Salad Ideas

Options
I was wondering what yall do to make your salads more intresting. I love salads but get tired of the same ole salad. So tonight I did my own version of the Wendys berry salad by using Dole Spring Mix lettuce adding a grilled chicken breast about a half a cup of sliced strawberries, a 1/4 cup of feta cheese crumbles and drizzled 2tbls of fat free raspberry vingerette over it and it was very delicious and came in right at 350 calories. I would love to have some other good salad recipes if anyone would like to share them with me!!!!!

Replies

• BarnDogBob
    BarnDogBob Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Sunflower Kernels. They add a crunch and flavor that is fantastic.
  • MsTru2U
    MsTru2U Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    That's an excellent question. I'm going to BUMP this to see what responses you get
    *BUMP*
  • Debrox69
    Debrox69 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    They have a salad mix of Crasins & pecans, very tasty! It goes great with any vinegrette dressing!
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    If I like it, I add it to my salad - everything from garbanzo and black beans to cheddar pretzel bits from snyders. I also sometimes use salsa instead of salad dressing - so much fewer calories. Just add wha youlike. A spoonful of peas and corn, turkey bacon crumbled. The neat thing is, if you like it, do it. And experiment with different proteinds too - chicken is great but so is shrimp, cubed pork, tuna fish, etc.

Enjoy.
  • maritimemom
    maritimemom Posts: 192
    Options
    Bump!
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    walnuts are great and craiins too. I do a spinach salad with crumbled blue cheese walnuts craisins and drizzle balsamic vinegar and I alternate the protein from grilled steak or grilled chicken breast. Yum!!
  • teshaerwin
    teshaerwin Posts: 42
    Options
    I put EVERYTHING on to of a fresh bed of spinach! some examples...Tuna salad, chicken salad, fat free cottage cheese and fruit, turkey burger with sauteed mushrooms and onions, apples, feta cheese, cranberries seeds and nuts etc. Its all fab! One of my favorites it to take a bed of spinach and put black beans, tomato, avocado, ff or lite cheese, salsa, and ff or lite sour cream its amazing! Its so good you feel like you are being bad lol...
  • bethy73
    bethy73 Posts: 39
    Options
    I'm like teshaerwin ... I add most anything to baby spinach. Some of my favorites are mandarin oranges, chopped apples, grapes, chopped turkey or chicken breast [especially the leftovers that I have that I have previously marinated in teriyaki or sun dried tomato vinaigrette], fat free cottage cheese, ground chicken that I crumbled and had marinated in teriyaki, salsa, chopped tomatoes .... you name it! I even made a reduced fat taco salad using baby spinach the other night and it was very low in calories and fat. Plus, when you add things like fruit, etc. to your salads, you don't realize that you aren't using much dressing at all, so you tend to really cut down on the dressings.

Good luck. I never thought I'd be as much of a "rabbit" as I am. =)

~Beth
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I grow my own fresh herbs and sprinkle them liberally on my salad. It seriously revs up the taste. Favs: Basil, oregano, tarragon, dill, parsley. I also love grilled fish, especially salmon, and every left over vegetable known to mankind. Hubby likes to zing up his salad with fresh fruit--strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, apple, grapes, melon. We also want to start experimenting with making our own salad dressings.
  • kleguisamon
    kleguisamon Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    BUMP

6899244.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • cjrss03
    cjrss03 Posts: 22
    Options
    I made an awesome salad tonight! Spinach, radishes, ham, hard boiled egg, cheddar cheese, and beets. Yummy!
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MelissaS222
    Options
    I love grilled veggies and they taste great chopped up and on a bed of greens. Mushrooms, onions, green peppers all work great! They add a nice smokey flavor too.
  • dgarblik
    dgarblik Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump
  • justme84x
    justme84x Posts: 66
    Options
    I love making a southwestern style salad by tossing in some corn, black beans, chicken, onion and using salsa as my dressing YUM!
  • kitkatblondi
    Options
    you should check out some of the women's health & food recipe magazines in stores right now. They have so many new ideas to jazz up salads :)
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    My mom came up with this one....she doesn't even add dressing to hers.
    spinach, craisins, sunflower seeds and shredded cheddar cheese!
    YUM!
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Fiesta Chicken Salad:

Mix of Boston lettuce and baby spinach (or greens of choice)
    Diced chicken (baked or grilled)
    Grilled corn on the cob, cut off the cob (could substitute cooked frozen corn or rinsed canned corn)
    Black beans
    Thin sliced red onions
    2% finely shredded sharp cheddar
    Fresh, chilled salsa as dressing
    2 TBSP. crumbled tortilla chips (optional)