Stronglifts 5X5 ?

Options
dbkyser
dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
I started doing this program a few weeks ago and its going fantastic.
I started with just the bar since I had never lifted and its progressing perfectly. Each day is challenging but I can get through the weight increase and after the first couple days am not really sore.

My question is if I want to add some curls would I be better off doing that on days I work out or the rest days. I am sure as the weights increase I may be to shot to do them but for now want to do a few sets with the curl bar.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    You can do them the same day. There is actually a program called Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 which is basically stronglifts with some extra lifts and it includes curls.

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Curls is actually an accessory to the workout B. If you have the app on your phone and are willing to pay the $9.99 for the assisted workouts also.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Once you get a couple of weeks into Strong Lifts and Starting Strength, it's expected that you add in upper body accessory work (squats and deadlifts do FAR more on the lower body than bench and OHP does on the upper body). Add chin/pull ups, curls, and ab work for a strong, aesthetic, and balanced body.

I suggest doing these after the big lifts, that way your rest day is 100% used on recuperating and preparing for next session.
  • dbkyser
    Options
    Thanks, and I may add that app as I use it for the 5X5
  • ASH_DVM
    ASH_DVM Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Just started today with SL 5x5 and had similar questions as you. Thanks for asking them and getting an answer! I'll follow the program to the T for the first few weeks, then add other lifts in as well. Thanks!
  • dbkyser
    Options
    ASH_DVM wrote: »
    Just started today with SL 5x5 and had similar questions as you. Thanks for asking them and getting an answer! I'll follow the program to the T for the first few weeks, then add other lifts in as well. Thanks!

No problem, I know growth early on is easy but to be honest I am surprised at how well I am doing so far. I always felt horrible about my low weights on the bench let alone even attempting to squat.

I am already benching close to my previous max and doing 5 sets of 5.
    For me this program works perfect. I added on the $9.99 app and adding curls and probably some ab work.
  • mommytoaiden
    mommytoaiden Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 5x5 for about 2 weeks now. I really like it too!
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Just remember - tris for the guys, curls for the girls.