New to Marathon running ( Well lets try a half first )

Options
Well its something I've always dreamed of, running the New York marathon!! but I will start small as I am under no illusions marathon running is tough, I have signed up for the Brighton half marathon Feb 2017 and I cant even run down the street ... But I'm determined, looking to hear from runners to hopefully get some hints and tips on training !!!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    C25k if you can't currently run.

I am doing my first half in 2 weeks after running consistently for just under a year (including 2 months injured).

Good luck!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @Jokingonamission Not sure what guidance / coaching or plan you are using. I would Suggest a C25K ( Couch to 5 km) as a starterand them move up to the B10K ( Bridge to 10 km ).

There are lots of Smartphone Apps that will take you through a Run-Walk-Run cycle to slowly build your distance and prevent injury.

There is a Running Related page and C25K Group on MFP.
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    So awesome! Half marathons are so much fun. I am probably a case of 'what not to do', but in the end it ended up working or me. I did my first half marathon (well, my first in the past 10 years) in March. I was so out of shape and my training was way too hurried. In the end, I did successfully complete the distance within in the allotted time, I even beat two of my (skinnier) teammates, but I did walk at least half of the distance. When I came home I was SO pumped up (and in better shape than when I started), that I immediately started training for my next half (Hamburg Germany in June). This time, my goal is going to be to run the whole half marathon without walking. I'm following my half marathon training schedule, and it's working, but I definitely needed that first half marathon to get me started. I have never done the C25K, but I hear it's a good place to start. My tips would be....pace yourself. When it comes to beginning running, slow and steady really does win the race. Many (like me) make the mistake of trying to do too much too fast and they end up sick and/or injured. Also, eat back most of your workout calories. Your body will give you back so much more if you do. Don't ignore rest days. I know this might sound nuts now, but you will probably reach a point where you are so one fire that rest days will drive you a little stir crazy. Just remind yourself that your body will perform better when it's had the proper chance to rest and rebuild. And as far as getting started? It's ok to run/walk. My first few runs, I was only able to run maybe 10%, but within weeks that quickly went up to 25%, then 50%, and now almost 5 months after I started with my training, I am able to run 8 miles at 100%. Last thing. Don't worry about speed. Work on endurance and distance. The speed you can work on later, and chances are, the longer you train, the speed with come along on it's own. Please feel free to add me if you would like a running friend!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ... I have signed up for the Brighton half marathon Feb 2017 and I cant even run down the street ...

So given that time you're able to use Couch to 5K, which is 8-9 weeks long, Bridge to 10K which is another 6 weeks and then moving up to HM would take about another 8-10 weeks.

What I'd suggest is getting offroad as much as you can, which will make the flat course of Brighton easier.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for shoes at a specialty running store. Start slow. Build distance first. Speed later. Include walking breaks if you need em. Overtime, decrease walking intervals and increase running intervals. Feel free to add me if you need any tips, info. I've been distance running since '08. Dozens of races.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    i would get your shoes from a running store.
    they should do a gait analysis and help fit a shoe for your stride and feet

i start with the b210k which includes c25k. it helps tremendously.
    lastly, go slow. very slow. take rest days. ask for help. join a local running group if that's your thing. look at the c25k or b210k groups here.

and have fun. :)
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have been running for about 5 years with lots of halfs in there. Next week I am going to start a new running adventure which is HR training. Basically the goal is to keep the HR under 140 for most of the runs and then add bits of speed and hills here and there. Goal is the finally build a good aerobic base to prevent injury and burn out. Might be something for you to look at.
  • Jokingonamission
    Jokingonamission Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi All - absolutely brilliant advice from you all, thank you so much, I've tried to reply to all the messages but I'm not sure how so hopefully you will see this, seems the C25K is the way too start, I'm nervous but Im also determined and determination has got to win ??? right, ha ha xx
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Hi All - absolutely brilliant advice from you all, thank you so much, I've tried to reply to all the messages but I'm not sure how so hopefully you will see this, seems the C25K is the way too start, I'm nervous but Im also determined and determination has got to win ??? right, ha ha xx

Yes, as long as you listen to your body. If it needs a break, give it one. Injuries are a *kitten* (trust me, I know this :blush: )

Good luck.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Once you're ready for a marathon, you might want to consider marathons outside of the NY marathon because the lottery is pretty tough to get into, unless you're willing to run through a charity or can qualify through running other NYRR races. I've been denied entry for the past 5 years.

For the half, once you get closer to the race date, find a training plan that fits your current ability. If you're only running 3 times per week you shouldn't pick a plan that starts with 6 days per week of running. If you miss some days it's really not that big of a deal. I slipped on ice a month before my first half and couldn't run for 3 weeks, but I still finished a 3 minutes over my goal time and felt great the whole time.

You should sign up for at least 1 race before the half so you can see what a race is like and also so you can practice not going out to hard in the beginning of the race due to the pre-race and start excitement. If your half is a big race don't be surprised if the bathroom lines are 20+ min long before the start. I don't find that it's necessary to eat or drinking anything besides water during a half, but if you decide you want to make sure you try it out before the race so you don't have any GI issues. If you haven't had Gatorade during your runs don't drink Gatorade from the aid stations during the race.

You should do some basic strength training a couple of times per week to prevent muscle imbalances and injuries. MYRTL is a quick routine you can do after your runs.
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am going to piggy back off the above comment. Find a 5k and a 10 k that fits your training plan and sign up for them. February seems like a long time away and these mini goals will keep you motivated during your training. Also, race experience is important and you will be glad you have it going into your big race.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Once you're ready for a marathon, you might want to consider marathons outside of the NY marathon because the lottery is pretty tough to get into, unless you're willing to run through a charity or can qualify through running other NYRR races. I've been denied entry for the past 5 years.

Given location, there are a number of good local Marathons in SE England. Steyning Stinger is worth a look, crossing the South Downs twice :) There's one on the North Downs as well.

I was watching the highlights from London yesterday evening and it looked grim. Crowds at 12 miles that looked like the start line of the races I do.

• nicolemarie999
    nicolemarie999 Posts: 91 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Long slow warm ups, lots of stretching after your run and some basic strength/ core training will help to keep you injury free.
    Are you going to try a 10 k race at some point while your training ?