weightlifting shoes

Options
So in a couple of weeks I'm finally buying a pair of proper weightlifting shoes, primarily for squats, after researching for a while I'm debating between two shoes:
1. Nike Romaleos
2. Adidas Adipowers

Now I've read that the main difference is just the aesthetics of the shoes, but I would love to hear from people that are using one of these shoes and make my final decision.
Also I'll try them on the store and ask for exchanges policies, which will let me actually try them in store and hopefully out in the gym.
But anyways I would love to hear from you guys, if you have any experience. Thanks!

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Looking at pictures of both those shoes, right away you can tell that they create an unnatural angle between your feet and the ground. The main thing with squats and deadlifts is you want your feet to be flat. I'd suggest just going with chuck taylor's or vans, both pretty cheap, both get the job done.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Looking at pictures of both those shoes, right away you can tell that they create an unnatural angle between your feet and the ground. The main thing with squats and deadlifts is you want your feet to be flat. I'd suggest just going with chuck taylor's or vans, both pretty cheap, both get the job done.

That's the whole point. Their purpose is to raise the heel to alleviate ankle flexion requirements in mainly high-bar and front squats, allowing for a more upright torso and/or a deeper bottom position.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I wear adipowers and I love them. Just make sure you get them snug. I like a little extra room in my running shoes, but it's best to get these to fit just so.

As for the post above, these shoes are designed this way for a reason. Chucks are ok for deads and some people with the flexibility to do so wear them for squats. I wear my chucks or go bare foot for deads, but they're far from great for that purpose. They're basically cheap, flattish shoes and there are much better quality lifting shoes with truly flat soles, such as Metal.
  • hern_n
    hern_n Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replys! I'll make sure they fit perfectly
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »

That's the whole point. Their purpose is to raise the heel to alleviate ankle flexion requirements in mainly high-bar and front squats, allowing for a more upright torso and/or a deeper bottom position.

Unless an individual is competing wouldn't it be better to fix the ankle mobility issue as opposed to a shoe with a "lift"?
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Mycophilia wrote: »

Unless an individual is competing wouldn't it be better to fix the ankle mobility issue as opposed to a shoe with a "lift"?

Heeled weight lifting shoes provide more than an answer to ankle mobility. I've been using them since 2008 despite the fact that I have no mobility issues. The big attraction for me is that they provide lateral support. Chucks are fairly flimsy and your feet can rock laterally. Most weightlifting shoes have laces, buckles, a stiff and sometimes wide and fairly inflexible sole. When I'm walking out heavy weights, they provide a much more solid foundation than chucks ever did. They give me the feeling like my feet are nailed to the floor and well supported.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    In my honest opinion... unless you're squatting 400+ for reps, save money... and get Chuck Taylor's. Someone squatting under 400 doesn't need 200 shoes just for lifting... it's silly.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    In my honest opinion... unless you're squatting 400+ for reps, save money... and get Chuck Taylor's. Someone squatting under 400 doesn't need 200 shoes just for lifting... it's silly.

I'm not sure why it's silly. Most women I know don't squat 400. It's not about the weight you squat, it's about the level of support you either want or require. Best practice is to start as you mean to go on. There's a different setup to squat in a heeled shoe vs. a flat shoe.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

I don't get this. First, these shoes will last a very long time because one uses them for lifting and nothing else. Mine look very nearly fresh out of the box. Second, stability is imperative. 200 pounds may not be much for some people, but for 115 pound person it may be. It doesn't take large amounts of weight to injure someone. Third, Chucks are crap. I really have no idea why they are as popular as they are. I bought mine for a joke to wear for charity event a couple of months ago and figured I'd try them out in the gym. I'm already about done with them. They are far from stable since the heels easily shift under loading. I've done some farmers carries in them and will likely be going back to boots for carries and bare feet for deads when I'm finished with these, if not sooner.

There's really nothing wrong with using the tools designed for the job.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Read this and understand why it's a waste. This article is from a world class bodybuilder / powerlifter and coach: https://www.t-nation.com/training/olympic-shoes-or-chucks-for-squats
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Read this and understand why it's a waste. This article is from a world class bodybuilder / powerlifter and coach: https://www.t-nation.com/training/olympic-shoes-or-chucks-for-squats

Read it twice. No where did I read it was a waste. In fact, they were recommended for certain goals or stances.

Disclosure: I squat and dead in socks. However, I plan on getting a pair in the future.

• shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options

Read it twice. No where did I read it was a waste. In fact, they were recommended for certain goals or stances.

Disclosure: I squat and dead in socks. However, I plan on getting a pair in the future.

Same author.
    https://bloodandiron315.com/2013/08/22/use-olympic-shoes-to-squat-big-weight/

His squat improved. A lot depends on stance sump probably doesn't benefit much.

I bought Inov8 shoes which have a smaller heel and they seem fine for under $100.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    This guy was able to get his leg development up squatting barefoot: d4andfkbncx4.jpg

I'm guessing lifting shoes, Chucks, barefoot or whatever is going to depend on personal preference and an individual's build.
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have ROMs 2.0. If you're doing Olympic lifts, it's a must.

As far as gear goes, they've helped me fix ankle mobility problems. Kept me lifting with a higher intensity, and have been my support during a period of massive quad growth. (Read massive volume and intensity)

You can't get a more stable shoe. It will set you up for a good squat position, and is considered standard kit for a novice or better lifter for a reason. Additionally, they'll last forever. They also allow you a much better foot drive setup in the bench press. When I got mine I was squatting in five fingers, immediately added 30# to my squat, and allowed me to really skyrocket my front squats. If you think lifting is going to be something long term and you want to get semi decent, then it's a no brainer investment.

I'd likely say differently if op was looking for a deadlifting shoe.