I feel like giving up.

Options
I lost 40 pounds through Weight Watchers about 20 years ago. I've not had much trouble maintaining other than an occasional 5-8 pound fluctuation which I get off using MFP (in recent years). Recently, I started tracking to lose a few pounds before my daughter's wedding which is May 14. Unlike previous attempts, the weight is just not coming off. In the past two weeks, I've lost 1.5 pounds. I stay at 1,200 calories and don't ever eat back my exercise calories. I work out quite a bit, and am a teacher, so I'm on my feet all day. Yes, I am weighing and measuring, and I have been hungry a lot, so there's no way I could eat less then I have been. I usually eat more than this when losing, but I wanted to go ahead and lose before the wedding, so I thought I could stay at 1,200 to get it off more quickly.
I feel very discouraged. I have not eaten one bite of cake at any of her showers, and have really been careful about every bite. I have used my calories for vegetables, lean protein, and whole grains. Otherwise I really would starve! I never believed in the "you're not eating enough" school of thought, but now I'm beginning to wonder. I am asking for any advice or insight. I just want to give up on this whole thing!
For reference, I just turned 50, I'm 5'3"'and weigh 117.2. I want to get down to 113 and have a range of 113-115 pounds. I have a very small build. I run or do long walks with hills 5 days a week. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You should add some strength training to your workout regime. I hear that really helps. Or consider signing up for weight watchers again since it was so successful for you last time. Drink lots of water b/c water weight can make the scale vary like 10lbs worth! You could also try cutting out gluten & see what happens. Honestly, for your height and age I think you are at a very healthy weight. I'm 5'3" as well & have varied in lbs from 110 to 180! My goal is 127 which is what I was when I was my healthiest & strongest.
    I really hope once this wedding passes you will allow yourself to refocus on living a happy & healthy life & toss that scale away!
  • StephanieJane2
    StephanieJane2 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I don't lose either, if I don't eat most of my exercise calories
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You are at a healthy weight for your height so you could eat at maintenance and shift to something like more strength training instead of losing a couple of pounds.
    The general recommendation at your size would be to aim for losing .5 lb a week not more than 1 lb a week. You should not feel dissapointed with your 1.5 lb loss from 2 weeks at all.
    Losing 2-4 lbs may be too much to expect for 3 weeks. You could retain that much weight in water. Watch your sodium intake. Keep your logging as accurate as you can. Check that the database entries that you are using are correct.
  • sndrd49
    sndrd49 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    So you need to lose 4 lbs and you've already lost 1.5? And the problem is......?
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Just like Lounmoun says.

An average of 0.75lbs per week is perfectly normal at your weight and height. In fact you could lose a little less and it would still be normal. If you want to lose faster, you'd have to decrease your calories to 700 /day or something.

Which I obviously do not recommend ...

So keep at it, you're doing great.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    sndrd49 wrote: »
    So you need to lose 4 lbs and you've already lost 1.5? And the problem is......?

This. OP, the less you have to lose the slower it's going to be and the tighter on weighing and logging everything you eat will be more important. You've already lost 1.5 in two weeks and with wanting to lose 4-5 lbs that's a fantastic rate of loss.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Why would you give up? I agree with @Lounmoun, 1.5 pounds in 2 weeks is great progress. Just stick with it, don't stress and it will probably happen by May 14th. And if it doesn't, it's not the end of the world and I don't think anyone is going to notice you didn't lose that other 2.5 pounds.
  • seanafvet
    seanafvet Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Drink water with lemon to start your day, and while teaching eat something every 2 hours to keep your metabolism going. You will be at your desired weight for your daughters wedding. Good luck
  • Jubee13
    Jubee13 Posts: 132 Member
    Options

I guess the problem is that I'm hungry a lot and working very hard and feel like I should be losing faster. I wouldn't care so much but I want to look and feel good at my daughter's wedding. My dress is very fitted.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Patience. There's no magic strategy. Keep up the good work.

BUT - look up threads on how to eat on a deficit while avoiding hunger. This might be helpful and keep you motivated, especially as the celebrations start.
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Jubee13 wrote: »

I guess the problem is that I'm hungry a lot and working very hard and feel like I should be losing faster. I wouldn't care so much but I want to look and feel good at my daughter's wedding. My dress is very fitted.

I understand you. It's hard to conciliate this reality - being hungry almost all the time, and seeing so little results, and wondering: will I be able to hold this for weeks or months ?

And to add to the frustration, those (well-intentioned) persons who swear that no one need to eat only 1200 cals to lose weight. Like I could totally lose steadily by eating 1500 cals a day, so I *must* be doing something wrong in my diet.

Or those who say that they eat 1200 cals a day but are never never hungry, plus they manage to fit red wine and ice cream and cheese burgers in their daily menus.

And don't get me started on those who say that if you don't eat enough you will never lose ... :|

Where I am trying to get at is: try to ignore what other tells you (except me :wink: ), even if it's meant to be positive. It is oddly disheartening when you don't seem to succeed like others do. That may explain why you are disappointed by what is actually and objectively a good result.

Also keep in mind that going from 125lbs to 120lbs, is not necessarily the same than going from 120lbs to 115lbs. For most people, it is significantly harder as the numbers go down. With your stats, you don't have that much fat left on the body.

So hang on, and take care. You know that the 2lbs you wish to lose will be the last of your concerns on the wedding day. :smile:
  • emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Im on 1200 calories too but never feel hungry really. Try using more calories on vegetables and other low calorie items but in large quantities it's worked for me. Ive lost 6.7lb in 2 weeks and i was only 140lb to start and 5'6.
    Jubee13 wrote: »
    I lost 40 pounds through Weight Watchers about 20 years ago. I've not had much trouble maintaining other than an occasional 5-8 pound fluctuation which I get off using MFP (in recent years). Recently, I started tracking to lose a few pounds before my daughter's wedding which is May 14. Unlike previous attempts, the weight is just not coming off. In the past two weeks, I've lost 1.5 pounds. I stay at 1,200 calories and don't ever eat back my exercise calories. I work out quite a bit, and am a teacher, so I'm on my feet all day. Yes, I am weighing and measuring, and I have been hungry a lot, so there's no way I could eat less then I have been. I usually eat more than this when losing, but I wanted to go ahead and lose before the wedding, so I thought I could stay at 1,200 to get it off more quickly.
    I feel very discouraged. I have not eaten one bite of cake at any of her showers, and have really been careful about every bite. I have used my calories for vegetables, lean protein, and whole grains. Otherwise I really would starve! I never believed in the "you're not eating enough" school of thought, but now I'm beginning to wonder. I am asking for any advice or insight. I just want to give up on this whole thing!
    For reference, I just turned 50, I'm 5'3"'and weigh 117.2. I want to get down to 113 and have a range of 113-115 pounds. I have a very small build. I run or do long walks with hills 5 days a week. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing great losing weight. I also want to add that sadly, it does get harder to lose the older we get. I have experienced this first hand.
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    You're small already, so like others have said 1.5 lbs in two weeks is wonderful, well done! Keep your sodium down in the run up to the event so you aren't retaining water, and enjoy the big day :)
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I am 42, also 5'3" and I weigh 124 pounds, aiming for 115. And I will not put in writing what I would do to be losing 1.5 pounds every two weeks! That is fantastic progress!