Do you count tea as water?

Options
In the little water count below your food diary, do you just count pure water? What about tea? Water with protein powder? Flavored water?

Replies

• Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I count the 3 cups of green tea I have every day - but not any drinks with calories - e.g. tea with milk, coffee with milk etc....

And no - I dont count my water I mix with Protein Powder......

But then I drink loads of water - so dont really have to be too precise with the amount of liquid I consume
  • IBHEALTHY2
    Options
    Herbal tea can count as water but not sure about other tea
  • K33pingFaith
    Options
    i would count it as water, but also if it has Cal, i would also log it in my food dairy
  • fultzjaf
    fultzjaf Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I count it all as water. I drink tea and flavored drinks sometimes and it's basically water, just adding something to it. That's just how I do it, I don't know about everyone else.
  • amayzingamanda
    amayzingamanda Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    personally, I count any liquid I consume. So like, the cup of tea I have in the morning, or the glass of unsweetened iced tea if i go out to lunch. Even when I have a drink out with friends (though I count my alcohol as half a cup of water since its really alcohol mixed with some other type of beverage etc).

but that's just me.... and I do it that way because of a supplement I was taking a few months ago and the label guidelines said to ensure you take in a certain number ounces of "liquid" per day as opposed to saying water.
  • NetStalker
    Options
    I drink coffee in the morning, and a glass of water, 32 oz Tea at lunch and some water after lunch, then water for supper.

I count all the water and half the tea since its a diuretic...(sp).

Dont know if thats correct, but it works for me. ;)
  • kristiedavis1
    Options
    I asked a nutritionist friend this question a few months ago (before I gave up everything but plain water and black coffee) and she said if it's decaf she counts it as water for both coffee and tea. She said flavored water also counts but you have to count the calories. I'd be interested to see what others say.
  • Just_Bethy
    Just_Bethy Posts: 272
    Options
    I count my water that has propel 0 in it as water....I also count it if I have the Special K or crystal light ..I just make sure I log the info...tea..if it was sugarless... I would count..
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I don't, but for me it's because the iced tea I drink has caffeine which counteracts the water. I only count plain water. Just my opinion!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I don't, but for me it's because the iced tea I drink has caffeine which counteracts the water. I only count plain water. Just my opinion!
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    as long as it's sugar free, carb free, sodium free, and all that stuff, I count it as water. I count my Crystal light as water! I put sweet n low and fat free milk in my tea, so I can't really count it. Fat free milk has cals!
  • jkatelyns
    jkatelyns Posts: 3
    Options
    i use to count it. But then I discovered that certain kinds of tea, like Green Tea, and certain drinks, have caffeine in them. Any drink with caffeine it it can actually dehydrates your body, so for every tea drink or caffeinated drink I have, I drink another whole cup of water and basically that cancels out the drink, but I don't include either because for ever drink that dehydrates you, the more water you need in your system, which is outside of the 8 cups you should have a day. It can be frustrating, but honestly, I would only could water that is pure to save the hassle.

I have found it all just depends on what you are accomplishing by drinking the water. I try to drink 12 cups a day because that compensates for my green tea I drink and then the water I need to stay hydrated while working out. Water is super important when you are trying to lose weight because it is a natural purifier. It helps rid your body of excess weight and actually cleans the fat out of your system when you are working to lose it. You need the pure 8 glasses a day to keep you hydrated, but it you are trying to lose weight, you need to drink enough to replenish what you need while working out and/or if you drink a lot of caffeine.
    A good gauge I have read is drink 8 cups, then drink one cup for every caffeinated beverage you might drink, then drink at least a cup to 2 cups if you do a good workout... in other words- cut back on the caffeine unless it is good and in moderation, and make sure you stay hydrated when working out...

I hope this helps. :flowerforyou:
  • Uk_Yogini
    Uk_Yogini Posts: 167
    Options
    I personally log my water separately.
  • AriesOx
    AriesOx Posts: 66
    Options
    I count any herbal tea I drink as water. Black/green teas I log as half (I don't add anything to these) due to the caffeine. Coffee, I don't count as water - I log it and the cream I add to it. If I have flavoured water, I count it as water, but also make sure to add any calories (if any) that the flavour adds - but generally I drink straight water if I'm drinking water.

Hope this helps, I think the best thing is to just be consistent about how you log it. Everyone finds their own way...
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I count 1 glass of green or white tea a day. They seem to help me lose and they have no calories and less caffeine than coffee or black tea. I do not count anymore caffeine drinks in my water count. That is my compromise. Caffeine has some benefits for weight loss as well. However I think the point is to count water that is why I limit to 1 of the glasses. I have 1 cup of coffee but don't count it. So personally I would make sure you have mostly water in that count to get the benefit. However most herbal teas are fine to count.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I only count water as water..... but that's just me. :bigsmile:
  • AngieMMc
    AngieMMc Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    As long as it doesn't have caffeine or sugar I think it's ok to track it as water but I only personally track water as water and log everything else in the calorie counter area.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    TY, TY, OP and wise responses! I always wonder this and haven't really counted my large tea intake as water, but do log it as calories.