Exercising with and to prevent back pain

Options
BerryH
BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
Yesterday I managed to wrench my back doing yoga, of all things! It's hurting pretty much continuously, but shifting between sitting, lying and standing is agony, and I waddle like a penguin for the first five minutes of walking!

What exercise can I do that either won't aggravate it further or help the healing process? Has anything worked for you to prevent it happening again?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• tomnev1
    tomnev1 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Probably best to go to a physiotherapist. They will devise a programme for you. It might sound obvious but in some countries, the term physiotherapist, isn't protected so you could end up with someone who went to university...or you could end up with someone who uses Google. Make sure whoever you go to is accredited.

Don't do anything that will hurt your back but gently stretches in all directions first thing in the morning helps me.

I also take pain medication under the supervision of my doctor.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If you pulled a muscle, then rest, medication, and ice/heating pads will help the healing process at this point more than trying to lift anything. If it doesn't get better in a week or two definitely go see a doctor.

Once you are a good bit better, then any strength training exercise that will strengthen your core muscles combined with some stretching will in general help with muscle strain related back pain. Planks, Good Mornings, Leg Raises, Back Hyperextensions, weighted Squats, Deadlifts, hamstring stretches, glute stretches, etc.... The exercises shouldn't cause pain when you are performing them though. A PT should be able to provide a targeted routine, but if you don't want to do that, then a whole body strength routine will slowly work towards that goal anyways.
  • SasiWa
    SasiWa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Rest! Don't make it worse. Very gently and cautiously ease back into things. I've suffered multiple back injuries at only 29. Slow is key.