Knee surgery

Options
So i had knee surgery feb 17 for torn meniscus an ligaments to be reattached trying to lose weight but struggling with building my knee strength back any tips

Replies

• fitnessdahlc
    fitnessdahlc Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was a long distance runner and first tore my meniscus and instead of listening to the pain I kept running until eventually my knee locked up on a run and my doctor said my meniscus was frayed. So, I had surgery, but it never got better. When I went back to the surgeon months later he had me start physical therapy which made a huge difference!! Get a really good physical therapist!! Anyways, life happened and I let myself gain 40 pounds in the last couple years so I'm back doing my therapy on my own, running 3 miles, and strength training. When I lost my ability to run, I became unmotivated and kind of depressed and let healthy eating and exercise go. But I've been back for 2 months and lost an average of 2-2 1/2 pounds a week. Are you able to get exercise like swimming, upper body resistance training, and/or physical therapy? I have found some great exercises to build strength around the knee and ways of exercising that don't put alot of stress on it. Nutrition has been the key to my weight loss so far but exercise has really been motivating.
  • Frank_Jr
    Frank_Jr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Google, 'AAOS Knee Conditioning Program,' the first link should be a PDF file or you to download and or print.