Calories in meat

Options
jodidari
jodidari Posts: 95 Member
Recently i was about to add calorie for 4oz of chicken breasts to my diary . If you search this on MFP you get 320 calories as the first option. It really hit me this sounded high, even though i clicked this times before and the description sounds normal. So i decided to look into the calories in raw meat, seasoning and how much oil does meat absorb. Turns out chicken doesn't absorb that much and seasoning has little calories. Doing further search told me that same 4oz is listed as 166-206 calories on other websites. Fried Chicken leg may have as low as 124 calories yet on mfp the average is 150-200. So why are most mfp options way over other popular sites and what do you believe?

Surprisingly or not the same applies to fast food. I decided to check fries from fast food places on mfp against that on actual websites and got different results for so many. I may have been under eating by my own error since i didn't do my research prior to this.

Replies

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm really starting to wonder if MFP is worth it since so many things are wrong, and everyone also says that it overestimates calorie burn. So basically it seems like a crapshoot to me. When I first started using it, I assumed it was accurate. Now, not so much.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The vast majority of MFP's database is crowdsourced (created by MFP users), so they're prone to errors. As long as you can verify what is listed on the entry with either the nutrition label of the item or what is on USDA or restaurant websites, you should be good.
  • Spierce02
    Spierce02 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I scan barcodes as much as I can. I like the weight watchers natural boneless chicken breasts 140 cal each. For things like steak or ground beef I use a scale.
  • veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I do an Internet search for calories In "'..........."" when ever I have new foods in the house. If it's no a pkged food.We eat6 the same foods over and over so it's like once every 2-3 weeks I have to do it.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,188 Member
    Options
    jodidari wrote: »
    Recently i was about to add calorie for 4oz of chicken breasts to my diary . If you search this on MFP you get 320 calories as the first option. It really hit me this sounded high, even though i clicked this times before and the description sounds normal. So i decided to look into the calories in raw meat, seasoning and how much oil does meat absorb. Turns out chicken doesn't absorb that much and seasoning has little calories. Doing further search told me that same 4oz is listed as 166-206 calories on other websites. Fried Chicken leg may have as low as 124 calories yet on mfp the average is 150-200. So why are most mfp options way over other popular sites and what do you believe?

Surprisingly or not the same applies to fast food. I decided to check fries from fast food places on mfp against that on actual websites and got different results for so many. I may have been under eating by my own error since i didn't do my research prior to this.

What comes up for me varies, but the first time I did it I got Chicken, broiler or fryers, breast, skinless, boneless, meat only, raw, which for 1 piece is 326 calorie, but notice that is piece not a weight. If I select 100 grams as the portion, it comes out at 120 calories which is basically the same as other sites I checked. The first 4 in fact were all basically the same for 100 grams ranging from 110 to 120 calories, not a big enough difference to be considered incorrect as there will be natural variations due to the differences in meats. In short the first four that came up for me were correct as long as a person is using a scale and measuring the weight, ideally in grams.
  • jodidari
    Options
    tamicoil1 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm really starting to wonder if MFP is worth it since so many things are wrong, and everyone also says that it overestimates calorie burn. So basically it seems like a crapshoot to me. When I first started using it, I assumed it was accurate. Now, not so much.

I agree. If i have to be adding my own foods and I have to be buying pricey tools for accuracy i could keep track of all this myself
  • jodidari
    Options
    [/quote]
    What comes up for me varies, but the first time I did it I got Chicken, broiler or fryers, breast, skinless, boneless, meat only, raw, which for 1 piece is 326 calorie, but notice that is piece not a weight. If I select 100 grams as the portion, it comes out at 120 calories which is basically the same as other sites I checked. The first 4 in fact were all basically the same for 100 grams ranging from 110 to 120 calories, not a big enough difference to be considered incorrect as there will be natural variations due to the differences in meats. In short the first four that came up for me were correct as long as a person is using a scale and measuring the weight, ideally in grams. [/quote]

I typed in 4oz fried chicken breasts and got 320+ calories for most which is high compared to other sites, the raw chicken seems accurate as you said.

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,188 Member
    Options
    What comes up for me varies, but the first time I did it I got Chicken, broiler or fryers, breast, skinless, boneless, meat only, raw, which for 1 piece is 326 calorie, but notice that is piece not a weight. If I select 100 grams as the portion, it comes out at 120 calories which is basically the same as other sites I checked. The first 4 in fact were all basically the same for 100 grams ranging from 110 to 120 calories, not a big enough difference to be considered incorrect as there will be natural variations due to the differences in meats. In short the first four that came up for me were correct as long as a person is using a scale and measuring the weight, ideally in grams. [/quote]

I typed in 4oz fried chicken breasts and got 320+ calories for most which is high compared to other sites, the raw chicken seems accurate as you said.

[/quote]

The issue is your search parameter then. You don't search for a size, you search for a food. Add to that you are searching for something like "fried chicken breasts" which will be all over the map because they are all prepared differently. That 320+ calories for a fried chicken breast is very likely correct.

So do not search for 4oz fried chicken breasts as you are better off weighing your food uncooked.

