Sauna as exercise

Options
So I exercise regularly, but I also sit in the sauna after my workout for about 15 min. I want to know does that count as exercise? Because I don't see it in the panel of different exercises, so does it really make a difference? It certainly feels like it when I'm in there.

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't.
  • fit4itall
    fit4itall Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I believe you need to get your heart rate up to consider it exercise.
  • suediebee
    suediebee Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Well I'm sweating that has to count for something.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Uhhhh...no...you're just sitting there. It's very pleasant and all, but yeah...you're just sitting there...how could that be considered exercise?
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    suediebee wrote: »

It counts as fluid loss, exercise that raises your heart rate is what burns the calories for you.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

It's 80 degrees here today...I'm sitting on my patio and enjoying my Sunday and I'm sweating a little bit because I'm in the sun. I'm still just sitting here...I'm not exercising.

Sweating is just or body's way of regulating temperature...sweating =/= exercise. Exercise is something that is done that is going to functionally improve upon your fitness.
  • suediebee
    Options
    Well I certainly feel my heart rate go up, but that could just be because it's already up from working out. Well boo I thought it would count for something.
  • SiegaPlays
    SiegaPlays Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sweating just means you are loosing water in your body, that you need to regain again by drinking liquids or eating foods with a high value of water in it (cucumbers and tomatoes comes to mind). That part of the your program is is not weight loss. The exercise part is.
  • JulesLWM
    JulesLWM Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I wish it could count as exercise! It can help sweat out toxins and make skin clearer. You could burn slightly more calories in a sauna than sitting on your couch, because your body has to work a little harder to control your body temperature in very hot or very cold conditions. Stress relief is good for you, so it doesn't count for nothing, but it's not exercise. :)
  • suediebee
    Options
    As I said before I go in after a vigorous workout so my heart rate is already up, so maybe it just feels like like it's tougher than it is. Come on haven't you guys ever done hot yoga? That feels completely different than regular yoga.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    JulesLWM wrote: »
    It can help sweat out toxins and make skin clearer.
    If you're sweating out toxins, you need a hospital, not a sauna. :)

And to the OP, sorry, the only thing you're losing in a sauna is water weight. You need to guard against dehydration just as you would on a hot summer's day.

• cwolfman13
    Options
    As I said before I go in after a vigorous workout so my heart rate is already up, so maybe it just feels like like it's tougher than it is. Come on haven't you guys ever done hot yoga? That feels completely different than regular yoga.

It's still not "exercise"...you're not doing anything sitting in a sauna to functionally improve upon your fitness...that is what "exercise" is. You'll burn a few more calories than you would sitting on the couch...but that's still not "exercise"...c'mon...you burn calories just existing...a *kitten* ton of them...existing isn't "exercise"
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    In hot yoga you are moving around. It's very hard. In a hot sauna, you're just sitting, or sometimes lying there. Does this mean if I'm lying in s tanning bed and sweating right after a workout that I'm still exercising?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Just because you are sweating doesn't mean its exercise.
    I've saw people here log pushing a grocery cart, sex, walking to the mailbox as exercise. This is just another one of those things.
    If you burn a few extra calories by sitting in a sauna then consider it a bonus but that's about it.
    If you want something, you'll have to work for it.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Then go ahead and count it, you obviously know better. Good luck on your journey.