Used to exercise daily and now just cannot do it except....

Options
I used to be a daily runner and loved it. Did it for years and years and then I let myself go due to various personal reasons ( will save you all the TMI) and now I need to lose 130lbs. I can no longer run and even walking is a bit painful but I can do it as I love the outdoors. I want to do super hard workouts like all these beachbody or HIT programs. I am making progress with my eating finally but for some reason I dread working out when it was the thing I loved in the past. Since I cannot run , if I walked two hours per day ( I can make time for this) would
It be as good as doing these hi intensity workouts ( I have also never been a gym person). I was thinking of walking two hours per day and doing about 15 minutes of core/ toning exercises and then yoga once a week. After I get the first 20-40 lbs off I can start trying to jog a bit and also work on more strength training but right now just walking is a challenge. Any advice if that has worked for anyone. I know walking two hours may seem like a lot but I have time in my schedule , want to speed up my fitness level without injury, and I have to walk my dogs for one hour and then I like to have an hour for myself

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,030 Member
    Options
    Start where you can - fitness builds on itself and is a progressive thing. Just start. I think putting too much pressure on yourself too soon could lead to injury. Just my thoughts.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Walking, yoga and all that is fine. Start where you're comfortable and know you're not going to hate it. Don't worry about how much you're burning right now. You're just starting out and going too far into some of those BB and HIT programs could be detrimental at this stage. I've been working out 4-6x a week since January and even some of those programs are difficult for me because I started extremely out of shape.
  • evildeadedd
    evildeadedd Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Walking and eating at a deficit is a great plan. Exercise is great for your health, but a calories deficit is why you lose weight.
    In the past the fact that I used to practice muay Thai has made going to the gym very difficult for me. I would always want to jump right into my old routines, and end up getting hurt or embarrassed, usually both. I am trying to take it slow this time, and. Find it is working much better. Good luck.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If walking is a challenge, you might want to start with a shorter session than 2 hours at a time. Otherwise, I think your approach is a good one. Once you build up a fitness base, I don't think you will dread exercise. It will become more fun and less like torture. ;)
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are on the right track to me! I started with a spin class, worked into lifting some weights and went to walking more. Now I am running, spinning and lifting 6 days a week and loving it. All this over the space of a year. You can do it.
  • hstoblish
    hstoblish Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Repairing after damage is hard mentally because there is a certain frustration in not being able to do what you did before. If you're anything like me, it's a real hit to the ego.

Walking is great. If you can afford a physiotherapist, they can help you rebuild safely. Your abdomen will build back faster than you think. And soon, you'll be on the other side of this kicking some *kitten*.

Good luck. You've got this.
  • hstoblish
    hstoblish Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    (Please do not kick kittens)
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    After my spinal surgery, all I could do was walk and swim. I started at 20 minutes a day and worked up to 2 hours a day. I don't have time to walk 2 hours every day with my current schedule, but I try to do at least 5 miles every other day, or get to the pool for an hour. I just bought one of those Gazelle striding machines and it's working well for cardio on days when I just don't have time to get out.
  • laralosingit42
    laralosingit42 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone !
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Just try to avoid the all-or-nothing thinking... Start where you are & build up. Instead of thinking in terms of hours walked, step counting might be beneficial. When I started I could see how easily I got to 10k daily steps so I went toward a 100k weekly goal. I don't walk the same amount every day, my schedule wouldn't allow that.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Also: consider a free weights program. It's fun to experience that progression.