Options

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Discipline. I set the alarm for 5 am and get up to shut it off then go to the gym. A year later and I'm now finding it harder to sleep in on weekends. The time change does screw with me for a while though.
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I honestly think some people are just "morning people". It is naturally easier for them. I get up at 5:00 AM 3 times a week no problem. But I also never stay up past 10:00 PM. I think getting on a regular sleep pattern helps.
  • jfp420
    jfp420 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have my alarm in the kitchen so thar I have to get up and walk across the house to shut it off. Once I'm out of bed the hardest part is over!
  • Katerbels
    Katerbels Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person, at all, but I actually didn't mind waking up at 5:30 to go to the gym. The first few days were tough, I almost had my husband call to wake me up at first but I was determined, and it really wasn't that bad! I think you need to be completely dedicated to it, and rip off the band-aid. I only stopped because I had to start being to work earlier and got out of my routine.
  • Renzi27
    Renzi27 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    These are great motivators! Seems like the general consensus is that the snooze is not your friend. I'm looking forward to kicking that habit and making morning workouts a new routine.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    There was a period of 6 months where I had to train at 5 am 2 days a week due to life circumstances. I am incredibly focused and dedicated, but I still had a 15 minute internal debate every. single. time. between snoozes in order to get there. My only solution was to set my alarm early enough to have the debate. I go to bed early, have decent nutrition blah blah blah. It's just hard for some of us, but um character building or something. Good luck!
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    I don't eat after 5pm, so I'm hungry in the morning.
    Or drink a cup or two of water before bed, that has me up every two hours.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Over the last 5 years, I've typically trained 5 or 6 days per week in the mornings. I pack my gym bag and pick my out work clothes the night before to save time, but the big key for me is getting to bed early enough. The payoff is that I leave the gym or pool feeling great after my workout.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Like others, I sleep in as much workout clothes as I can. I work out at home, so sometimes I tell myself that I will just do half the workout and go back to bed for another 30 minutes if I want to. Of course, once I get halfway through the workout I'm awake and want to finish so I never actually do it. But just knowing it's a possibility sometimes gets my 4:45 self out of bed.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    For me, it's all about the 5 p's: Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance. I meal prep over the weekend, lay out my workout clothes and work clothes the night before, have my pre-workout made the night before and go to bed at a reasonable hour. Workjng out in the AM is great - no crowds and nothing to derail your efforts (i.e. Working late, traffic jam, etc.). I get up at 4am and am at the gym about 10 mins before they open at 5am.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Like another poster said, you just have to do it, and you have to WANT to do it. Unfortunately there's no secret formula. Lol.

It was hard the first couple of weeks. I only set one alarm. It helps that I set out my workout clothes, and had my water, phone, etc. ready. I work out at home but I get ready like I'm going to the gym. If you have to, go to bed in your gym clothes. One less thing to worry about. I have to do the whole self-talk thing to tell myself there's no other time to do it and if I don't I'll REGRET it. It's happened enough times that I know how that regret feels, and that has become a big enough motivation for me now.

Once you have a routine down, it'll become part of your everyday schedule.
  • vjrozmia
    vjrozmia Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think if you get enough sleep, it's not so bad to wake up early to exercise. I know I need 8 hours of sleep to feel well rested, so I get to sleep by 9:30 in order to be up by 5:30 in the morning.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Rage_Phish wrote: »
    i jsut do it. set alarm, get out of bed, go to gym

This. I get up at 4:30am Monday - Friday and even after 3 years, every single morning, I have to tell myself, "put your feet on the floor. Just stand up."

I'm not especially a morning person and I love to sleep as much as the next person. But I know that mornings are the only time I have - before the kids and husband wake up and I'm dragged in 10 different directions.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    It was hard for me to get into a routine at first but now I love it. In the evening I set my workout gear out, pack my gym bag, set up the coffee pot and a small snack, and have everything ready to throw my protein shake together (that's my breakfast for the car on the way to work).

I set my alarm for 4:30, get dressed, down my coffee/snack, make my shake, and get to the gym around 5:45. It's rough starting a new routine, but honestly now I feel screwed up on rest days when I'm home in the morning.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Another vote for having the alarm clock across the room and not using the snooze button. And going to bed at a time that gives you enough time to sleep before said alarm goes off.
  • saramickeydee
    saramickeydee Posts: 115 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm still working on building this habit so I'm probably riding the gung-ho high at the moment, BUT I lay out my clothes and coffee and banana and peanut butter the night before. Sometimes I even put toothpaste on the brush. I set my phone alarm and put it across the room. I also try to get to bed early. ( I failed that tonight.)
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I've been trying for years and never managed it. I have no problem getting up in the mornings at 6am and am usually awake before the alarm but don't have motivation to do anything in the morning, I just want to be left alone until 8-9am
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    like others have said, get everything sorted the night before, don't hit the snooze button.

by the time I am actually awake, the workout is halfway through and I'm a mile or so away from home. This morning the sun was out, I was under the Clifton Suspension bridge at 6.30 and only the blackbirds were around pulling up worms. THAT is enough to make me feel like the rest of the day will be glorious.

I only do activities where I don't have to talk to people though. That would be a step too far that early. Early mornings are private and for me to enjoy life.
  • lizzy_satellite
    lizzy_satellite Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have to get myself to bed by 11.30 pm or getting out of bed at 6.15 will not happen. Workout clothes and work clothes are laid out the night before I also have two different and equally annoying alarms that start going off at 6.