Chronic pain issues - suggestions for coping with flares/brain fog

Options
I have fibromyalgia, arthritis and chronic migraines.

I seem to do well when I'm just dealing with my baseline of every day pain but the moment I hit a flare or more than a day of migraines (I can have 4-5 days at my worst), I default to old behaviours.

I find it hard to get out to walk when it takes all my energy just to get out of bed and take a shower and I find it hard to eat well when my brain's barely online enough to say "no, comfort foods aren't going to make things any better".

I'm assuming there are others here dealing with the same kinds of issues. Do you have any tips or tricks or anything that helps you push through those times?

I am lucky enough to be a stay at home mum and I can adjust my schedule as needed (daughter is older) so mentally I'm in a good place (there's no guilt or anxiety associated with my being ill).

And I feel like, aside from migraine attacks and fibro flares, my head is in a good place and I /really/ want to succeed this time. But when those two things hit, it's like my brain and body shut down and I'm just operating on auto-pilot until they clear. Help?

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Have you tried a no high processed food diet or a chemical additives free type of diet? Like avoiding msg?
    My library is full of books on the subject and it seems that for a some people food can help.
    Worth a visit to yours. It's free.
    Open your diary to the public so people can spot mistakes? Mines open.
    Include any drinks with lots of ingredients, even if they are calorie free.

• jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I am actually vegetarian and I eat a lot of beans, lentils, grains, vegetables and fruits. My core diet is actually quite good with very little processed food and most meals made from scratch at home. I don't eat anything with msg, artificial sweeteners, etc.

It's only when I'm in these flares/attacks that I go out of my way to binge on crap (family members - who have no problems with portion control, etc, have junk food in the house and I go nuts on it).

I don't open my diary because I know I wouldn't be honest if others were reading it.

None of this is a what I'm eating issue (per se) although I thank you for taking the time to respond. I'm more asking how people who deal with my kind of chronic pain deal with how they mentally feel during those attacks/flares.

All the books tell you to be kind to yourself and accept how you're feeling and go with it but honestly? If I go with not feeling like walking or other activities because of pain, I would miss half the month or more.

I find it really hard to think logically when I'm in the middle of them. The whole thing you'd go through where you tell yourself that these actions are not helping just doesn't happen. I actually lose whole days to pain that doesn't stop. So I'm looking for suggestions for things I could do - tips and tricks - that could help me override that (not the actual pain, but the brain fog/falling completely off track that goes with it).
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is start slow. I have chronic illnesses too. Maybe do gentle yoga and start off doing a couple of minutes, and then each week increase the amount. Stop if you have to, it's ok.

I'm a stay at home parent as well, I know how overwhelming it can be. My son is 18 months so he needs mommy all the time.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    start slow. realize that you might feel like you can do more till the next day.
    i find mint helps clear my brain. or spicy food.

for me, i decided i can either hurt and be unhealthy or hurt and healthy. I also know i have to take rest days sometimes. sometimes, my brain is too foggy. sometimes, my balance is off, sometimes, my joints hurt too much.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    While I commend you for making most of your meals at home I have to wonder if it's still something that you're eating. I suffered from migraines, joint pain, fatigue, brain fog and severe daily heartburn. My elbows hurt so much that I could barely lift anything that required me to grasp and hold. I cut gluten from my diet and these things cleared up within about a week. I can tell when I've had something with gluten because I'll be headachy and have heartburn the next day (so I know I'm going to be miserable tomorrow, lol). It takes repeated exposure to bring back the joint pain. I feel like there are so many gluten free whole foods out there that you could just do a short test and see if it works for you. Give it a week and if you don't notice an improvement you can tell me I'm wrong.

In the meantime drink plenty of water, make sure you're getting the right electrolytes and get plenty of rest. Good luck!!
  • Colorscheme
    Options
    StacyChrz wrote: »
    While I commend you for making most of your meals at home I have to wonder if it's still something that you're eating. I suffered from migraines, joint pain, fatigue, brain fog and severe daily heartburn. My elbows hurt so much that I could barely lift anything that required me to grasp and hold. I cut gluten from my diet and these things cleared up within about a week. I can tell when I've had something with gluten because I'll be headachy and have heartburn the next day (so I know I'm going to be miserable tomorrow, lol). It takes repeated exposure to bring back the joint pain. I feel like there are so many gluten free whole foods out there that you could just do a short test and see if it works for you. Give it a week and if you don't notice an improvement you can tell me I'm wrong.

In the meantime drink plenty of water, make sure you're getting the right electrolytes and get plenty of rest. Good luck!!

