Couch to 5k

Options
Just completed day one week one of couch to 5k, was struggling by run 5 but pushed through! Glad to be sitting down now though haha!

Is anyone doing couch to 5k as well and just starting? Would love for us to all join together and motivate each other!

Anyone who has completed it, how was it? Im thinking I might have to repeat every week but im fine with that as want to make this a long time habit and maybe run a marathon in a few years

Replies

• lindwalk
    lindwalk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Good for you for starting this program! I coached a number of women through this and found it to be an excellent pace to progress. Don't worry about having to repeat a week more than once. The most important thing is to remain consistent and commit. Do you listen to music while you run? It really helps.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    slow slow slow slow. Then slower. slow to the point of being barely a shuffle, so slow you may even be walking. THAT is key. Speed comes later, for now it's endurance.

aim to keep your steps small, and your cadence high - marathon runners aim for 180 steps (right and left count as one each) per minute, yours will be less but try for 3 steps per second. There is a big jump in 'run' time around week 4 which is daunting, but just slow it right down and you'll be fine.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I did it last spring...2 years into my fitness regime. I had quit smoking and felt it was time to do it.

I was nervous at first but didn't find it an issue....might have been my walking and weight lifting prior to even starting it.

I ran my first full 5k (stopped 2x after hills) on Week 7...continued to run 5ks all summer 3x a week.

Suggestions...hmmm...go slow repeat days as necessary and create a running play list.

Learn how to breath properly, get good shoes and something you are comfortable in. I run on a trail (old railway bed) which is great as I never have impact pain.
  • PantoneRed
    PantoneRed Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    First day of C25K today! I used to run and even completed a couple of 5K. It's a great app. I was thanking goodness when it announced that I was on 8 of 8 running segments.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I am about 5 weeks in but have found myself pushing a little further each time; for example, rather than running 1/4 and 1/2 mile segments, I am throwing in 1 mile segments. But at the beginning, it was all I could do to run for 60 or 90 seconds or whatever. I think one thing that has helped me is expanding my aerobic capacity by doing an elliptical or arc trainer 4-5 times a week. The most challenging part was the impact on my body, especially my shins, so I started running on turf and asphalt, and I have been adding in pavement so I am more comfortable running on a sidewalk now. I also lost 25 lbs before starting, which has been helpful for the impact stress on my shins, particularly, but that is not necessary as long as you are careful. If I were starting this before losing weight via lots of exercise, I would probably be repeating weeks. My mile is like the most shameful time in the world...12 minutes just tenaciously plugging along, but it's a big step for me, and I am sure I will get faster. What I really like about the program is, it is challenging, but it also limits you to just 20 minutes of running, and it helps prevent you from overdoing it. Rather than beating yourself up that you can only run 60 seconds, it changes your outlook to, "I am only running 60 seconds to care for and strengthen my body."
  • helenmay161
    helenmay161 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I did it last spring...2 years into my fitness regime. I had quit smoking and felt it was time to do it.

I was nervous at first but didn't find it an issue....might have been my walking and weight lifting prior to even starting it.

I ran my first full 5k (stopped 2x after hills) on Week 7...continued to run 5ks all summer 3x a week.

Suggestions...hmmm...go slow repeat days as necessary and create a running play list.

Learn how to breath properly, get good shoes and something you are comfortable in. I run on a trail (old railway bed) which is great as I never have impact pain.

• kaaaayla
    kaaaayla Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 5 right now! Doing a treadmill version. I was not a total couch potato, so I started at week 4 day 1, which was more my level.

So far, it hasn't been a challenge except for my last run, which was run 8 minutes, walk 5 minutes, run 8 more minutes. That one was rough, but it may be because I was just tired and not in the mood to do it. I think it always goes better if I'm pumped up and mentally ready for it beforehand.

I still haven't gotten the full 5k in 30 minutes, but that's expected, since I'm only at week 5. Right now I'm getting about 2.1 miles in 30 minutes. Before beginning C25K, I could job about an 11 minute mile, but couldn't do any more than that, so I think it's building endurance by forcing me to walk every now and then.

