Calories in/ calories out

Options
Hi, I've been using your app for about a yr. And enjoy it. But if you can help. I'm on a 1200 calorie per day limit, but with exercise I burn additional 600 calories? Am I supposed to eat an additional 600? Cause if I burn 600, of the 1200, aren't I under 600 calories a day leaving me in starvation mode? Because I haven't been doing that and wondering if tgats holding me back. In calculation I'm only taking in 600 calories if i've burned 600. Please help

Replies

• hstoblish
    hstoblish Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Yes. The theory is that you eat back your exercise calories. Some recommend that you only eat back a part because MFP "overestimates" exercise calories. Depending on your weight and goals, eating 1200 might be low. There are some great threads here about setting goals and eating calories back.

Good luck!
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Well no such thing as starvation mode, so don't worry about that. But yes. MFP doesn't set up your calories to include exercise. So it gives you that back to eat. Some do and some don't. Completely up to you.

In general if you do eat them back, only eat about 50%-75%. Like it was said, MFP can sometimes overestimate calories burned. MFP can't really take into consideration your intensity level during your workouts.
  • christycurrence75
    christycurrence75 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should eat them back in theory but usually because you you're losing too much too quickly. If you don't lose then eating even more would kinda not work :) Don't you think?