You're not a doctor, you shouldn't be giving advice as to what it could or couldn't be.
  • miss_ek
    miss_ek Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what your feeling... You need to eliminate GLUTEN completely that is what causing all your flair's and pain... Try it for at least a week or 2 and see how you'll start feeling
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I get migraines 2-3 times a week during bad spells, more like 1 a week on a good week. I feel you.
    I try to be kind to myself in ways other than food during those times. I won't do any chores that require me to drive in bad traffic, for instance. I have the built-in excuse that my vision can be disrupted, but it's also something I hate to do so I give myself the day off from things like that.
    Another thing I'll do on those days is take the extra time to give myself a face massage and put a mask on my face and soak in the tub.
    Things like that.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options

You're not a doctor, you shouldn't be giving advice as to what it could or couldn't be.

While I'm not a doctor I have suffered from very similar symptoms and found that removing gluten made a huge difference for me. I simply suggested she try eliminating gluten to see if she had an improvement, and if not to go back to what she was doing. She asked for suggestions.
  • Colorscheme
    Options

While I'm not a doctor I have suffered from very similar symptoms and found that removing gluten made a huge difference for me. I simply suggested she try eliminating gluten to see if she had an improvement, and if not to go back to what she was doing. She asked for suggestions.

Well not everything has a cause. I have fibro too and POTS, and joint pain but that's from a car accident i had 3 years ago. I actually feel better the more active I am so I started with Leslie Sansone's walking videos on YT and built up over months. Now I can walk 5-7 miles a day with some breaks in between.

I hear so many people here say "oh all I had to do was cut out so and so food and I was fine!"

Ok, great it worked for some people but that doesn't mean it's the answer to everything. I mean, it's not even known how fibromyalgia even happens and it's also tied up with other existing conditions.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I have MCS, which has some overlap with FM. I avoid actual triggers and talk to my limbic system about things it's overreacting too that it should not.

First I read The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science and then I went to a neural retraining workshop based on neuroplasticity: http://www.dnrsystem.com

There were people in my workshop with FM. http://www.dnrsystem.com/fibromyalgia.html

Immediately afterwards, I was able to ride in a new car without the new car smell making me sick and get into a relationship with a man who smokes and uses scented personal car products. (I did have to ask him to change his laundry detergent to an unscented variety, however.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

Well not everything has a cause. I have fibro too and POTS, and joint pain but that's from a car accident i had 3 years ago. I actually feel better the more active I am so I started with Leslie Sansone's walking videos on YT and built up over months. Now I can walk 5-7 miles a day with some breaks in between.

I hear so many people here say "oh all I had to do was cut out so and so food and I was fine!"

Ok, great it worked for some people but that doesn't mean it's the answer to everything. I mean, it's not even known how fibromyalgia even happens and it's also tied up with other existing conditions.

A food elimination diet is a really easy thing to try and preliminary studies show it can be effective for at least half of the people who try it.

https://www.verywell.com/the-elimination-diet-for-fibromyalgia-cfs-715721

...Research shows that at least half of the people with FMS or ME/CFS get significant relief from symptoms - including pain, fatigue, headaches, bloating and breathing difficulties - by eliminating certain foods. The most common problem foods are corn, wheat, dairy, citrus and sugar, but it varies from person to person.

http://www.celiac.com/articles/118/1/Elimination-Diet-May-Ease-Fibromyalgia/Page1.html

...After the elimination of the foods, nearly half of the patients reported a significant reduction of pain, and 76% reported a reduction in other symptoms such as bloating, heartburn, headache, fatigue, and breathing difficulties. Two patients, however, reported an increase in symptoms.

After the two-week period the patients were re-introduced to the foods one at a time every 2-3 days, and many of their symptoms returned. The most common problem-causing foods for the patients in the study were corn, wheat, dairy, citrus and sugar. Dr. Edman emphasized that the findings of the study are preliminary and more research in this area needs to be done.
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice so far. I have seen a number of rheumatologists and neurologists over the years (on top of the migraines, I also suffered a severe head injury roughly 6 years ago and I'm still having issues from that on occasion).

The first thing they do is check my diet. I have done elimination diets (checking for allergens), low-acid diets (stomach issues), low FODMAPS diets, gluten-free (for two months), etc. None of these have made any difference.

Anyone suffering any kind of chronic issues can definitely benefit from looking for food sources for those issues but in my case, we've been there, done that.

I have mild to medium intolerances to onions and garlic and so I tend to cut them out or way down in recipes but they don't affect anything but my digestive issues.

I think finding ways to be kind to myself (or comfort myself) that don't involve food when my flares/migraine hit may be key. It's just getting my brain to turn to those that's difficult so maybe I need to make a list when I'm feeling better.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have chronic pain plus a chronic illness (gastroparesis... Which causes further pain). In general, I find I have less brain fog when I can go for a walk or something each day. Moving seems to keep me mentally sharper although I am restricted to low impact and have had to limit weights due to increased nerve damage in my hand. Perhaps trying some light low impact stuff like walking, swimming, etc. To deal with pain (other than my tray full of meds)... I personally find heat really helpful. I used to get a lot of migraines as well and found that they are sometimes food related (red dye for me is an absolute no no as a tiny amount is a trigger) or weather related. Staying on top of my neck pain also helps. Then again, these things may all be different for you. Are you hooked up to a pain clinic? They may be able to help further.

