dedicated myself to a static bicycle routine that I can manage, it's as hard to do now as it was when I started, but I've never stopped and hope to never stop. Yes, I adjust my training to what I can handle. Yes, I probably could do better and probably should. But in the end... I'm getting to my goal, and no matter what anyone says, I just keep doing what I can, it's my way and I'm getting results.

Replies

• Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Dracous89 wrote: »
    I got the job, scheduled my workout times and set myself for greatness. But me being the lazy-*kitten* I am, got up every morning, went to work half asleep and got back to watch tv and continue sleeping... Fortunately I was at least not eating as unhealthy as I was used to (having a rather low income is a great way to avoid fast food!).

A few years later the economical crisis that gripped my country got me jobless again... What to do now? By this time I was living with my girlfriend (which, like me, enjoys a delicious Big Mac with large fries and a side of nuggets, yeah really healthy eaters). As our bellies got bigger and our wallets slimmer, realized we had no choice but to get healthy and fast. It was this simple: we could NOT afford one of us having any type of health problems.

So we decided to get into shape and start eating better. Unfortunately I learned that IF YOU WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT YOU MUST DO IT FOR YOURSELF. YOU are the one that's training. YOU are they one that's putting healthy or unhealthy food in your mouth. Sadly I realized I couldn't depend on my girlfriend to push my self into a better lifestyle, I HAD to do it by myself and for myself.

I'm 30 now and finally I'm just 33 pounds above my ideal weight. After losing 76 pounds, 33 seems like I can finally see the finishing line in what has been a very long race.
    I tried many things to get were I am, I've jogged, walked, drank gallons of green tea, tried the fat burning pills, counted calories, measured my heartbeat, wasted money in gyms, spent countless hours investigating how to lose weight... I've done it all. I know it seems like the biggest struggle ever. But I can tell you that the formula for losing weight is not that hard, but requires A LOT OF WILL. In the end I've lost my weight by keeping things simple: find a few healthy meals that you actually like and just keep eating them, I know nothing can replace a nice slice of pizza (or in my case an entire box), a good hambruger, chocolates and gummy bears (trust me I still drool just thinking about them). But you have to push yourself, I still eat an occasional burger with fries and coke, but I compensate. I've dedicated myself to a static bicycle routine that I can manage, it's as hard to do now as it was when I started, but I've never stopped and hope to never stop. Yes, I adjust my training to what I can handle. Yes, I probably could do better and probably should. But in the end... I'm getting to my goal, and no matter what anyone says, I just keep doing what I can, it's my way and I'm getting results.

The all or nothing approach is not for everyone. I totally agree.

There seems to be this idea that if something is not perfect, it's bad. This approach leads many to go severely overweight.

On the MFP boards, I read many people trying to turn their entire life around, going from an exclusive diet of junk food and extremely sedentary life style, to a "7 days a week at the gym + vegan / no gluten no sugar no processed diet". And when they fail, they conclude: "I just can't lose weight", instead of wondering if they just went too far, trying to become someone they are not, in a couple of weeks.

I think those who don't succeed with their weight loss journey even though they try SO HARD, should in fact try to slack on "perfection" and find something that WORKS.

Life is not a goddam Instagram post. It's no one's business if our method is not admirable nor photogenic.

My two cents.

Keep it up, OP.