Being weighed at the doctors...

Options
Hey everyone! I recently was weighed at the doctors and it made me think about some things. My home scale is calibrated every time
Before I use it and so I know it is correct ( within a lb). When I use it I weigh naked and in the morning. After just breakfast my weight is up 3 lbs and my clothes have never weighed less than 2lb when I experimented weighing before and after getting dressed. This is 5 lb of weight that is not even me... My weight always is back to normal or less in the morning. At the doctors their " just calibrated scale" showed this 5 lb difference and the nurse didn't hesitate to write it down without even considering all the clothes and food in my stomach. This doesn't seem accurate to weigh patients this way. Why do doctors even do it? Most people including me are very honest and would be happy to tell them what # the scale actually said that morning. I weigh myself morning and night ( for tracking purposes) and so I know my weight is more accurate than theirs, but they need to write down something. It's just really humiliating to be told I weigh 140 when I really know I'm 135. The doctor even commented saying " why would you have written down your weight as so much lower than the scale said?" .. First off, five pounds is not a lot especially for an athlete like me who eats a huge breakfast and I drink a gallon of water every morning I run ( which alone weighs 8 lbs). She's not considering I did weigh myself but before I ate my huge breakfast and frank half a gallon of water and then put on 2 lb of clothes ? Anyone else know this frustration? Do you ever comment back or do you keep your mouth shut like I did? I knew I was right so I didn't feel the need to argue with someone so clueless.

Replies

• chalaivy
    chalaivy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I just had this experience but it was with my OBG, what kind of a doctor did you see? Why was your weight so important for them to discuss with you, especially for them to tell you 5 lbs is a huge difference? To me it it was not a big deal, so what. You shouldn't feel humiliated, you said it yourself, 5 lbs is not a lot.. Blow it off it's not that deep
  • sammyre12
    sammyre12 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I notice every doctors offices scale adds almost five lbs. I swear. I don't understand it. My doctor is really nice and plus I have thyroid issues so he never mentions my weight.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Really not sure why it's such a big deal, I'm thinking mountain, molehill ... I go to the doctors twice a year for a check up. They do blood pressure and weight.

I weigh myself every morning too, naked and before eating anything. Of course my weight at the end of the work day, fully clothed is going to be different, but I always have my appointment fully clothed and generally at the end of the day so actually the Dr is getting his reading under consistent conditions.

They are only interested in general trends over time for me anyway as I have no weight medical related issues.
  • 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The same thing happens when I got to the doctor but I don't stress too much because it's all relative. They basically want to know if your weight goes from "140" to 180 over the course of a couple of months. At least that's what my doctor does. She's concerned more about the fluctuations and upward or downward trend than the actual number. As long as you know your actual weight, it's ok, I wouldn't worry too much because your weight is more accurate with the way you weigh yourself.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I recently was weighed at the doctors and it made me think about some things. My home scale is calibrated every time
    Before I use it and so I know it is correct ( within a lb). When I use it I weigh naked and in the morning. After just breakfast my weight is up 3 lbs and my clothes have never weighed less than 2lb when I experimented weighing before and after getting dressed. This is 5 lb of weight that is not even me... My weight always is back to normal or less in the morning. At the doctors their " just calibrated scale" showed this 5 lb difference and the nurse didn't hesitate to write it down without even considering all the clothes and food in my stomach. This doesn't seem accurate to weigh patients this way. Why do doctors even do it? Most people including me are very honest and would be happy to tell them what # the scale actually said that morning. I weigh myself morning and night ( for tracking purposes) and so I know my weight is more accurate than theirs, but they need to write down something. It's just really humiliating to be told I weigh 140 when I really know I'm 135. The doctor even commented saying " why would you have written down your weight as so much lower than the scale said?" .. First off, five pounds is not a lot especially for an athlete like me who eats a huge breakfast and I drink a gallon of water every morning I run ( which alone weighs 8 lbs). She's not considering I did weigh myself but before I ate my huge breakfast and frank half a gallon of water and then put on 2 lb of clothes ? Anyone else know this frustration? Do you ever comment back or do you keep your mouth shut like I did? I knew I was right so I didn't feel the need to argue with someone so clueless.