Good luck! I hope we both survive.
  • rnurse82
    rnurse82 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I started yesterday! I made it through it and couldn't believe I made it!! I'm willing to keep in touch through the next few weeks! I joined the C25k group as well. Haven't had time to browse it to see what it is all about though. I plan on doing W1 D2 tomorrow.
  • Determinedtoloseliz
    Determinedtoloseliz Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    rnurse82 wrote: »
    I started yesterday! I made it through it and couldn't believe I made it!! I'm willing to keep in touch through the next few weeks! I joined the C25k group as well. Haven't had time to browse it to see what it is all about though. I plan on doing W1 D2 tomorrow.

Didnt realise there was a group where can i find that?
  • rnurse82
    Options
    rnurse82 wrote: »

Didnt realise there was a group where can i find that?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • Determinedtoloseliz
    Options
    Thanks!
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I just finished Week 6 Day 1 this morning. Each step of the way has been challenging, but surmountable. The program is structured well, such that while i was barely able to complete the 60-second runs a month and a half ago, last Friday i completed the 20 minute run. It wasn't easy; but i did it!

My biggest learning moments: learning how to breath from my belly, and finding the breathing pattern that works for me (3-step inhale, 2-step exhale), and learning to slow down my pace and LIKE it!

Once i got breathing and pacing in my mind, it really smoothed out. Now, when i find myself being challenged during a run, i find that i've lost control of my breathing or pacing, and bringing them back in line is what it takes to let me push through.

Congratulations for starting! that was a tough step for me; but now i can actually see myself maintaining running as part of my lifestyle, which is pretty remarkable for a nearly-40 overweight ex-smoker who has NEVER enjoyed running in his life.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I did week 4 day 2 today. It feels great to be able to run for five-minute stretches. Looking forward to more challenging weeks! I hear week 5 day 3 is a doozy.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I did week 4 day 2 today. It feels great to be able to run for five-minute stretches. Looking forward to more challenging weeks! I hear week 5 day 3 is a doozy.

I was a little anxious going into Week 5 Day 3. I struggled on Week 1 Day 1; had trouble believing i'd be able to make it 20 minutes straight. But once i got on the path and put my mind on my breathing, the ground passed along beneath me. Made it through 20 minutes, and looking forward to the next challenge.

You've got it in you. Next week, you'll see it, too!
  • PantoneRed
    PantoneRed Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link rnurse82! I also just found a Daily Check-In to help keep me accountable.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/970137/daily-check-in-thread/p1

• rachaelbell21
    rachaelbell21 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I started yesterday. I have been exercising consistently since January but have never been a runner so was nervous but went super slow and it was ok! Feel free to add me
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I finished last week, in that I hit the 30 minute goal a few days before my 61st birthday, but only about 2 miles in that time. Whenever I get tired, I slow down,as stated above. It depends a lot on your current fitness level. I thought I'd make it only half way through before my body complained with too many aches & pains and would have to repeat every week at least twice. I've not had any pain or other problems at all. I actually extended most of my workouts by adding one more 5 minute segment to the end and didn't need the entire 8 weeks to accomplish the time goal. Now I will keep adding 2-3 minutes a week to get up to 40 minutes, then try upping the pace gradually until I get to 5K. It's not as hard doing the time jump in week 5 as you think it will be. I was surprized! The cardio ability improved really quickly for me. If possible, do the first few longer runs with someone else. Good luck everyone. If I can do it, anyone can!!

PS I suggest being able to walk 45-60 minutes at a fairly quick pace before you try to run.
  • rnurse82
    Options
    W1D2 done! Woohooo!!! I could feel my thigh/hip muscles burning a tiny bit a little over half way through. Wondering how may W1 D3 will be, which I will do this Thursday. Can't wait to find out!
  • jordanamrussell
    jordanamrussell Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I started this program a bunch of times over the past 4-5 years. The furthest I got was week 6 and then I did a color run right around Christmas but fell off after that and never finished. That was the closest I got. And I really really want to finish and be able to run a full 5k!!
    I'm on week 2 right now (just finished day 2 yesterday). Feel free to add me
  • Determinedtoloseliz
    Options
    Thanks everyone for letting me know what your doing, about to go out for w1 d2 nervous