I've gained 38 lbs in 4 years and i dont know where to start!!!

Options
Hey Fitness Pals ! I could really use some tips, words of encouragement, a push, or anything that can help!!

I had lost 30 pounds in 2012 by working out 5 times a week for an hour and eating a strict 1,200 calories a day , six days a week . I remember being at my happiest, healthiest, and most confident. I LOVED my body and had the most confidence I've ever had in my life. Since then I sort of gave up... and now four years later I am at my biggest that I've ever been in my life!
I feel like being 167.8 for a 5"3, 25 year old woman , is very unhealthy. (at least in my eyes)

I want to go back down to 130. My goal and dream is to get there by August. Or by early fall..

But the problem is, I don't know where to start.
I keep trying to eat about 1300 calories six times a week, with only one cheat day and I either stay at the same weight , or gain a pound or two! I can't imagine I'm doing that horrible during my one cheat day that I gain even more weight and basically throw away my whole week's progress...
I also have PCOS which I know makes it harder... but I feel helpless. I am tired of gaining weight, feeling ugly and insecure.

PLEASE HELP!!! :neutral: If someone could give me some tips or even a plan I should follow to see real weight loss, I would appreciate it immensely.

Replies

• Bellaspeakz
    Bellaspeakz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Girl we are in the same boat!!! I just sit here and think how the hell did this happen??? I joined the gym yesterday and started my shakes again. I hope you stay motivated to get back to your happy weight! Remember you're beautiful no matter what!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    At your age, weight, height eating 1200 cals per day and working out 3 times a week you should be losing between 1 and 2lbs per week.

If you eat at 1300 per day then progress will be slightly slower but not by much.

Your issue seems to be your "cheat days". I don;t really get the concept of a weekly cheat but if that is your thing then you are going to have to find the calories from earlier in the week and track those cheat days to ensure that they don't blow your progress.

My recommendation would be:
    • Eat 1200 cals per day, every day and drop the cheat meals.
    • Work out for about 1 hour three times a week - pick an exercise form that you enjoy and can stick to.
    • Incorporate foods that you love into your weekly diet - do not ban foods - there are no "bad" foods (or"good" foods for that matter).
    • Measure and weigh everything you eat and log it.
    • Measure and weight yourself and routinely check to ensure that you are moving in the right direction.
    • Do not try to rush headlong towards your goal weight/date - it will take as long as it takes and it seems that the most successful people on here are those that take it slow and steady.
  • anthony150paolucci
    anthony150paolucci Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising again like you used to when you lost weight back in 2012?
  • texmex39
    texmex39 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You can do it. You are half my age. I have just come thru treatment for breast cancer and am an estrogen blocker and had to take steriods that has made be gain 30 pounds. I am 5ft 2 and weighed 167.8. I started watching what I ate and am keeping a food journal. I am down 7,5 pounds today, so try to make healthy choices and if you are exercising, you should be able to get the weight off easily. I use to be 130 as well.
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    To be a boring old nag, it's all in the planning.. Plan for tomorrow and stick to it as best you can. Nobody on here is perfect all the time, and I hate to say it, but in the beginning when it's a huge adjustment it's the most difficult time. Take it on a daily basis rather than looking to the long term, that worked for me in the beginning and before you know it, you're half way through the week. You've done it before so you know you can do it again.. One day at a time and keep going. Good luck. Xx
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    If I were you, instead of pushing yourself to lose all the weight by a certain date, I would set yourself at a level that you can handle, and an exercise level that you can handle long term (as in lifetime). That way it'll be a long term win rather than something you have to repeat constantly every few years. It's ok to lose the weight fast, most of us here all want that for ourselves, but developing life habits is better than doing something temporary. You can do it, you've done it before. But this time, think long term. ;)
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Have been through the exact same thing and it's all my own fault! Anyway, I'm attaching a food list that might get you started. Don't follow it exactly - it's just a guide. You'll probably need to reduce the protein serving sizes a little and then add in a T or so healthy fat - like olive oil - each day. But work with this to plot meals that you can drop into MFP's diary til you get a mix that puts you in your chosen calorie range. I'd have an egg for breakfast, a protein for lunch and 1 for dinner. Then spread the vegetables, fruits, starches throughout the meals and day. Hope you can read this scan. I had to convert a pdf to a jpeg and it got fuzzy. Maybe a little less protein and a little more starch if you prefer.ylngddq1uxma.jpg
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    aglope09 wrote: »
    Hey Fitness Pals ! I could really use some tips, words of encouragement, a push, or anything that can help!!

