Salad dressings

Options
brendapulver
brendapulver Posts: 1 Member
Love my salads but I really need a healthier version. I'm not a fan of vinegar and I avoid low fat processed dressings. Ideas?

Replies

• torichick2006
    torichick2006 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You don't like any kind of vinegar? No balsamic or apple cider kind either? I've been trying out some of these from this website healingfeast.com/Dressings.cfm, but a lot of them do incorporate some sort of vinegar..
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    You could use citrus juice in place of vinegar. I see a lot of dressing that use lemon juice. Or tomato base dressings? Tomato has a bit of acidity so they maybe a good substitute for vinegar as well.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2012/10/fire-roasted-tomato-dressing.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/04/creamy-cucumber-dressing.html

Also avocado is a good ingredient to make dressings creamy. Not low fat but healthy fat.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Salsa - I make my own, cottage cheese works too since a little can coat your ingredients and you can add herbs and spices to it, citrus is a good idea - I love lime squeezed on a salad that has been sprinkled with cumin, chili powder, salt pepper. Orange can be really good squeezed over Asian spices.

Depends on what veg/meats nuts etc you have
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    How about a yogurt based dressing?
  • yooperMI
    yooperMI Posts: 6 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    We add pickled beets to a lot of our garden salads...use juice for the dressing. Also add a 1/4 cup of cottage cheese to the top. I give it a 10/10 for a salad.
  • DeviatedNorm
    DeviatedNorm Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    My main non-vinegar go-tos are:

Cottage cheese or yogurt with seasonings and a bit of lemon
    or
    Just a generous squeeze of orange
  • mjsmamma
    mjsmamma Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    For a mexican style dressing I use 1/4 of a ripe avocado mashed, mixed with 1/2 c fat free plain greek yogurt, and add lime and a cilantro boullion cube...so good
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Ok, you're not a fan of vinegar. I put half a tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of Harold's Gormay Texican Purdy Hot Pickuls juice with a smattering of dill seed on my salad which had 10 g 'Spring Mix' leaves, 15 g mozzarella, and 40 g tomatoes. It tasted wonderful to me, but the main ingredient is so rare in the country that I won't suggest any old pickle juice.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Lemon juice, olive oil and Mrs. Dash with a hint of fresh garlic.