When Is It OK to Workout?

Options
Sore legs. Sore arms. Sore body. When is it okay to Workout and when isn't it?

Replies

• JulesLWM
    JulesLWM Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just wait 48 hours before lifting weights or doing strength training on the same body area (arms/legs). Abdominal muscles are the only ones you can do everyday, because there are no joints in your abdominal area. You can do cardio everyday, but if your sore it's okay to take a day off too. If you have joint or nerve pain I would be cautious about working it until it is feeling better.
  • spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Sore is okay, pain is not. Once you warm up you'll hardly even feel sore, and it will help prevent further soreness. Pain will only get worse and is an indication to stop immediately.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You can exercise when sore.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Exercising when sore usually helps make me less sore.
  • Earthfyre
    Earthfyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Exercising when sore usually helps make me less sore.

I agree. Warm up properly, stretch, if you are really sore take a lighter day.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Yep 48 hrs. You'll be less sore as you get used to exercising regularly.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Lol 48 hours. I didn't know your muscles were on a timer....

It's perfectly fine to exercise when you are sore. When there is pain though that's when you need to be careful.

In general if a muscle is sore give it a day off and stretch but there is no time limit you have to follow.

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Lol 48 hours. I didn't know your muscles were on a timer....

It's perfectly fine to exercise when you are sore. When there is pain though that's when you need to be careful.

In general if a muscle is sore give it a day off and stretch but there is no time limit you have to follow.

Agree. Just make sure you warm up enough first so as to not pull a tight muscle, but personally that feeling keeps me going. Lets me know what I'm doing is effective.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    JulesLWM wrote: »
    Just wait 48 hours before lifting weights or doing strength training on the same body area (arms/legs). Abdominal muscles are the only ones you can do everyday, because there are no joints in your abdominal area. You can do cardio everyday, but if your sore it's okay to take a day off too. If you have joint or nerve pain I would be cautious about working it until it is feeling better.

Disagree.

OP - if you can give the required effort, then you're fine to workout. If you can't, then don't... walk instead. Or stretch. Or something. Just move... getting the muscles warmed up and loose is a good way to help them recover.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Sore is fine, 9 times out of 10 once you start, even sore, you don't feel it during the workout. The only time to not go is when you feel actual pain. You have to be honest with yourself to differentiate between the two.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I work out sore all the time. Nothing cures sore quite like a good lift. Or run. Or some other thing that gets blood flowing. They're DOMS, not injury. DOMS don't pile up so much as hurt worse when you just sit there waiting for them to go away.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Sore legs. Sore arms. Sore body. When is it okay to Workout and when isn't it?

If you had a hard work out, lifted heavy, upped your reps or your max weight, it is a good idea to give your body a rest day. I work out sore regularly, but if you are in excruciating, aching pain then take a rest. Only you know your body. Listen to it. Drink lots of water and take some BCAA's.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    some of the best workouts i've done when i've been sore af. for me, after a long run on sunday, there is nothing like a nice swim or easy bike ride on monday to workout the build up of lactic acid.