Has anyone had success after changing goal to 1lb per week?

Options
I had my goal to 2lbs per week and that gave me 1200 calories per day and I found that it wasn't enough for me. Did anyone else feel that way and change their goal to 1lb per week and found success ?

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    How much weight are you trying to lose in total?
  • Milm0nsterr
    Milm0nsterr Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    50lbs
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I started at 298 and my goal is to get back to where I was at age 30, at 185 lbs. I set my goals for 1 lb. / week. I started on 2/6/16, and I've lost 17 lbs. so far, in just over 11 weeks. I'm happy. I eat a Paleo protocol (my diary is open) and I'm only hungry when it's time to eat. It took me 25 years to get from 185 to 298, so if it takes me a year or two to reverse it, I'm good with that. Good luck to you...eat well, breathe deep, get strong, feel good.

60 is the new 40!
  • saramickeydee
    saramickeydee Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and eating between 1300 and 2000 calories a day depending on how active I am that day. Most days land about 1600. (MFP says I should be eating a little over 1300 because I have it set to sedentary.) I have lost about 30 pounds since January and have about 30 more to go. I hope that helps.
  • Milm0nsterr
    Milm0nsterr Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks yall. I'm pretty active I walk/jog about 2 hours a day and I think that's why I feel like 1200 is not enough i also have mfp set at sedetary. And I'm learning this is a slow process and I'd be happier losing weight period even if it takes me 1 year than be miserable and obsessed with seeing that scale go down. Thank you guys.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    With 50 lbs to lose, you really should be set to lose 1 lb/week. That should give you a calorie goal higher than 1200. Additionally, that calorie goal is set up to help you lose weight even if you do no exercise, so when you do exercise - walking/jogging, etc - you should be eating back at least a portion of those calories, which would give you more than 1200 even if you didn't change your goal.

Spend some time reading through the Most Helpful posts threads at the top of each forum section, in particular in Getting Started I like:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1

The links within it are also very helpful.

To your original question - I started MFP with about 30 lbs to lose. I initially was also set at 1200, found that was too difficult for me to stay within (even with eating back exercise calories). I followed good advice on here that 1200 is too low for most people to lose, and that many can lose eating more than that. I changed my goal first to 1400, then 1500, still a net goal eating back exercise cals. I lost the weight I set out to lose, plus about another 5 lbs, and am currently maintaining. I rarely ate less than 1600 calories even while losing. I'm 5'2... for what its worth..
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I started with 1 lb a week and have been satisfied with my progress.
    Are you logging exercise and eating at least some of the calories earned from exercise? Because you are supposed to with MFP.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Make sure you eat plenty of protein, fat, and fiber. These will help you feel satiated longer. Good luck!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I lost 80 pounds with the 'lose 1 lb a week' setting. No way I was going to starve myself to lose faster.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I lost 10lb this time on 1lb per week, then had a mini-plateau of 3 weeks and lowered it down to 2lb/week at 1200 cals, then upped it again and I'm back to losing.

You'll definitely lose, just slower.
  • saransaran
    saransaran Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am 68 years old with a goal of losing 50 pounds in one year. Having logged for 214 days I have lost 31 pounds. This is not my fastest weight loss experience but it is the most comfortable and I believe I am developing a lifestyle that I can maintain.