5 stone to lose

Options
SandraMGP
SandraMGP Posts: 17 Member
Hi, I'm Sandra from Warwickshire, I have been overweight for the last 20 years or so after going through a divorce and done several diets and lost around 2 stone at a time, After losing my dad in 2012 and then unexpectedly my mum last year I am now the heaviest I've ever been. I have my down spells and try to stay away from food while I work through my feelings. I have two holidays coming up, May and June so I know it's going to be hard.
I have recently joined a yoga class, I walk 3-5 miles up to 3 times a week weather permitting. I feel it's now or never.
My eating is not as bad as it used to be, but not brilliant either. I am going to post my food diary every day to keep track of where I am failing. I need to stay the distance and not give up after two months.
I am quite social and eat out once a week with friends, I try to pick where we eat so I can have some control but it's not always possible and I'm not always that disciplined.
I need help to keep me going and to get on track. I am a fat bird who wants to be a fit bird at 52! And would like similar friends to chat and motivate each other. Thanks for reading this and hope you'll join me. Sx

Replies

• mumbles2013
    mumbles2013 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Hey Sandra soon to be super fit bird!!!! Lol
    I've been here a little while now and I've still got 5 stones (70lbs) to go too!!!! Let's do it together hun!!!
    You've got the right idea to just log and see where you're going wrong. Firstly just put in all your stats and try to stay withing the calories allowance set up for you by the app. As long as you stay in a calorie deficit you will be melting away.
    Sending you a FR xx
  • SandraMGP
    Options
    Hi Mumbles, yes, that would be good doing it together, I will update my stats. Tomorrow I have yoga and my meals planned, using slightly less cals as I went over today. Hope that puts me on track. Thank you for your support, maybe we can be fit birds together! Lol. S
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    You sound like you've been through an awful lot. Making some friends on here will be great support and encouragement for you. Do you think you may benefit from a weight loss club too? I know they can be expensive but it could be another nice way to connect.
  • callemiramar
    callemiramar Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi Sandra! I think we have about the same amount of weight to get rid of. Sending FR!
  • SandraMGP
    Options
    Hi Mirabelle, yes it's been difficult and still is some days. I am already enjoying the connections and support of like minded people in the same boat as me. I have joined a club years ago and didnt find it supportive, I found it clicky and made me feel more isolated. So that has put me off trying again. I am posting my diary and already incorporating some exercise due to the inspiration of people who are succeeding on this site and this gives me the encouragement I need. I know this is making a difference to how I feel about my weight loss journey. Thanks for the suggestion but it's not for me.
  • SandraMGP
    Options
    Hi Callemiramar, yes I believe we have, so we can compare notes. We can do it, I'm feeling pretty determined, though I have two holidays, a christening and wedding in the next ten weeks so it's going to be a challenge!
  • Rosiev2014
    Rosiev2014 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi!!! I'm a mum to three children, aged 33 and am hoping to lose 70lbs now that my baby-having days are complete...time to sort myself out and do this for my health and me! I'll attempt to send a friend request...although not sure how to at the minute!!
  • BelleCakes2018
    Options
    Hey you do whatever feels good for you. They were never for me either, but I find MFP and the friends I have made here to be very therapeutic in my weight loss journey! (And helps keep me logging in EVERY DAY!)
  • SandraMGP
    Options
    Hi Mirabelle, same I find it therapeutic and inspiring to have friends on the same journey, no judgements, and really keeps me going. It's something I look forward seeing how everyone is doing. Just refused chocolate - I'm on it!
  • BelleCakes2018
    edited April 2016
    Options
    SandraMGP wrote: »
    Hi Mirabelle, same I find it therapeutic and inspiring to have friends on the same journey, no judgements, and really keeps me going. It's something I look forward seeing how everyone is doing. Just refused chocolate - I'm on it!

