Two diligent weeks and nothing????

Options
I'm 19, 5'5", and 171 lbs. I'm trying to lose that freshman 15 plus some, and a little over two weeks ago, I started being really diligent about diet and exercise. Working out 3 times a week to start and logging everything I eat (keeping it at or under 1200). I try to lose weight at some point just about every year, and every time it seems pretty hopeless, even though I've always been a very active person. I was so confident in myself this time, and I was super diligent. I haven't even had any alcohol (yes, I'm underage, but this is college), because I was sick and now I'm on antibiotics. I would have thought at least THAT would have sped some things up.

I lost about 2lbs in the first week, but I figured that since I weighed in right before my period, it was just the excess water weight you hold on to around that time. Fast forward to now, and I have lost absolutely nothing since those initial two lbs. In fact, it seems that I have even gained 0.2lbs, which really doesn't make sense based off of my calorie intake/expenditure. I haven't even had any cheat days!

Is it normal to not lose literally anything right away? Naturally, I'm going to stick it out and not give up, but when should I begin to see results? Every other time I've done this, I've seen results within a week that continue, surely but slowly.

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Do you weigh the same way each and every time (eg, before eating and drinking, after bathroom, same time each day, clothed/naked? Also, do you weigh your food with a food scale?

Two weeks is far too soon to tell. :)
  • AllegraSteenson
    AllegraSteenson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself every few days, but I do it naked, as soon as I wake up and right after I use the bathroom.

I'm in college, and sadly I can't really weigh my food since I have to eat at the dining hall
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    It's only been 2 weeks...be patient. You didn't gain the freshman 15+ in 2 weeks, right?
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
  • AllegraSteenson
    AllegraSteenson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    No, I didn't gain it in two weeks, but looking back at my logs it is looking a little more like it's been 3 weeks, and I'm just really surprised at the lack of progress compared to my past history.
  • sarbu24
    sarbu24 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    What are you eating at the dining hall? are sure it's under 1200 cals?
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    If you're eating at the dining hall, how are you logging your food? Are you guessing?
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Can you open your food diary?
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    A couple things come to mind. The most obvious is if you are eating at the dining hall you may not be sure what your calories actually are. The only thing I can suggest there is try to suggest sticking to fruits and vegetables, and maybe even buying a scale no matter what it looks like to make sure of what you are eating. Get proteins from eggs or meats that you know aren't fried. Don't be afraid to quiz the cook.
    Another thing would be if this is an increase in exercise for you, you may be retaining water to help heal muscles. Two weeks isn't that long a time period and you may find in a week or two you have a good loss. The good thing is you aren't really gaining and it may be just a couple tweaks to fix.
  • phste
    phste Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Do you have a good scale? If not I recommend purchasing one. You might be over estimating your calories and actually eating more than you think you are.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    1. Try looking up your dining hall online. Most colleges have the menu and nutrition facts online for all the different halls on campus. This will make it easier to see the calories in everything. Then you'll just have the issue of eyeballing, but it's better than nothing
    2. Weight loss isn't linear. You won't lose every week, and sometimes you might gain. If you had something salty (which, if it was at a dining hall, it probably was), your weight will likely reflect that the next morning
    3. Drink plenty of water
    4. If you just up and started exercising, your muscles will hold on to water for repair. Once your body becomes used to the new increased activity, you'll be fine on that front
    5. Maybe consider changing your weekly goal to something less aggressive. I know 2 pounds a week sounds great, and you're probably wondering why on earth I would say to eat more, but charging out the gate full force could lead to later failure. It makes weight loss seem much more daunting than it really is, which might lead you to give up, or you could reach a point where you feel deprived and go on a binge.

Edit: Oh! And at some of the stations, they'll cook to order. Consider asking them to use water instead of oil (in things that they use oil for, like steaming veggies). They drown the sumb*tch in oil. Probably 400 calories worth right there. They have water to use if you ask them. And if they don't, bring them a cup from the fountain

And of course, best of luck! Just keep at it, and you'll be fine!