Anyone use the stepper machine?

Options
breezyy3141
breezyy3141 Posts: 18 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Just curious.....I started using it this morning and man i broke a huge sweat in just 15 minutes. What areas in the body does this machine focus on? And do you think it's better than the elliptical or even the treadmill? TIA.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It's just like walking up the stairs- so you use a lot of leg- but it's for carido- it's not really going to get you "stronger" other than you'll be able to walk up stairs better.

I prefer the stairmaster to the elliptical- I hate the elliptical.

And it depends on what I want to do in terms of stair master vs treadmill- I usually will use the stairmaster for my quicker runs of cardio (15-25 minutes)- I rarely go over 30.

If I need to run several miles- then I do it outside- or on the treadmill- which isnt' ideal- but I've done it.
  • breezyy3141
    Options
    Right now I'm just focusing on cardio. Will start focusing on strength next month. Thank you for replying! ☺
  • Melissapaige1
    Melissapaige1 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think the stepper definitely shapes my butt, and legs. It may also make my lower back stronger. I use to love using the stepper. My old gym had it way in the corner of the gym. The gym i go to now, only has one, front and center and i'm a bit shy to get on it, I don't want to be "front and centre". But, I will make that my goal this week some how. Every time I see someone on it, i think I want the courage to just go for it.
  • breezyy3141
    Options
    Awesome thank you!
    Any recommendations on machines or exercises for Belly fat?
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I tried once.. once.. :sheds tear: Developed short term memory loss, rickets and scurvy.. but it'll make your butt look great.

And as far as targeting fat with exercise, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it doesn't work like that. You can build the muscle beneath but fork put downs are the best bet for losing fat.
  • breezyy3141
    Options
    Lol of course it does. I'm just asking what exercises would be best for a flatter tummy. I've been watching what I eat and have been trying to make healthier choices! I've noticed my stomach has gone down quite a bit I was just wondering if there was anything that I could do to help speed the process. ☺
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Well when you start doing some strength training, every compound lift you do activate your core and that will carry you a long way.. as far as targeting the muscles, there's endless exercises but my favorites are decline crunches, hanging knee raises or clocks, planks, windshield wipers, Russian twists, etc.. all good for the core.
  • breezyy3141
    Options
    Thanks! ☺
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I use stepper and prefer it to treadmill and elliptical for sure. Can usually do 25 mins max and then take a break or stop.
  • teecesay
    teecesay Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You burn calories faster on the stepper from my experience unless you're running
  • smcrimmon84
    smcrimmon84 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I love the stairmaster! I get on there, turn on some good music and just kill it. Its a great workout for me and I am usually dripping in sweat when I get off - and get a great calorie burn! It has had a visible impact on my legs and booty. I think its great cardio and a good cross-training workout for my running training!
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm just focusing on cardio. Will start focusing on strength next month. Thank you for replying! ☺

I always got my heart rate way too high too quickly on those machines, I wasn't fit enough to use them. I'd be going on like level 2 with a heart rate of 175 (close to my max) within minutes! So I'd say that one gives a good heart workout for your time. Elliptical is what I prefer because it doesn't require so so much leg power. I think that's why I have to work so hard on a stair master, I don't have the strength to do that many stairs yet.