How do i get my mom to let me run?

Options
I want to run. There is a track right down the street from me, with cameras all around it. My mom wont let me go by myself, but she wont go with me either. I live in a small town, where everyone knows everyone so it shouldnt be a problem. She says it isnt safe. What can i do to convince her? i dont have money for a treadmeal either. Im not 10 years old anymore, i know how to defend myself and everything. Any ideas?

Replies

• Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Would she let you go with a friend? See if you have any friends that want to start running with you. And only go when it's daylight.
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Buy pepper spray that goes on a keychain or something you can keep on your while running, and tell her that you'll always have an ID on you when running and you'll always let someone know when you've gone running. This might help her concerns abut your safety
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I could do that, hmmmm, not i just have to think of who i wouldnt be embarassed huffing, puffing and having my fat cells crying in front of.
  • 1smemae94
    Options
    Pepper spray would work. Can i get that at like Walmart or something?
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt that she doesn't want you to exercise or get healthy. Maybe talk to her about her reasons? If you are as old and mature as you are trying to sound than have an adult conversation with her about it.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Get a big dog:wink: I walk or run alone sometimes and I feel much safer if I have one of my dogs with me, as well as my phone.
  • mollymoo89
    mollymoo89 Posts: 202
    Options
    Would she let you go with a friend? See if you have any friends that want to start running with you. And only go when it's daylight.

I agree with her! Also, tell your mom when your going, how long you'll be there, and when you'll be back. That should help with some of her anxiety and worries about you going running. When I run on campus, I always make sure someone knows where I am going. Good luck!
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Your mom might be aware of an incident that she doesn't want you to know about, either at the track, in your town, or in her life. She is concerned for a reason. Try to convince her to go with you, to watch, or ask a few friends to go with you. Cyclling is a good alternative too. And, if you live in a small town, you can ride your bike around town.
  • 1smemae94
    Options
    I highly doubt that she doesn't want you to exercise or get healthy. Maybe talk to her about her reasons? If you are as old and mature as you are trying to sound than have an adult conversation with her about it.

I have talked to her about it, she just says it isnt safe. Then when i ask her why it isnt she says " it just isnt"
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    The dog idea is good. Do you have any neighbors who would let you walk their dog? Grab a friend who maybe just wants to lay in the sun and read a book. They are at least there with you.
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    It's not the same, but while you work on a compromise with your mom, maybe try jogging in place at home, at a decent intensity. :flowerforyou:
  • bp1984
    bp1984 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Why not go to your high school. even though its summer there are plenty of athletics going on during the day time hours use that time to run and if you shy about it who cares your goin to look better when school starts anyways right?
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I was really stubborn. I went anyway. But I did make concessions. I made sure I didn't go when it was dark. I told her the time I would be home and where I would be and I went. If you can, find a running buddy. Good luck with the battle.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    According to your profile, you're 18. That makes you a legal adult and your mom can't make you do or not do anything. I understand that pressure parents put on us can be difficult to deal with, but you need to redefine your relationship with your mother so that she stops treating you like a pre-pubescent child and starts respecting you as an adult that can make informed and safe decisions for yourself. Your mom may complain and 'forbid' you from going, but you have legs that operate and a key to the house, right? Just go.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I know you said she wouldn't go with you...is that to run or just in general? Would she be willing to go but maybe read a book or something? My sister used to run alone through the woods and my mom didn't like it. My sister always took her phone, pepper spray and my mom knew the route she was taking and about how long she'd be gone. If she went over that time, mom would go look.

They also have stands for bikes that you can hook yours up to in order to ride without going anywhere...turns a regular bike into a stationary one. If I remember correctly those aren't very expensive and something you could do at home without actually buying equipment.

Is your mom open to any compromise? Maybe a cheap gym membership (if there is one) and you both pay half?

I understand the feeling of parents being overprotective. I am 28, married and live in Montana. My mom lives in Phoenix. I belong to a 24hr gym and I go everyday. However, if i speak with her before I go and I am going without my husband, she STILL makes me call or send her a text message when I leave and if I take longer than normal, she'll call. I'm not sure exactly what she thinks she'll do from across the country but I am the baby...
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Say 'Please'?

If that doesn't work, try holding your breath while stomping your feet.

Do you have a younger brother? You could always tell mother you saw him with girly magazines. You should be able to squeeze your run in while she is beating him.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    You could always tell mother you saw him with girly magazines. You should be able to squeeze your run in while she is beating him.

*drops knitting*
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Reason probably won't work, but you could point out that she's choosing a definite harm (health risks due to lack of exercise) over an unlikely harm (attack while running on the track).
  • 1smemae94
    Options
    Say 'Please'?

If that doesn't work, try holding your breath while stomping your feet.

Do you have a younger brother? You could always tell mother you saw him with girly magazines. You should be able to squeeze your run in while she is beating him.

That just made my day :D