Replies

• kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Doctor
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Could be many things, g.i. issues that can cause bloating, endo, other reproductive issues can cause this, heart failure. The list goes on, or it can be a weak abdominal wall. Go to a doctor, because we can't tell you what is wrong.
  • AliceAxe
    AliceAxe Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    wow that is pretty serious abdominal extention, what others said, go through doctors till you get a proper diagnosis!! another thing that causes it, if you have a malabsorbtion/malnurisment problem. like fat or protien absorbtion or other issues. ever see the starving children with the bloated bellies? they can put on weight through calories but without proper protein becuase they are only getting grains, they put on body fat but not muscle and get the bloated belly. I would denfinatly consult a good gastroenterologist to do some investigation and tests.
    I know because my boyfriend was just diagnosed with pancreatic insuficiancy, and he always had the belly, though not quite as severe as yours. its gone undiagnosed for years and caused a lot of bad problems like osteoperosis.

here is more on the subject

http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/gastrointestinal-disorders/malabsorption-syndromes/overview-of-malabsorption

best of luck, hope you find answers and wishing you better health.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    hstoblish wrote: »
    If you have a protruding abdomen, especially one that is getting worse, you need to get it checked out.
    This!!!
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Mine does that too- it's just where my body deposits fat, in addition to have weak abdominal muscles from not getting fitter sooner. I am 5'9" and 128lbs (with muscle!), and it's till there. I am seeing a lot of progress from heavy core weight training and some endurance cardio, for me it is just all bodyfat even though I am small elsewhere.

That being said, my belly is clearly fat. It's flabby, wiggly, and soft. I can flex and feel my abs buried under the fat pocket, but it is NOT firm in and of itself. Don't panic, but be aware of the fact that this isn't 100% normal. I say go examine your eating habits, go back to your doctor, and ask for a few tests to be done just to clear your mind. If it is something bad, you'll catch it. If it isn't, you can rest easy knowing that you just have a body that likes to pad your baby-bunker.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you could check with a doctor if this isn't normal for you

me, i get asked if i'm pregnant at least once a month
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Wheat belly! Drop wheat for a week. Zero. None.. Nada. You will see a dramatic decrease. I had the same thing. That was the first thing my Dr. told me. There are several wheat belly diet books out there. I've been off wheat for a little over a year now and still don't have the issues in my belly. There are several other types of wheat free flours, etc.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I am not overweight but 5'8 and 163 lbs and female. My issue is every where is fine but my stomach it sticks our around 38 inches. I am not sure if this is fat or bloating but it isn't a fibroid(got it checked). Not sure what to do.

If the doc says you're healthy, then go on a healthy diet and start exercising. Your body is the result of 8 million years of evolution, so it can't be all wrong. You are young and have your whole life ahead of you. Face it with a healthy mind and body. Best of luck!
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Kkallisti wrote: »
    Mine does that too- it's just where my body deposits fat, in addition to have weak abdominal muscles from not getting fitter sooner. I am 5'9" and 128lbs (with muscle!), and it's till there. I am seeing a lot of progress from heavy core weight training and some endurance cardio, for me it is just all bodyfat even though I am small elsewhere.

That being said, my belly is clearly fat. It's flabby, wiggly, and soft. I can flex and feel my abs buried under the fat pocket, but it is NOT firm in and of itself. Don't panic, but be aware of the fact that this isn't 100% normal. I say go examine your eating habits, go back to your doctor, and ask for a few tests to be done just to clear your mind. If it is something bad, you'll catch it. If it isn't, you can rest easy knowing that you just have a body that likes to pad your baby-bunker.

