As a Mommy, will I ever have a flat belly again????

Options
So, my son is 7. I am almost 26 and I only need to lose like 20 lbs. But I have a lot of core work and toning to do. I was just wondering, aside from keeping stretchmarks forever, has anyone out there gotten their flat belly back? Does the skin eventually tighten and tone up too?

Replies

• EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    bump! i have the same problem. i'd like to know what other people have to say! i have about 26 more lbs. to go!
  • TakuraHunt
    TakuraHunt Posts: 208
    Options
    I would love to know the answer to this question too... :wink:
  • binkybaby1
    binkybaby1 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    There's a saying, "Abs are made in the kitchen." When you lose weight, you don't have control over where the fat comes off. You can tone and exercise, but the key is nutrition for losing belly flab. Have you done any weight training? That can help build your muscle, too. Some people have a tendency to maintain weight in their midsection (Im one).

There's something called the Flat Belly Diet. Also, the Abs Diet. Theyr'e really not "diets" as much as eating plans for better abs.
  • Shawna0101
    Shawna0101 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Not if you have excess loose skin, I know my stomach will never be flat again without a tummy tuck.
  • hgellings
    hgellings Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I don't think us Mommy's will ever have the flat sexy tummys we use to before having kids. I do think that we can get toned and look good in that area, but my guess is that there will always be the extra skin. :)
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I have two kids, both c-section babies (one 8.5lbs the other nearly 8) :wink:
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your body type. When I lose weight my stomach goes back to flat as a pancake. But with each of my children my but got bigger and it was big to begin with. And I lost all my pregnancy weight after my first child.
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I'm close to having a nice tummy again, maybe another month or so and I think I'll be ready to wear a bikini again post pics, and I have 4 kids. I think it can be done, it just takes a lot of work.
  • hgellings
    hgellings Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have two kids, both c-section babies (one 8.5lbs the other nearly 8) :wink:

Awesome! I hope my tummy looks like yours again someday :bigsmile:
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately for some people lotion does not prevent. That is a myth. For some its heredity, your skin just doesnt stretch well. The smaller ones seem to go away and the bigger ones wont go but can appear faded after a while.
    I don't have a child, but I have many friends who have had children. Most likely, you will not have a flat stomach. NOT because of excess fat that is hard to get rid of, but mainly because of the extra skin. With pregnancy, that skin gets stretched out (use lotion to help prevent stretch marks!) and when you're not pregnant, it can only shrink back to an extent. That's not your fault, cuz it isn't like fat or anything, just a lot of skin.
  • jstud76
    jstud76 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I spoke to my OBGYN she says it is somewhat possible, but would take a TON of work. She says that the vertical muscles over your abdomen actually get pushed apart when your stomach is stretched out. They rarely knit back together, also depending on the amount of weight you lost, most times skin will not tighten back up.
  • ritafay2011
    Options
    yes!!!!! I had four children and i worked out alot with my stomach..the best trick was to get on the floor and make out like you are riding a bike......I lost all control after 30 ..whew!!!!!! I am paying for it now...Don't let yourself go like i did ...good luck!!!!!!!
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I had my first baby at 19. I got my flat belly back.

I gained a bunch of weight when I was around 22 (probably 60-70 pounds) and lost it when I was about 24. I got my flat belly back.

I gained weight again around age 27 and topped out around 90 pounds overweight (not counting pregnancy weights) at 36 and had two more babies (one at 32 and one at 36). I'm only 15 pounds away from my goal weight and I will not get my flat belly back this time :-(

You are still young, so you may bet lucky!

I may not get my flat tummy back, but I'm pretty sure that when I'd done, it will be at least acceptable. I mean, I am nearly 40 - I'm not supposed to have a 20-year old body anymore -- that's me trying to make myself feel better :-)

edited to add: It really depends on what's there IMO. If it's loose skin, it's probably not going away. If it's fat and flab, you can probably get rid of most or all of it with hard work. For me - it's loose skin - that may get slightly better, but I'm quite certain it will not go away completely. But for me, it's not that bad and I can live with it.
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    Yes...it is possible with hard work and perseverance. I have two kids (one when I was 21 the other 25) and my belly is flat. Don't give up!! Yes, you may get stretch marks, but they fade and the skin does tighten back up depending on genetics, but because you are having your child at a younger age you have more keratin which will work to your advantage.