Protein?

Options
sexymom04
sexymom04 Posts: 263 Member
Is it possible to eat too much protein? If yes is it bad?

Thanks

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Waste of money or excluding something else are the only downside that come to mind.
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    There is a lot of debate about this. What I learned in nutrition was that a very high protein diet over time, particularly in someone who isnt active and building muscle, may contribute to chronic kidney disease. There are people here who will debate this and say to always eat more. I think eating moderately over your goal is not going to be big deal for your health overall.
  • tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Too much of anything ain't good even protein
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    Options
    http://chriskresser.com/do-high-protein-diets-cause-kidney-disease-and-cancer/
    This is a good article on the subject, with links to studies. Even in the medical community there seems to be some debate over this. But I would think if youre active and not doing anything extreme you're probably ok
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Like JackieMarie said.. there will be a lot of debatable answers about this question.
    Some people think that a high protein is very good, others believe it can cause problems.
    I know of people who pretty much have only eaten protein and fat (no veg or carbs) for years and are the picture of health.
    Some people believe too much protein just gets converted into glucose and stored as fat (but that's generally to do with doing a low carb diet) - others state it can lead to kidney problems and osteoporosis!!!

It would be well worth reading a few websites and come to your own conclusion..
    here is another one you may find interesting..
    https://authoritynutrition.com/is-too-much-protein-bad-for-you/
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    This is a good article on the subject, with links to studies. Even in the medical community there seems to be some debate over this. But I would think if youre active and not doing anything extreme you're probably ok

The guy practices alternative medication, I'd be fairly cautious on taking his advice on medical issues.
  • Densans
    Densans Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a high protein diet

General guidelines
    Study 1
    Study 2

• JackieMarie1989jgw
    Options

The guy practices alternative medication, I'd be fairly cautious on taking his advice on medical issues.

Didnt know that, main reason I posted that article was because he provided links to studies, not necessarily because of his commentary on the subject. Although what he wrote seems very moderate, no faniciful claims.
  • xxyohohoxx
    xxyohohoxx Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    sexymom04 wrote: »
    Is it possible to eat too much protein? If yes is it bad?

Thanks

Whether or not it gives you cancer or kidney issues, it's a proven fact that it definitely can cause ketosis.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options

Didnt know that, main reason I posted that article was because he provided links to studies, not necessarily because of his commentary on the subject. Although what he wrote seems very moderate, no faniciful claims.

Read my post back, appears more blunt than intended. I've yet to give the full article a read, I'm just guilty of checking up on authors of articles for their credentials. To many times have I quoted an article to find out the author has 0 qualification, I just thought I'd share and to be fair he is well trained, he just favors mythical remedies rather than conventional medicine.
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    Options

Read my post back, appears more blunt than intended. I've yet to give the full article a read, I'm just guilty of checking up on authors of articles for their credentials. To many times have I quoted an article to find out the author has 0 qualification, I just thought I'd share and to be fair he is well trained, he just favors mythical remedies rather than conventional medicine.

I had no idea, and actually glad you brought that to light! It's worth knowing about the author while reading anything medical.
    In general this article actually seems to draw the conclusions that extra protein isnt really that bad as long as it's not extreme and you dont already have kidney disease.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options

I had no idea, and actually glad you brought that to light! It's worth knowing about the author while reading anything medical.
    In general this article actually seems to draw the conclusions that extra protein isnt really that bad as long as it's not extreme and you dont already have kidney disease.

That's the opinion I would take away with me too.