Weight lifting: did you seek a trainer before you started?

Options
I'm curious to see what kind of path those of you who lift took. Did you seek a trainer to teach you proper form, etc.? Or did you more or less teach yourself by way of videos, articles, etc.?

I'm looking to get into regular lifting, and I'm planning to seek the guidance of a trainer for at least the first few session to ensure proper form and whatnot. I'm just curious to see what everyone else has done!

Replies

• zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Anything you can learn from a trainer you can learn on the web. The only positive a trainer would provide would be watching your form on certain exercises, like squats and deads. If you aren't doing those you don't really need one.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I did one session with a trainer who went through all the moves with me to teach me proper form. I was super happy I did, all the little tweaks and exact ways to hold my body I would absolutely have been doing wrong without it. there's a big difference between reading about form and actually feeling the way your body feels doing it.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I watched form videos and then recorded myself a few times with an empty bar. Once I was satisfied with that, I started adding weight to the bar. I record myself every so often to check and make sure my form is still okay.
  • danareinhart
    danareinhart Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I worked with a trainer for my first few months of lifting. Initially it was to ensure that I was learning proper form, which became important as I started getting into heavier weights with my squat and deadlift. I also appreciated having someone else to be accountable to while I was still developing the habit of exercising regularly.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    No. Back in '07, I signed up for the gym and copied what everyone else was doing. Worked well. And I did ask guys for spots because I was only around 108lb. Had to start benching with like 95lb.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My first experiences lifting were on my own. I did what I thought made sense but never really saw results.

I started doing crossfit back in 2009. It was through crossfit that I was introduced to the barbell. The excellent coaches I had taught me proper form and how to target and correct weaknesses in my movements. I work out on my own now, but I really miss having great trainers:-)
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    No trainer. Lots of YouTube and trial and error.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I purchased 3 sessions with a trainer to go through MY routine and watch my form. Mainly i wanted someone to reassure i was performing squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, front squats, and a few others with proper form.

I also wanted to get some pointers on how not to aggravate my shoulder because of previous injuries. It was well worth it in my opinion. However, i must say i didn't start off with no clue how to do this stuff. I was already working out on my own and i had progressed to the stage that i was ready to start lifting heavier and heavier.

Now, 5 years later i'm a personal trainer myself...
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    No. I had to take lifting classes in high school gym class that focused on proper form.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Nope. I started following the Body for Life program (2001). The basics are pretty easy so long as you start with appropriate weight.

I only wish I had learned the Olympic lifts earlier (snatch, clean and jerk). These are more technical and do require some assistance.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    When I started, there were no videos that were available. I read books and magazines about Arnold and Ferirgno I was lucky enough to be mentored by a few lifters one who happen to be Mr. Universe.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I mostly taught myself with magazines. Oxygen, Muscle and Fitness Hers along with a couple others were my staples. Back in the day Oxygen had forums which were very helpful.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I started before the internet. I learned by reading magazines, along with trial and error. I have learned a lot from my trainer in the last three months though.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i started with a trainer, and many years later I still have a trainer
  • ChaleGirl
    ChaleGirl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I had never done weights, just cardio and baby weights at home. I've always wanted to lift but didn't really try or know where to start so I've booked 10 personal training sessions. I'm doing mainly weights with my trainer and then cardio by myself. After the 10 sessions I will just do weights by myself! I've been loving the personal training sessions as he really shows me what to do. It's much less intimidating with someone!!
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    miss_aims wrote: »
    I'm curious to see what kind of path those of you who lift took. Did you seek a trainer to teach you proper form, etc.? Or did you more or less teach yourself by way of videos, articles, etc.?

I'm looking to get into regular lifting, and I'm planning to seek the guidance of a trainer for at least the first few session to ensure proper form and whatnot. I'm just curious to see what everyone else has done!

No, I did not look for a trainer. I used starting strength and youtubes
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My best result have been with trainers. There's a reason for that.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I started with a trainer for the first month. I had been wanting to learn to lift for about five years but was absolutely too intimidated to try it on my own. It was the only way I could muster the courage to finally take the first step.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    No, I grew up playing sports and whatnot and in high school, lifting was part of the deal and I took weight lifting classes. I've also been in and out of gyms for the better part of my life. I had a good 8 year hiatus though and had to start back with the basics and make sure I had my form down before loading up the plates.

I do work with a trainer now, but for different reasons.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    personally I have access to a free trainer at work - so I used her to check my form and make sure that for any machines I was using that I was setting them up correctly. She helped give me pointers on ways to avoid injuries and how to "escape" lifts that you fail.
    After the initial introduction I did not continue with the trainer - she's in high demand given her services are a perk of my employer but I am forever grateful for the knowledge she shared.