It sounds like your dr is just weird if he/she comments on a difference this small. I have never met IRL any dr looking into that much detail when it comes to weight.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I think the Doctor's offices have a conspiracy with their scales. I always weigh more there. Just shake it off.
  • JenPass1977
    JenPass1977 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't think it should even be an issue. You weighed 5lbs heavier having eaten and with your clothes on. To be fair to the doctor they aren't going to guestimate for each person what their clothes might weigh or what their fluid consumption was that morning, their most accurate method is their scale at the time of the appointment. You know what you weigh and that's all that matters.
  • kalm3
    kalm3 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't put too much thought into the 5lb difference, especially since you know what caused it. The doctors just need an idea of your weight over time. I've stopped believing in doctor or gym scales after learning how they are not always properly calibrated. Trust your home scale and go about your day. Sounds like you're doing great!

I personally want to get to a weight where I weigh my 'goal' fully clothed and after eating. B)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    The reason the doctors do not allow patients to input their own weight is because the doctor has no way of knowing what scale you are using or the calibration at home. Therefore they use the scale in the office to track trends. And while you may be honest, most people are not honest when it comes to their weight, so again, another reason to track at the office.

It's also worth considering that your scale at home could be off, which is why it can be better to look at weight as an average or a range, rather than an absolute.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    It's not really a big deal to me. I go to the doctor and get on their scale, knowing full well I just finished a protein bar in my car and I'm wearing tennis shoes and a hoodie, and I fully expect an additional 5-7 lbs to show up on their scale. I just chuckle and shake it off because I know, and my doctor knows, that weight fluctuates throughout the day. Besides, what are they gonna make me do, strip naked to weigh myself? Absolutely not.

I suppose if it bothers you to the point that you are humiliated over 5 pounds, you could start making all of your appointments as soon as the doctors office opens, don't eat or drink anything until then, wear some super lightweight clothing, and take some thin socks with you to use when you get on the scale
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Sounds kind of rude of the doctor. If she was going to weigh you anyway to check the number, what was the point of you writing one in and then her commenting on it being wrong. Even if you weren't weighing yourself regularly, 5 lbs give or take is a good guess.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    This just doesn't bother me...it's a number to put on my chart and I know it's going to be a little off. I don't even look because I go by my own scale at home and go by that. Total non-issue.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    most Doctor's weigh you as a part of a routine checkup - they are looking for glaring abnormalities -being overweight, underweight, or having a "surprising" weight (you weigh 20 lbs more than you appear and perhaps have a tumor or growth, or you have gained or lost a significant amount of weight in a significant amount of time) - it's not like it's legal record, or that once they put that number on the piece of paper, it means you weigh it - it's completely arbitrary and the 3 pounds of clothes and food weight isn't going to change the medical advice they give you!

No need to be too focused on a number, we all do this, we all go to the doctor, they all weigh us with our clothes on, we all come in 5 pounds higher, you go home and weigh yourself in your way and get the number you want....nbd.
  • Pam_1965
    Pam_1965 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I just went to the doctor last week and refused to be weighed on their scale. I just told them that I seriously dieting and had weighed myself that morning. The nurse used rhe weight I gave her.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The doctor's scale is within 3 lbs of my own weigh-ins so I'm not too concerned the difference. However, I have to go in for mandatory blood work every year, in order to get health insurance through my husband's job (don't even get me started on this grrrr). Weight/BMI is part of what they track and I do make sure they have my accurate weight-the lab tech has always been ok with adjusting the weight down to match my home weigh-in (theirs is usually off around 5lbs).
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I had no idea the weight variation on clinic scales was so universal. It makes me think it might be deliberate but to what end I can't imagine. I was prepared at first to assume that the clinic scale was more accurate than my home one. Then I tested my digital with one of my 20 lb barbells. A Life brand scale might not be 100% accurate, but I figured Cap was not going to manufacture 10 lb plates that weighed 12 lbs and I was right. My scale was correct within a few ounces.

I always weigh 5 lbs more on my GP's scale, but he always deducts 4 lbs for food and clothing.