Mine does this too (and my Mom's). Even at my lowest weight and as a competitive athlete, my stomach has always been slightly round. When I gain weight, it all goes to my stomach and gives me a "beer belly" or pregnant looking stomach like the OP.
  • miss_ek
    miss_ek Posts: 8 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'll echo seeing a doctor, and not listening to me or anyone else, BUT I'm just going to point out that different people store fat differently. I want to bring your attention to "visceral fat." From Wikipedia:

"An excess of visceral fat is known as central obesity, the "pot belly" or "beer belly" effect, in which the abdomen protrudes excessively. This body type is also known as "apple shaped‚" as opposed to "pear shaped‚" in which fat is deposited on the hips and buttocks."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdominal_obesity

I'm in this category; I store most of my fat in and around the organs in my belly. Based on your height and weight, if this is how you distribute fat then your photo doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Again, see a doctor, but this might help inform you.
  • mmasters63
    mmasters63 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Mine is the same. I only had symptoms of bloating and a general feeling of uncomfortable. Went to my family doctor, he sent me in for an ultrasound... Found cysts in my liver and a polyp in my gall bladder. Sent me to a Gastroenterologist. He ran an MRI, did a upper scope and a colonoscopy. My entire digestive system was inflamed. But... I did not hurt, was in no pain. Ended up finally at Baylor College of Medicine, research doctors, and they are stumped. IBS yes, gall bladder not functioning yes - But no pain.

Please go check it out. You may have IBS and just not hurt or have the normal symptoms. It can be very frustrating with multiple doctors, but make sure you get one that LISTENS TO YOU!! and before you go in again, keep a food log and pay attention to your body. Does your tummy feel gurgly, do you feel bloated, are you gasy, nauseated.. those type things. This will help them tremendously. Good luck!!
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I have always eaten low carb - all my life since childhood (didnt even know what a "carb" meant, we just ate that way..) couple years ago i started eating the bad carbs and watching my macro. Now my belly is huge. I'm hooked on the bad carbs and sugar now, but i look like pure crap. this one is on me - doc told me to either go back to eating how I previously did or keep the belly and shut up. I hope you get the answers you are seeking!
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I have always eaten low carb - all my life since childhood (didnt even know what a "carb" meant, we just ate that way..) couple years ago i started eating the bad carbs and watching my macro. Now my belly is huge. I'm hooked on the bad carbs and sugar now, but i look like pure crap. this one is on me - doc told me to either go back to eating how I previously did or keep the belly and shut up. I hope you get the answers you are seeking!

Keep in mind carbs aren't to blame here. You simply started eating more calories by way of carbs. The same thing would have happened had you consumed more protein or fat.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Your picture makes me think of the Lyle McDonald video I saw recently where, among other things, he talked about how some women have "male fat pattern" (or something like that) meaning carrying a lot of fat around their stomachs which is more typical for men. He might have had some suggestions for that. I imagine a hormonal imbalance could play a role. Ask your doctor to test your hormone levels.

It's long - I watched it in segments while doing my yoga warmups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6846ZTBu08k&list=PLUXvX9BaxgqG9yO5XWB3gA_QshvrrcjVr&index=4
  • Yivs_87
    Yivs_87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    If it's bloating it would be on/off thing depending on whatever is causing this bloating...

It could be nothing - gas only for example, or it could be a lot more serious (as in tumor/mass serious).

So, seriously, go to a doctor.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Doctor doctor doctor.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Plenty of us tell someone when they think it's their stomach but it's their posture. Some of us even have pelvic tilt ourselves. While OP does need to work on her posture, and it does enhance the effect, this is more than that.

Agreed. Normally I am one of the first people to say "stand up straight" to people who post about their stomachs. But this looks like way more than a posture issue. It could *possibly* be male fat pattern (saying this as somebody with that issue myself) but her stomach looks really tight, which to me seems more like bloating. I definitely think she needs to see a doctor and if she's seen one, see another one. Second opinions, even third opinions, are often necessary in order to get a good/true diagnosis. Stomach bloat can be very serious--ovarian cancer is the first thing that pops to my mind. I hope that isn't the case for the OP but I wouldn't just let this one go. I'd definitely seek more professional advice.