Knee friendly leg strength training

Options
Hi. I've been losing weight - almost 75 lbs - and a big part of that has been walking and hiking. I walk anywhere from 4 km to 9 km a day and am training for a 13 km walk in the summer. Lately I've noticed some pain in my knee and I know that I need to add some strength training to my workout. Any recommendations for exercises to strengthen and protect my knee?

Replies

• SassJess81
    SassJess81 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have a reconstructed femur due to a bone tumor. I've found that since I've strengthened my leg muscles I have less pain. Strong hamstrings are important for knee stability. Are you working out at home or in a gym?
  • Frank_Jr
    Frank_Jr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Google, 'AAOS Knee Conditioning Program'
    The first link is a PDF you can download. It's only 8 pages but, this will provide a great foundation.
  • Yivs_87
    Yivs_87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    @frankpairis Thanks for that program!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    There are many reasons why you may experience pain in the knee area.

While squatting free weights would probably help a lot, I would rather see why you are experiencing pain.

Possibly your body isn't use to length of your walks or your shoe life is used up for long walks. How old are the shoes? How many kms have you walked in them?
  • kennycbaker
    kennycbaker Posts: 13 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I would recommend leg press or leg extensions... Squatting will make your knees worse

Also there are supplements you can try - Glucosamine Chondriton ( if I misspelled I apologize). It works miracles for joint pain.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    The first link is a PDF you can download. It's only 8 pages but, this will provide a great foundation.
    Thanks, that's handy info.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I would recommend leg press or leg extensions... Squatting will make your knees worse

Also there are supplements you can try - Glucosamine Chondriton ( if I misspelled I apologize). It works miracles for joint pain.

I disagree.

When I was overweight it hurt my knees to walk ashy distance, sometimes to the point of swelling to grapefruit size.

I started "squatting" by sitting on boxes and standing up, not box squats, just sitting down and standing up. I progressed with shorter boxes. I also was instructed to do leg extensions and still regret the pain they caused.

I won't suggest squatting until you are ready but I am very close to squatting 405 and my knees have never felt better. I am curious how squats make the knee worse?

OP, find out if your knees are damaged or if it is just a symptom of being overweight then work with someone competent to progress.
  • geno3821
    geno3821 Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Foam rolling and stretching. Lots of foam rolling and stretching... If you sit for long periods at work and your hip flexors are tight, that can cause some discomfort down the leg including the knee.

If you simply *must* do leg extensions, stay away from heavy weight. That movement puts the knee in a vulnerable position and creates a lot of grinding on the back of the patella. There are better exercises to get strong quads like lunges, split squats or step ups will all work with less strain on the joint. Go to YouTube and look up some technique videos for what ever exercise you choose to do and try to follow as close as you can.
  • DreesPerformanceTraining
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts are safe for most people's knees. If the squats hurt, just stick with the deadlifts.
  • Yivs_87
    Yivs_87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts are safe for most people's knees. If the squats hurt, just stick with the deadlifts.

If done correctly they are safe. If done incorrectly... then ouch.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I had knee issues last year and surprisingly, my PT told me it was caused by a lack of hip strength! Google how to do clamshells with a band. These are fantastic. Lots of body weight stuff you could do, too. Also second squats - even without weight if you could start there, as well as activities that require balancing on one leg (single leg squats, for instance). Good luck!
  • Lenco007
    Lenco007 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I too have bad knees and have seen an orthopedic for them. Dropping weight was his first suggestion. Also avoid hard running, and concentrate on hip strengthening. Had strained my hip flexor and my physical therapist gave me stretching and strengthening exercises. One great exercise that helped with my form is called a hip hinge. It makes you keep proper posture while doing any type of squats. Additional movements he recommended: clamshell with band, straight leg raises, bridging, ball squeeze between your knees and wall slides (placing all pressure in your heels while forming a 90degree angle with your knees .) It is important with all of them to ensure proper form to prevent irritating your knees.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

No, Squatting with proper form and ROM will not make knee joints worse in general. Squatting is a natural movement that works not only the major leg muscles but the stabilzers.

I'm living proof that it improves the support of the knee joints as I was unable to walk because of a joint disease a few years ago and now I even play catcher for baseball at age 46 after introducing squats in my regime.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options

thank you - that's just what i needed!

• Frank_Jr
    Frank_Jr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    No problem everyone. I'm here to help. Let's smash life.