Thin crust pizza dough/flatbread recipe?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
I love thin crust pizzas and flatbread pizza, and I've tried making my own dough but I haven't found one that tasted as good as the restaurant stuff yet.

Does anyone have a recipe that they are willing to share? I've tried tortillas and pre-made crusts and all that stuff and it just doesn't cut it either.

Replies

• miss_aims
    miss_aims Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    bump because I'm curious!
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I like Jiffy pizza crust. But I also use the Flatizza tortilla flatbread.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    This doesn't specify whether it is thick or thin dough but I saw it on MSN today and found it interesting:

"Use Yogurt For Making Pizza Dough

This literally changed my world. Pizza is what everyone wants at my house, but waiting for the dough to rise is torture. Instead, mix 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour with 3/4 cup yogurt until you have a kneadable dough. Let it rest for 5 minutes and you're ready for pizza night! Bake at 450ºF for 10-15 minutes and you have a crisp-yet-doughy crust."
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    this is my favorite pizza dough recipie. Its neapolitan style and i roll it out super thin. To make amazing pizza dough it takes effort and time but its worth it. Waiting for a starter to become ready is annoying but then you can not only make amazing pizza dough but crusty breads. seriously this is worth the time.

http://www.homemadepizza.tips/pizza-recipes/varasano-pizza-recipe/5
  • Francl27
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    this is my favorite pizza dough recipie. Its neapolitan style and i roll it out super thin. To make amazing pizza dough it takes effort and time but its worth it. Waiting for a starter to become ready is annoying but then you can not only make amazing pizza dough but crusty breads. seriously this is worth the time.

Yeah I admit I haven't dared bothering with starters yet because it seems complicated and I haven't found any dumbified starter 101 guide to take me through it... Probably why my stuff isn't as good though! I make breads too so it's definitely something I should look into.
  • jforshizzle
    jforshizzle Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have been making flatbread pizza on Naan bread. I use naan, plain tomato sauce, and mexican blend shredded cheese (plus whatever toppings you like). I put it in the oven until the cheese is perfectly melty. My husband likes it because its quick and apparently tastes just as good as our delivery pizza place!
  • swissmiss431
    swissmiss431 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a pizza place. I know my pizza. I make this all the time and the family LOVES it. This makes 2 pizzas.

1.5 cups warm water
    1 packet of yeast
    4 cups flour
    1 tsp salt
    6 T olive oil

Combine the warm water and yeast together and let it start to bloom.

Combine the flour and salt together. Then add the olive oil and work it together until the mixture looks like pea-sized crumbs.

Make a well in the center of the crumb/flour. Pour in the water and yeast and work together with a fork into a loose ball. Knead for 10 minutes on a floured surface and then return to the bowl and let rise for 40 minutes or until double.

Divide into 2 balls. Roll the first out and transfer to a pizza pan or greased cookie sheet.

Top and bake at 425F for 6-10 minutes or until crisp and lightly browned around the edges.

Cals - with 1/2 cup sauce and 1 cup moz cheese is 206 cal per slice (16 slices between the 2 pizzas). Crust alone is the 159 cals per serving.
  • oldsoul918
    oldsoul918 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    This doesn't specify whether it is thick or thin dough but I saw it on MSN today and found it interesting:

"Use Yogurt For Making Pizza Dough

This literally changed my world. Pizza is what everyone wants at my house, but waiting for the dough to rise is torture. Instead, mix 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour with 3/4 cup yogurt until you have a kneadable dough. Let it rest for 5 minutes and you're ready for pizza night! Bake at 450ºF for 10-15 minutes and you have a crisp-yet-doughy crust."

I make this a lot. It's so easy and so good! We usually make grilled pizzas with it :) I've used it in the oven and it's pretty good, but not nearly as good as BBQ'd I don't think.

http://www.downhomeinspiration.com/easily-grill-pizza-totally/
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I just buy the fleishman's pizza yeast (basically quick yeast that doesn't need to proof). The recipe on the back makes excellent crust and I just roll it extra thin.
  • fishshark
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Yeah I admit I haven't dared bothering with starters yet because it seems complicated and I haven't found any dumbified starter 101 guide to take me through it... Probably why my stuff isn't as good though! I make breads too so it's definitely something I should look into.

i made my starter with just flour and water. And i feed it over time or freeze it. There is wild yeast in the air/on the flour.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I use 80 grams of whole wheat flour, a packet of red star platinum yeast and enough warm water that it makes a nice dough that pulls away at the edges during mixing. That's it!

It takes an hour to rise and it's enough for a decent sized thin crust pizza.
  • Francl27
    Options

i made my starter with just flour and water. And i feed it over time or freeze it. There is wild yeast in the air/on the flour.

See, I have no clue what 'feeding' a starter means, lol!
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I see my family isn't the only one here that makes pizza from a sourdough starter. We have our dough sit overnight, then have it mixed in a bread machine in the morning. After that, we refrigerate the dough for a few hours before working with it.
  • caspad1
    caspad1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use Mark Bittman's recipe for pizza dough. http://markbittman.com/dinner-with-bittman-pizza-dough/
    I make the dough the night before, put in the fridge to slow rise overnight.

You may also want to try Cook's Illustrated thin crust pizza dough. They recommend letting it rise in the fridge for three days to get that NY thin crust taste. It makes two pizzas. Don't try to halve the recipe. Just freeze the other half if you don't want to use it right away.
    http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/01/cooks-illustrated-thin-crust-new-york-ny-pizza-recipe.html
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Feeding means removing and adding equal parts flour and water every day to give the dough a boost, but you don't need a starter. It's usually for sourdough bread that you need one.
  • fishshark
    Options

Feeding means removing and adding equal parts flour and water every day to give the dough a boost, but you don't need a starter. It's usually for sourdough bread that you need one.

you dont have to feed a starter everyday once its established. one a week will suffice.