Sauna as exercise

Options

Replies

• pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Do you also count laying on the beach as exercise?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Do you also count laying on the beach as exercise?

All that walking in the hot sand to get there is exhausting! As is trying to discretely dislodge the sand outta your privates. <nods>
  • Yivs_87
    Yivs_87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    if your heart rate goes up in the sauna, you should probably leave and go to the dr.

^
    This.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Come on, now. No reasonable person can actually think that sitting in the sauna counts as exercise. Or that there's anything "tough" about literally sitting on a bench and not moving.

Here's a good rule of thumb: if you have to ask "Does this count as exercise?" then it's not exercise and you know it. You're just asking people to enable you in your quest to eat more. I have to give you credit, though - attempting to get people to agree with you that sitting in a sauna is a tough workout is one of the more ambitious goals I've seen in posts like this.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    LOL they will add it after they add sitting on the couch watching tv

The Compendium of Activities that Metabolic Equivalents are taken from does actually include sitting, it also has a category for religious activities, sitting in church which apparently has a slightly higher MET than just sitting, which does strike me as bizarre.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    suediebee wrote: »
    As I said before I go in after a vigorous workout so my heart rate is already up, so maybe it just feels like like it's tougher than it is.

You're stationary, not doing any work.

How do you think you're burning calories if you're not doing any work?
    Come on haven't you guys ever done hot yoga? That feels completely different than regular yoga.

Doesn't mean that it's burning more energy than other forms of yoga
  • faidwen
    faidwen Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It does NOT count as exercise, but it will help in reducing water weight from water retention due to the sweating.

So you MAY see some weight loss due to dehydration. :)
  • suediebee
    suediebee Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    faidwen wrote: »
    It does NOT count as exercise, but it will help in reducing water weight from water retention due to the sweating.

So you MAY see some weight loss due to dehydration. :)

I'll take it! Jk, I knew it didn't count as much, but I thought it might do something.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Well I'm sweating that has to count for something.

This is water weight, which you gain back after rehydrating yourself by drinking water (or beverage of choice). If this "timing" helps you for a weigh-in....then I guess it's something. But being dehydrated won't be a permanent state.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    No caloric burn for sauna sitting. You burn calories breathing, going to the bathroom, chewing food and swallowing. Heck, you burn calories growing hair and fingernails. Are you going to count those too?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I ate some spicy ramen yesterday that made me sweat. That doesn't mean it was exercise.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Well I'm sweating that has to count for something.

It does. It lowers your body temperature. You could die without it.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Just because you are sweating doesn't mean its exercise.
    I've saw people here log pushing a grocery cart, sex, walking to the mailbox as exercise. This is just another one of those things.
    If you burn a few extra calories by sitting in a sauna then consider it a bonus but that's about it.
    If you want something, you'll have to work for it.

Best answer.

But isn't working for something maybe hard?
  • suediebee
    suediebee Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I really didn't think it did much, just maybe a little.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    Come on, now. No reasonable person can actually think that sitting in the sauna counts as exercise. Or that there's anything "tough" about literally sitting on a bench and not moving.

Here's a good rule of thumb: if you have to ask "Does this count as exercise?" then it's not exercise and you know it. You're just asking people to enable you in your quest to eat more. I have to give you credit, though - attempting to get people to agree with you that sitting in a sauna is a tough workout is one of the more ambitious goals I've seen in posts like this.

Burned more Calories typing OP than lying in the sauna.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Larissa_NY wrote: »

Burned more Calories typing OP than lying in the sauna.

The sad thing is that this is probably the literal truth.
  • jonthemusse
    jonthemusse Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You people are doing it wrong. You don't just sit in a sauna. You beat yourself senseless with a birch broom, vigorously throw buckets of water unto the rocks to drive your neighbors out, and cry shivering in fetal position once they leave. I have not even touched the subject of curls with bottles of beer, or the inevitable fisticuffs that follow a successful sauna.

Seriously though, do it long enough and your metabolism is in overdrive. Count an Oreo for every half an hour at least.

This from a person that doesn't need to to use a loan word to say sauna.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    No!