FitBit Sync

Options
I have a question about syncing my FitBit workouts to my exercise diary. I have my settings set to track my steps with my FitBit. Do I still enter in my workouts in MyFitnessPal, or is that covered in my steps? The calories burned on MyFitnessPal are not matching up with my FitBit. I'm thinking it may be because I also need to add the calories burned from additional exercise besides walking. Can someone confirm this for me, or tell me how to do it correctly? Thanks!

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    What you log depends on the model of Fitbit. Swimming needs to be logged since you won't be wearing the Fitbit. Models with HR don't really need anything to be logged. Models without HR only need exercises that aren't step based to be logged.

However, keep in mind your Fitbit calorie burn includes your BMR + daily activity + exercise. MFP estimates a calorie burn for you that includes BMR + daily activity(based on activity level you selected). Your adjustment is the difference between the what Fitbit tracked and what MFP estimated. You can see the math for your adjustment by tapping the exercise adjustment twice from the dairy section within the app or clicking the " i " next your Fitbit adjustment in your exercise diary on the website.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Fitbit measures more than "steps" but if you're going to log exercise here on MFP the key is to put the time in and the Fitbit cals for that time window will be ignored to avoid dual counting.

My Fitbit is close enough on cycling, running and walking with other apps so I just run with its number.
  • cjbarnett98
    cjbarnett98 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you!