Lol - go you!!
    I have to admit i've eaten a vast amount of chocolate the last few days, but I have a good "monthly" reason (excuse?!) My calories didn't go over as I felt ill and wasn't eating other foods - so in my opinion the chocolate was okay ;)
    And I put it on my status and had all the support in the world from my friends.. which was lovely!
  • SandraMGP
    Options
    Oh I think you are allowed chocolate when not feeling well. It really does help - well I thought so. Luckily I don't have that problem anymore - yayyy! And even better that you didn't gain. And you logged it, which is really good. You'll be fine in a few days and raring to go again.
  • BelleCakes2018
    Options
    SandraMGP wrote: »
    Oh I think you are allowed chocolate when not feeling well. It really does help - well I thought so. Luckily I don't have that problem anymore - yayyy! And even better that you didn't gain. And you logged it, which is really good. You'll be fine in a few days and raring to go again.

Ahh yes I always log it - so I can be honest to myself (and others who read my diary!) :)
  • SandraMGP
    Options
    Slightly over my calories yesterday, i looked up the calorie content of the meal I was having but they didn't mention the rice and mini poppadums which come with my low calorie chickpea curry! Doh! So having less today and walked to work. Already feel better for walking that 15 mins into work. How's everybody else's day going? It's a beautiful day which always helps! Looking forward to a massage later.
  • ScotsLass78
    ScotsLass78 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hi there....I'm in Oxfordshire and I've got about 6-7 stone to lose, but I'm trying not to think about the big number as it can be quite daunting! I have been on MFP for just over 4 weeks and lost about half a stone so far. I've had a few stumbles, but having like minded friends here has been a great support and motivator. Please feel free to add me if you're still looking for people to support and motivate along the way :smiley:
  • SandraMGP
    Options
    Hi ScotsLass, you are doing well, steady loss is the best. Yes, it is daunting to think of it as a whole. I have broken up my loss in my mind, into two lots. At least 2 stone by September as i'm going on holiday again and would like to be slimmer for that one! And the remainder by this time next year, so I'm ready for the next holiday season. Everyone has stumbles, don't let it phase you, just carry on the next day - you'll do it. I am doing the 10K Race for Life in June, so I walk as much as I can (weather permitting) to prep for it and increase my fitness. It gives me a little target to aim for.
  • ScotsLass78
    Options
    Hi Sandra, thanks for the add :) I've given myself little goals to work towards too. At the moment, I'm trying to walk around 8k a day. I walk to work, so that helps, it just means I have to make myself get out and about at lunch time. Good luck for the 10k!
  • SandraMGP
    Options
    Well done you for walking around 8K a day. I was driving to work - lazy I know, but when the weather gets bad I take the car and then never stop taking it! Now I'm walking except if I already have arrangements straight from work. I walked today - I'm trying to make it a habit! I only get 30 mins for lunch, so by the time I've got my trainers on and gone outside I'd have to come back in. Keep it up. My first weigh in on Monday - need to continue to be good over the weekend! I think that's my mantra for the next three days. lol.
  • BeaRocknRollBride
    BeaRocknRollBride Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Sandra! I have around 5 stone to loose too, I was progressing well and piled it all plus more back on when I lost my Aunty last year. Sent a few FR to those around a similar goal, hoping to find a bit of motivation and help! x
  • ScotsLass78
    Options
    I don't have a car so I have to walk, but I'm glad for that now (well I do grumble about the rain now and then). We seem to be having dry, sunny mornings and wet afternoons, so I've been leaving about an hour before I start so I do a nice long walk before work, and I don't feel too bad if I don't go out if it's raining at lunch time.
    I'm not sure if it's the best way, but I weigh in on Friday's so I have 4 days to undo any weekend damage, but maybe a Monday is a good motivator to be good over the weekend!
    Good luck for Monday! x
  • johnbatzer
    johnbatzer Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    As someone who has lost 5 stone (I've actually put about half a stone back on since then was just too difficult), I'll tell the only "trick" I found was to log EVERYTHING, even if I knew I was going to go over my calorie allotment.