Trying to lose weight whole working at fast food restaurant!!!! HELP!

Options
Okay so I started working at a fast food restaurant about 2 weeks ago. I was doing great my diet (I don't exercise) and I've lost some weight. BUT soon as I started working at mcds, it's been horrible. I can't really stop myself from eating their food. Any tips please? What should I do? I can't quit!

Replies

• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Take your lunch with you? Or work the Maccas into your calorie day.
  • hstoblish
    hstoblish Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You've got a few options.
    -eat fast food but stay within your calories the rest of the day
    -Never eat food from your work
    -try something in the middle, like fridays you get a meal from there! Or eat the burger but not fries etc. (I'd try to combine this with some behaviour modification where you try to sort of turn yourself off the food - really look at the grease, imagine it in your mouth etc)
    -get a job at subway?
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    The first couple of weeks will be hard to resist, but the longer you work there the less you'll feel like it. Learn to say no, it's hard at first but the more you say it, the easier it will be.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    When I diet I include the fast food I love. Denial never works. I factor the calories in. McDonald's French fries are my favorite!!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Plan a tasty meal for after your shift, if you're really looking forward to that, it will be easier to say no to the fast food.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I work in a restaurant so not fast food but still very very unhealthy food. I keep shake mix at work to have when too busy to actually stop and eat or I take some food with me. Then every now and again I enjoy the food there!
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    When I worked at restaurants I would always look at the calories and eat the lower calorie meals, or kids meals. With fast food try getting a burger but eat it without the cheese and bun, get a fast food salad without cheese and grilled rather fried meat. Skip the fries, or go with a child size portion if you decide. If you want a soda go for diet.

If I eat at McDonalds I always do a grilled chicken sandwich, no cheese or mayo, and I take off the top bun.

Trust me, after a while the fried food will begin to just smell like crap to you and you wont want it anymore!!!
  • ashleyjongepier
    ashleyjongepier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    look for lower cal options. However you will get tired of it in a big big way and won't want to eat it at some point anyway.

As a teen I worked at TIm Hortons and gained 30 lbs in a few months from free donuts. After those few months looking at them made me feel sick and to this day well over 10 years I still can't eat them haha.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Do not drink the sugar drinks !!! Drink water or diet drinks.
  • jodidari
    jodidari Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    What do you mean you can't really stop yourself? Even if it is to have the salad with little dressing then go ahead. Be healthier! Bring lunch if that's an option. Do not drink soda, opt for water or even iced tea. If someone makes your lunch order, ask for little mayo. Give up fries, I recently found out a burger by itself with some liquid fills me and holds me. Drink shakes instead of actually eating. Just train yourself to be stronger, resist hun
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Yeah... Just work the willpower and try to fit an occasional snack into your calories.

I agree with a few other posters above... Work there a bit longer and you won't even want to eat there anymore. You'll get sick of the food and smell!

I was a server at a Chicago deep dish pizza place about 8 years ago. I worked there about a year and a half. After 3 months of working there, I couldn't even stomach the thought of eating the pizza because I was so sick of it and the smell. Lol haven't touched deep dish pizza since!
  • flightybird
    flightybird Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I worked in quickservice restaurants for around 10 years, and can say that it is definitely not easy to keep yourself away from all the junk you're constantly surrounded by. You do, like many have said above, get sick of the food eventually, but sometimes, for some people, it being there is enough to still tempt you, regardless of if you really care for it anymore (I struggle with binge eating and often would eat the stuff at my workplace, even if I wasn't hungry or didn't care for it anymore, just due to impulse.)

I will say, pre-logging food helps. Whether you're going to grab one of the healthier items at work, bring your lunch, or splurge on something there. Also, don't "graze" (that's what an old supervisor of mine called it - when you walk by the fries and eat a few, eat a nugget that they're going to trash because it's too old to sell, whatever.) Those "grazing" calories add up INSANELY fast.

And drink a lot of WATER! Diet soda/iced tea are also better options than full-calorie cokes if you need something besides water. I worked at one place famous for their flavored sodas and indulging in them constantly caught up to me VERY quickly.