I had lost 30 pounds in 2012 by working out 5 times a week for an hour and eating a strict 1,200 calories a day , six days a week . I remember being at my happiest, healthiest, and most confident. I LOVED my body and had the most confidence I've ever had in my life. Since then I sort of gave up... and now four years later I am at my biggest that I've ever been in my life!
    I feel like being 167.8 for a 5"3, 25 year old woman , is very unhealthy. (at least in my eyes)

I want to go back down to 130. My goal and dream is to get there by August. Or by early fall..

But the problem is, I don't know where to start.
    I keep trying to eat about 1300 calories six times a week, with only one cheat day and I either stay at the same weight , or gain a pound or two! I can't imagine I'm doing that horrible during my one cheat day that I gain even more weight and basically throw away my whole week's progress...
    I also have PCOS which I know makes it harder... but I feel helpless. I am tired of gaining weight, feeling ugly and insecure.

PLEASE HELP!!! :neutral: If someone could give me some tips or even a plan I should follow to see real weight loss, I would appreciate it immensely.

No cheat days if you're struggling til you get this under control. Unless you want to substitute a glass of wine for a fruit and call that your "cheat" day - and track even then. "I can't imagine" means that you don't know what you're doing on those days. If you are an ice cream lover, you can get in real trouble with some of those yummy ones that are almost 300 calories for a 1/2 cup - and WHO eats just 1/2 cup of pralines and cream and is ready to do anything except polish off the container!
  • aglopez1102
    aglopez1102 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    At your age, weight, height eating 1200 cals per day and working out 3 times a week you should be losing between 1 and 2lbs per week.

If you eat at 1300 per day then progress will be slightly slower but not by much.

Your issue seems to be your "cheat days". I don;t really get the concept of a weekly cheat but if that is your thing then you are going to have to find the calories from earlier in the week and track those cheat days to ensure that they don't blow your progress.

My recommendation would be:
    • Eat 1200 cals per day, every day and drop the cheat meals.
    • Work out for about 1 hour three times a week - pick an exercise form that you enjoy and can stick to.
    • Incorporate foods that you love into your weekly diet - do not ban foods - there are no "bad" foods (or"good" foods for that matter).
    • Measure and weigh everything you eat and log it.
    • Measure and weight yourself and routinely check to ensure that you are moving in the right direction.
    • Do not try to rush headlong towards your goal weight/date - it will take as long as it takes and it seems that the most successful people on here are those that take it slow and steady.

you're right.. besides not exercising as much as I should , my cheat day might be sabotaging my weekly effort.. I guess I rely on having a cheat day because my diet during the week is so strict that I don't want to completely cancel out good bad food that I love..
  • HarperAnn6
    HarperAnn6 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, and I also have PCOS. I suggest cutting your carbs to about 100 grams a day for awhile, and following a meal plan similar to what jwcanfield posted. I was stuck in the 160s for months until I did a "reset" program and cut the carbs a bit. It was a lot of work planning meals and prepping, but it helped me get started. Now I've managed to lose 20 pounds. Thirty pounds to go! Hope this helps!
  • mjburgoyne
    mjburgoyne Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you feel like your cheat day is running your weekly work then maybe try just a cheat meal but still limit it. I have been experimenting with a paleo lifestyle. I have not cut the "bad" carbs completely but I have significantly reduced them. I agree with the guy above, I wouldn't set a specific date to lose it by because then there is an added stress to lose it by that date and stress adds lbs. Also, maybe 1200 calories is not where your body is most efficient. If you have a high metabolism your body might actually need more calories do it doesn't think you are going into starvation mode.
  • aglopez1102
    Options
    thank you guys for all your tips and advice. I am going to tweak what all I've been doing to what yall mentioned, and hopefully that helps me !!
  • aglopez1102
    Options
    jwcanfield wrote: »
    Have been through the exact same thing and it's all my own fault! Anyway, I'm attaching a food list that might get you started. Don't follow it exactly - it's just a guide. You'll probably need to reduce the protein serving sizes a little and then add in a T or so healthy fat - like olive oil - each day. But work with this to plot meals that you can drop into MFP's diary til you get a mix that puts you in your chosen calorie range. I'd have an egg for breakfast, a protein for lunch and 1 for dinner. Then spread the vegetables, fruits, starches throughout the meals and day. Hope you can read this scan. I had to convert a pdf to a jpeg and it got fuzzy. Maybe a little less protein and a little more starch if you prefer.ylngddq1uxma.jpg

I will definitely use this. thank you !