Reaching Protein Macros but spilling over on fat, help

Options
Hi everyone. I've just started tracking my macros for cutting. I am 40%protein, 35% carbs and 25% fats.
I'm hitting my protein grams well, but it means spilling over on the fats around 20g or so. I've gone through my diary and cut and egg and added more egg white instead, but the other stuff I can't fathom cutting - my chicken breast for lunch with half an avocado, and my beautiful salmon fillet for dinner. It seems crazy to not eat a lovely protein packed fillet of salmon for the sake of the fat. What are your thoughts?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. As an FYI I still have leftover carbs despite wholegrain toast, sweet potato and freekeh Bt not so worried about that. Thanks!!! Xx

Replies

• shirlw62
    shirlw62 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It doesn't differentiate from good or bad fats which is a shame. If it's good fats I wouldn't concern myself too much. If it's a fatty piece of meat sending you over, ok could understand, but not salmon or other oily fish. It's so good for you.
  • Evelinejedwab
    Evelinejedwab Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Don't worry going over the fat as long as it's good fat. I worry more going over the protein as that creates a lot of strain on the kidneys. You loose a lot of minerals and calcium also that way.
  • Knapp417
    Knapp417 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I too am having the same problem. My doctor wants me to do 70% protein, 30% carbs no fat. How do you eat 70% protein with 0% fat. Can't figure it out. Ughh
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    All...please read "Always Hungry?" by Dr. David Ludwig.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think your macro goals are insanely off. Calories should be your main concern, and then hitting enough protein and fat. But we are talking 20-25% protein and 30-45% fat (not the other way around).
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I think your macro goals are insanely off. Calories should be your main concern, and then hitting enough protein and fat. But we are talking 20-25% protein and 30-45% fat (not the other way around).

Based on what total caloric intake? Percentage macro breakdown is a general guide and anyone using them should be basing them off their body's requirements for protein and fat intake which are derived from total body weight or lean mass content.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    All...please read "Always Hungry?" by Dr. David Ludwig.

I quote: "overeating doesn’t make us fat; it’s the process of getting fat that has made us overeat." If you believe that load of woo then your B.S. detector is broken.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Knapp417 wrote: »
    I too am having the same problem. My doctor wants me to do 70% protein, 30% carbs no fat. How do you eat 70% protein with 0% fat. Can't figure it out. Ughh

Why on EARTH does your doctor want you to do this?!
  • thewildair
    thewildair Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    As long as you are hitting your protein and calorie goals, I don't see why fat should be an issue. Dietary fat does not turn into body fat unless you are eating at a caloric surplus.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

This isn't healthy--your body needs fats to function properly. Even plants contain some fats--where do you think canola and olive oils come from?
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    as long as the fats are not from some processed thing and they are from healthy source like olive oil, coconut oil, nuts, peanut butter u are fine, even butter is good if its quality one
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If your macros aren't letting you eat the food you want, then it isn't working for you and should change your macros to something that does work so you'll be more likely to stick with it.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

Why on EARTH does your doctor want you to do this?!

This. Also, if your doctor wants you to go on a diet that insane, you need to be referred to a registered dietician because a nutrient balance like that will absolutely leave you deficient on a ton of nutrients.
  • timberflake
    timberflake Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    First off, what's you calorie goal and how did you arrive at that figure? It could be that you're calories are low and you could increase it to allow yourself more fat.

Ignore people who say your macro splits are wrong, if you feel good eating that split then you keep at it.

Bottom line you need your calories low enough to prompt weight loss (10-15%) is usually enough, then play with your macro splits to find what works for you, you could drop 5-10% from your protein and add it to your fat?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

@Knapp417 I would change doctors if I were you.. 0% fat is incredibly unhealthy and near impossible to do. Fat is an essential macro, your health will go down quickly with out it.

What was this "doctors" reasoning behind recommending this??? I hope he doesn't think eating fat makes you fat..
  • Densans
    Densans Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Stop using ratios, its outdated really.
    Get 0.8g protein per lbs
    0.4g fat per lbs

then let the rest of the calories fall however they do, if it is on fat, protein or carbs is your choice but those minimums should be held

If you are very overweight use your ideal weight.
  • stillwaterrose
    stillwaterrose Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Budjola wrote: »
    as long as the fats are not from some processed thing and they are from healthy source like olive oil, coconut oil, nuts, peanut butter u are fine, even butter is good if its quality one

Thank you! Yes the only fat is from salmon, flaxseed, olive oil for cooking, so all healthy fat. Not eating any processed foods whatsoever :-) thank you!
  • stillwaterrose
    Options
    thewildair wrote: »
    As long as you are hitting your protein and calorie goals, I don't see why fat should be an issue. Dietary fat does not turn into body fat unless you are eating at a caloric surplus.

Thanks! Yes this absolutely makes sense! My calorie goals are doing fine. I am not overweight at all, just trying to build more muscle and strip a % or two of body fat ready for my trip in 5 weeks. But I also read that fat is essential for protein absorption - so then it can't be completely bad. Also my fats are all good fats - avocado, olive oil, flaxseed etc. Phew so good to have some answers haha!
  • stillwaterrose
    Options
    Hi everyone. I've just started tracking my macros for cutting. I am 40%protein, 35% carbs and 25% fats.
    I'm hitting my protein grams well, but it means spilling over on the fats around 20g or so. I've gone through my diary and cut and egg and added more egg white instead, but the other stuff I can't fathom cutting - my chicken breast for lunch with half an avocado, and my beautiful salmon fillet for dinner. It seems crazy to not eat a lovely protein packed fillet of salmon for the sake of the fat. What are your thoughts?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. As an FYI I still have leftover carbs despite wholegrain toast, sweet potato and freekeh Bt not so worried about that. Thanks!!! Xx

Guys you have all been amazing. What a cool support network this is. Thank you so much for your insightful comments. X