Fruits while losing weight

Options
So, there's a lot on sites about how eating a lot of fruits (melons in particular) contain a lot of carbs. Do you recommend cutting out fruits while trying to lose weight or keeping them and just having them in moderation?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a couple of servings a day. You could lose weight on a controlled amount of fruit and nothing else, but this may not be healthy. Choose the lower %sugar fruits and smaller portion sizes if you're concerned.
  • anthony150paolucci
    anthony150paolucci Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Carbs won't make you gain weight. Excess calories is what causes weight gain. If you want to watch your carbs for personal reasons then yes, having them in moderation is key.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I focus more on hitting my protein, fibre, and fat goals, the carbs fill in the rest. I don't even watch sugars. I got fat eating way too much food overall, not from fruits specifically. You don't need to cut anything out. Balance. Find what works for you.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I would starve if I didn't eat fruit. Or continue to gain weight, because I would be eating other things, like cookies. Fruit helps (but doesn't eliminate) my sweet tooth, tastes good, keeps me from snacking on high calorie snacks, and makes me feel good. I prefer to eat more fruit and see a slow reduction in my weight, than avoid it because it has sugar in it.
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    As long as you eat your fruit instead of drinking fruit juice, you are probably fine. You'd have to eat a TON of fruit to be blowing your calorie budget on fruit alone. That said, you still wanna keep an eye on the calories.

Berries are a good choice, lower sugar and higher fiber content. Blackberries are great for this. You can eat a whole cup for like 70 calories and quite a bit of fiber.
  • jamesnewberrysr
    jamesnewberrysr Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I find that smaller fruits and vegetables have more taste. I will have an orange for breakfast, a peeled apple for lunch and drained and rinsed canned cherries or other canned fruit for dinner. (about 1/2 cup). This would be the most sugar I would accept on a daily basis.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eliminate carbohydrates to lose weight. If you enjoy fruit, have it. Just make sure you're logging the calories accurately (and that it isn't crowding out other things you need, like fat and protein).
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    excess calories, regardless of the source, will cause you to gain weight if you aren't being active or exercising regularly to get rid of those excess calories. fruit may have carbs, but they are good carbs. fruit also has other nutritional value to help with weight loss. cutting out ANY food group is a recipe for disaster in the long run. EVERYTHING, food and drink wise, in moderation is healthy.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I typically eat 4-6 servings of fruit a day, and average 200-250g of carbs a day.... didnt' stop me from losing 50lbs overall.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    So, there's a lot on sites about how eating a lot of fruits (melons in particular) contain a lot of carbs. Do you recommend cutting out fruits while trying to lose weight or keeping them and just having them in moderation?

I typically cut out high sugar fruits (apples, bananas, etc.) but eat berries and melons in moderation
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I lost 95 pounds so far, am diabetic, and still manage to eat a lot of fruit. My blood sugar is also well under control, even though I prefer fruit to most veges. Fruit has an impact, depending on what else we eat day to day. I could never cut it out. I mostly eat cherries, other berries, banana, mango and dates. Yum. Then I very often add protein powder as a shake, as I prefer it to meat.

Different things work for most of us, but as long as our food is balanced, any food is workable.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I was eating a pound of fruit daily when I lost the majority of 55 pounds. I did CICO.
  • ashleyjongepier
    ashleyjongepier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit all the time, I eat carbs 50-70% of my diet and I've lost over 145 lbs. I don't see anything wrong with it unless you need to be careful with sugar. If you like fruit, keep on eating it
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Love my fruits....
    Today I had a star fruit, tomorrow some melon and a banana...
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton of fruit, but I'm also not worried about carbs.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    the carbs sugar thing is nonsense unless medically told to not eat them. I eat breads, rice, pastas, high carb fruits pretty much daily am almost at my goal back to my weight i was from 16-on. My husband eats an insane amount of all carbs fat and protein. cico cico cico
  • nashvillenellie
    nashvillenellie Posts: 75 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Eat your fruit and be happy! Fruit is a much better choice than eating junk food! I am a diabetic, but I found when I eat fruit if I pair it with some sort of protein whether it be peanut butter, or plain greek yogurt I can eat what I like. The protein keeps my sugar from spiking. I eat fruit every day. Also if you eat bananas pick the ones that are not over ripe. The banana's with black spots on the peel are the ones that are more sugary.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I don't eat fruit but I have a low carb goal and they don't fill me up. I do try to get a serving here or there for the micro-nutrients.