Instead search for Chicken, breast meat raw and whatever other ingredients you use to fry them up. The frying oil is a little difficult to determine because is how much that is absorbed will vary, but 25% is a good guess, or some have weighed the fry pan/pot with the oil before use, then after cooking when it has cooled, weigh it again and the difference between the numbers is how much oil has been absorbed.

If you are eating pre-prepared fried chicken that you have purchased, you need to search for that brand, and if it is not in the database, add it assuming you can get nutritional information.

To sum up:
    The issue does not seem to be incorrect values as much as how you are searching.
    You search for, weigh, and log individual ingredients raw.
    If you must log cooked, if it has a brand stick with that, if not go with the higher calories to be safe.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    tag whatever you're searching for with "USDA"...i.e. Chicken Breast USDA. And yeah...4 ounces of chicken breast is going to be pretty low calorie.

If you're doing something with the breast like breading or frying, etc...log that separately.
  • gataman3000
    gataman3000 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The ones that are confirmed by mfp have a green check mark, if I'm not mistaken the o

[/quote]

I know what you mean but its specifically with chicken breasts because so many have been added. I've had the same problem with chicken breasts, everything else is fine.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If you are doubting the accuracy of mfp on fried chicken leg pieces, please accept that there are a wide range of food products that can be in the batter, flour, egg, pepper, sugar, milk, and the fry oil can be of several different sources, peanut, corn, canola, and others, as well as that the chicken legs can be of a range of sizes and even that the eating of it can include more or less of the batter, meat, and tendons. Demanding that MFP give you one accurate number is irrational. If you can get nutrition information from the restaurants web-site, trust it, and if necessary, create a food database listing of your particular restaurant's published data.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You should weigh and log everything possible raw. Using a cooked entry that someone else created leaves too many undefined variables: what did they cook it in? how long was it cooked? did they weigh it lightly cooked and moist? did they overcook it and then drain it on paper towels before weighing it?

You avoid all of that by using a USDA raw entry, and then separately logging whatever oil or butter you used in cooking.

The correct entries are almost always in there somewhere, and once you find them and use them they are in your recent list.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I gave up when it comes to figuring out raw -> cooked calories. I assume if it is naturally lean like chicken breast or pork loin, grilled or baked or broiled with limited oil, this is a good choice and I eat basically whatever I want of it (usually 4-8oz). If it is fried, I assume a flat 300 to start and limit my portion to one or two pieces. Because I don't eat fried meat more than maybe once every two months, it honestly doesn't make a huge difference one way or another.

I guess my process works because I still lost weight despite having no real way of 100% accurately knowing. YMMV.

• harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Google the a brand name (such as Perdue or Tyson) equivalent and go to their website and use that. Simple.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Verify with an outside source, or several sources.

For instance, here's the first hit when I Google "nutrition for raw chicken breast"

calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-chicken-chicken-breast-without-skin-raw_f-ZmlkPTY4Mjc1.html

Then, find the entry in MFP that matches this, or make your own if you can't find it.
  • TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    Options

I agree. If i have to be adding my own foods and I have to be buying pricey tools for accuracy i could keep track of all this myself

Food scales, accurate ones, are fairly inexpensive. If your serious about accuracy, then I would strongly recommend investing in one.

http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Digital-Multifunction-Kitchen-Elegant/dp/B004164SRA
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I just wanted to add, I used to manually keep a food log with a notebook and pen back in the day. Tried to keep a handwritten list of USDA info for common foods.

This time I ordered a $15 food scale and used MFP. It is slow going in the beginning, but after a couple of weeks to get the hang of it and build up a list of "recent" foods, it literally takes me a total of a couple of minutes a day. And I lost 15 lbs and have kept it off by doing this.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

Food scales, accurate ones, are fairly inexpensive. If your serious about accuracy, then I would strongly recommend investing in one.

http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Digital-Multifunction-Kitchen-Elegant/dp/B004164SRA

I have this exact scale. Works like a charm, although I wish the plate were removable.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Search "chicken breast USDA". Weigh your piece of chicken.

Looks to be about 44 cals per oz, giving you 176 calories.

Fried chicken is hard to estimate the batter and oil.

• jodidari
    Options
    If you are doubting the accuracy of mfp on fried chicken leg pieces, please accept that there are a wide range of food products that can be in the batter, flour, egg, pepper, sugar, milk, and the fry oil can be of several different sources, peanut, corn, canola, and others, as well as that the chicken legs can be of a range of sizes and even that the eating of it can include more or less of the batter, meat, and tendons. Demanding that MFP give you one accurate number is irrational. If you can get nutrition information from the restaurants web-site, trust it, and if necessary, create a food database listing of your particular restaurant's published data.

I am not demanding that MFP gives me an accurate number because I acknowledge calorie counting is not accurate and there is variety. It is more my concern that other people may be using this not realizing they may be under-eating because these are over estimating calories. MFP database for many foods are based on recipes that people entered and publicly shared 3+ years ago and ofc we aren't allowed to see the details. I just wish we could give feedback to the accuracy of certain nutrition facts on MFP