In terms of losing weight when all you want to do is curl up, try pre-logging your food and allow yourself one small treat a day (log it before you eat so you know if it can fit... I find allowing myself a treat each day helps me still enjoy life). Otherwise it truly is just a matter of wanting it and being persistent. If you want non- food rewards for losing weight, then make a chart (ie: lose 5 lb= get nails done, lose 10 lb= get new top, etc.). Fill it with things you enjoy! :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It's very difficult when you're in pain. Pain can make you think you're hungry when you're not. I find that any kind of movement, even a short walk, helps my various sources of pain and the more I can walk or exercise, the better I feel.

Consider planning your meals a week ahead, buying the needed food, and eliminating the tempting/comfort foods from your pantry & frig. If it's not there, you won't eat it. If you're able to get to the store to buy unhealthy food, you should be able to take a walk instead. There are seated exercise routines on TV and you tube, so you might investigate these.

Various foods & dietary changes can affect some people, but they're not a given with these conditions. They involve very complicated processes which, as mentioned above, are not well understood.
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Being able to hit the easy button when I am not feeling well is key for me. For example, meals prepared when you feel well that you can freeze and just take out and microwave. A list on the refrigerator of easy to make foods that you might not remember you have the ingredients for in the midst of a 5 day migraine. Perhaps try to create a healthy habit that feels comforting without the extra calories like a fancy tea you only drink when not feeling well.

On the exercise front, if the weather and migraine are not extreme maybe just try to get outside and sit on the porch (in the shade or after dark if you are light sensitive with migraines). Maybe you will then feel inspired to walk to the mailbox, maybe around the block, or maybe you will just get benefit of listening to birds chirp and feel the wind for a bit without pushing yourself too hard.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    miss_ek wrote: »
    I know exactly what your feeling... You need to eliminate GLUTEN completely that is what causing all your flair's and pain... Try it for at least a week or 2 and see how you'll start feeling

As someone with fibromyalgia as well, I can say for certain this is ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I have FMS as well. The key for me has been finding a terrific doctor and getting it under control. This is pain management, good sleep, and making the most out of the time you do have energy. I don't want to discuss meds and more personal medical stuff on an open thread, but feel free to message me and/or add me as a friend.
  • Tydeclare44
    Tydeclare44 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Before I start, I just want to say I am in no way connected to this book. All it did was change my life.

I had crazy brain fog. Like, can't focus on a task level of brain fog. I do not have a chronic pain issue, but I always had aches and pains. So I turned my focus on parts of my life that were lacking, and one of things that stuck out was my sleep. I read Shawn Stevenson's book called Sleep Smarter, which helped my get the best sleep of my life by getting my hormones in check. By doing this, it improved every aspect of my life, including willpower and clarity to make proper food choices. Again, I cannot speak to any chronic pain issues, but as for brain fog, mine is completely gone after following this book's advice.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I'm going on record saying I have not been diagnosed with fibromyalgia however a friend who has been suffering with it for years is convinced I've had it for years and found a way to beat it or shall we say manage it.

I used to suffer horribly with what I thought was nerve damage related to a car accident. On top of that was stomach bloating, lots of aches and pains and so many sleepless nights. For many of you I don't need to continue with all the "other" issues associated. I thought I was crazy for the smell issue but I see someone else has it too.

I'm blown away that you found garlic can be an issue for you, it's one for me as well and since you're vegetarian my other trigger won't matter but it's beef/red meat. I also found I could eat garlic if minced (in jar) or dried/powdered but fresh garlic is more damaging and any of these items mixed with mushrooms can trigger a negative reaction.
    I also avoid excess sodium, don't drink soda, caffeine limited to 1 cup a day and have found the biggest trigger of all is stress!

Someone mentioned yoga, I agree completely even if all you do is stretch but I warn you I had some bad nights if I did it too close to bedtime, about 2-3 hours before sleeping I'm fine. The meal planning and preparing meals ahead of time is big too for when you really just don't have the energy to deal.

For a while I slept with one of those neck roll pillows filled with buckwheat and that seemed to help some.

A friend of mine just had that middle part of the ear pierced a few months ago to stop migraines and it's been like a miracle for her so that might be worth looking into.

I can honestly say I don't remember when the "nerve damage" stopped but I can say I know it was after I lost a huge chunk of weight. On the days you can do, on the days you can't just simply try, call a friend, reach out for help, remember you aren't alone.

You're welcome to add me as a friend, my diary is open, don't always enter as I'm in maintenance now but I'm honest with it.