Lowering calorie intake

Options
Hey guys. Long time lurker on the boards. I have been on and off with fitness and working out and finally on again. I had been using a 1600 calorie a day plan and staying under for the past month. Started at 211 now down to 200.2. Do you guys lower your calories or stick with what has worked? I'm always about 200-800 calories under after working out anyway. Any help would be appreciated. I'm a 25 year old male. 5-9. Active and I have a good scale and weigh everything but liquids but I just drink water and skim milk and I weigh that.

Replies

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    As you update your weight, MFP should automatically adjust.
  • miss_e81
    miss_e81 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    https://www.caloriecount.com/tools/calories-goal
    I really like this calculator since it takes into account a few more variables than MFP
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    For men the lowest minimum is 1500 (NET). Because you are young & not short that number would be pretty small for you. Net means you eat a % of exercise calories back.

Larger deficits make it harder for your body to support existing lean muscle mass. Faster weight loss often comes with a hefty price tag.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,065 Member
    Options
    MFP will prompt you to reset your Goals periodically ( I think it's every 10 pounds) - and you have to go in manually to Goals and click "Save" for them to update. It's only 10-20 or so calories, so not a big deal.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Being young and male you're probably eating too low as it is. 1500 is the lowest recommended for a male.
  • lonragland24
    lonragland24 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the fast replies guys. I have been doing lots of strength workouts with Cardio after. I follow a plan from men's fitness. I don't want to lose muscle but I do want to tone and lose weight. I know I can't spot reduce so I follow a total body plan of strength. I lost 5lbs last week which I know is a lot and not typical but I ate perfectly and under 1600 with working out everyday but I don't want to go to far under with eating
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Normally, as you get smaller you need to eat less calories. But since you are already so low, and losing quickly, you should not reduce further. Unless you are obese, it is generally not recommended to lose faster than 2 lbs per week, and at your weight and to spare muscle loss, you should probably be aiming for 1 lb per week.
  • lonragland24
    Options
    Thanks guys you are right. I used to be excited losing so much weight but I know a rapid weight loss is not healthy and usually causes the muscle to rapidly decrease as well. I just cringe seeing a 2000 calorie intake goal lol I just don't think I could eat that much. That's what MFP is now suggesting
  • Charlot4444
    Charlot4444 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Cringe? I would be jumping for joy! Nom nom food (more protein to keep those muscles!!)

I think the biggest winner is who can eat the most and still lose weight (with very little loss to muscle). That's my goal anyway!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'9, 177 pound, 41 year old female, and I'm losing on 1930 calories. Eat the food, kiddo! ;)
  • lonragland24
    Options
    Thanks for the great insight guys! Follow up question. How many calories would you think is to much to eat? I still want to lose and lean and build some muscle. I am eating about 1550-1800..usually under. I burn about 500-900 calories a day. Any ideas?