What is a good substitute for carbs?

Options
Help! My down fall is carbs and I need some suggestions for a good substitute ?

:)

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    what's wrong with carbs?

if you're eating less carbs, your substitute would be more fat and protein.
  • lauraeidann
    lauraeidann Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just noticed looking at the nutrition section that I was well over my carbs "allowance" but everything else was fine so was just looking for some substitutes to reduce my carb intake while still eating a balanced meal :)
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i usually almost always go over my carb and fat suggested numbers
  • Courtney_M_Mora
    Courtney_M_Mora Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You can do zucchini noodles, mashed cauliflower, light bread like aunt millies 35 calorie slice potato bread is good for bread cravings. It's so light and airy too. Instead of doing tacos you can make taco salad or lettuce wrap tacos (use a romaine or green leaf lettuce leaf as the shell).

Sandwiches can be done open face to save some carbs.

I would concentrate on substituting most bread for bananas and veggies. Though beans and brown rice (any whole grain) are important if you take most refined grains out of your diet.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Well,.carbs, fat, and protein are the three macronutrients. If you want to cut one down and keep your calories the same, then you need to include foods with more fat or protein.

"Carbs" is a really broad category that includes veggies, fruits, starches, sugars, etc. So it's tough to suggest even swaps without more details.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Everything else can't be fine if you are over on carbs - protein, fat and carbs make up the total calories you are supposed to eat every day. The only thing you have to do to lose weight, is to take in the right amount of calories. The macros are a suggestion, as fishshark said. You can even adjust them yourself. You don't have to do anything special to balance your meals; if the way you eat now is natural for you, it's balanced. But you could eat more of the foods that are high in protein and/or fat. Is that difficult? Do you eat meat? Do you have any allergies?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way. You are low on your protein and fats. Substitute a portion of your meal with a food with these two and your macros will balance out the way you want it to. Nuts and cheese are dense sources of protein and fat.
  • JenJen785
    JenJen785 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey babe. It all depends on what you mean by carbs. If you mean breads, potato, rice, pasta try substituting bread for rhy wraps, potato for seet potato, rice and pasta for quinoa.
    I usally snack on nuts pistachios are my fav, the ones you have to peel your self though. Theres a few charts on pintrest if you have that app on what your cravings are. Ill see if I can post it for you xx hope it helps a little.
  • JenJen785
    JenJen785 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    http://pin.it/FD9TPOK
    Heres the pintrest link to the cravings chart.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If you are looking to replace carbs, most people seem to do it with fats. There is no minimum carb intake so you can cut it as much as you want.

If you are just looking for healthier carbs, I would cut foods with added sugars, baked goods and foods made from grains, and cut back on starchy veggies and high sugar fruits - in that order.

For a sugar substitute I use stevia. For baked goods, grab a pepperoni stick or eggs... It really depends on how far you want to go.
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Help! My down fall is carbs and I need some suggestions for a good substitute ?

:)

I like fruit, or whole grains. Cuz fibre.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How does the rest of your diet look?