Best ways to get into excersizing?

Options
Hi, I have lost 40 pounds so far by watching what I eat and walking sometimes (It took me a year to lose the weight because I went slowly Hardly working out) I used to play sports and I enjoy walks I just don't like running or jogging, however I want to run and jog sometimes and I overall want to become active. How can I stay motivated and what are good ways to start? I'm currently 5'5 and 138 pounds so I'm looking for something that won't be so hard for me at the beginning. Thanks for the help!

Replies

• positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I never thought I would like running and in fact was very sedentary most of my life, but I'm now running for an hour daily @ 3.8 mph. I started with C25K app (I used the Zen Labs one but I don't really think that matters). I walked for a year or so before I began jogging, btw.

But here's the thing: Walking is exercise too. If you really don't want to run or jog, why not stick with walking? Doing what you like is better than doing what you don't like and finding excuses not to exercise. That's an epic fail just waiting to happen.

If you want to become more active why not either take a dance class (i.e., Zumba, belly dancing, ballet barre, BodyCombat) or something totally different like swimming. Strength training would be a good addition. There are free strength training videos on the web. You can try FitnessBlender, they have all kinds of fitness videos (including stretching and yoga) for all levels of fitness and time constraints: https://www.fitnessblender.com/
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Sign up for a sport you like at your community college. I took sailing and it led me to skipper a catamaran around Baja as well as several more cruising and racing opportunities.

Also check with your city parks and recreation for league sports or classes. My city offers a variety of activities including tennis, soccer and sailing. You can also join leagues for your age group.

Start with an activity you enjoy. You may find yourself going to the gym to get faster/stronger so you can be better at your activity.
  • Jelenajelenajelenajelena
    Options
    We're the same weight/height. You should give some excersize videos a chance. They range from kickboxing to yoga to dance. Or if you like the outdoors you should just try going for a bike ride. Honesty, I always hated excersizing in the past. But the more I do, the better it makes me feel. Now it feels as though I'm addicted to that awesome way it makes me feel! Good luck finding what works for you :)
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    minimalism.