Options

Replies

• Labyrinthine93
    Labyrinthine93 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    WakkoW wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    maxit wrote: »
    The doctor even commented saying " why would you have written down your weight as so much lower than the scale said?"

That's the part that would bother me, OP, as it sounds judgmental.

But where is she even writing this? If the nurse wrote it in her chart, did she take the chart and change it? For a couple lbs? Seems like there is information missing here...

When you fill out paperwork you have to give your weight. So, probably a new patient or updating their information.

I've never been asked to write down my weight during a visit. What is the point when they will be weighing me? Do you get a discount if you guess to the exact 1/10 of a pound?

I weighed in at 139.9 pounds this morning. I'm sure glad it wasn't a humiliating 140.

-shrugs- It's always in the paperwork when I went to see a new doctor or they needed to update their records. I don't think they really pay attention to it, it's just there.
  • PurpleOrchid531
    PurpleOrchid531 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I work at a hospital and what the physicians worry about are large trends in a short amount of time, depending on your comorbidities of course (not as alarming if you don't have any). For example, a 20lb weight loss in a couple of months when you're not exercising or trying to lose weight - going to raise some red flags. A 10lb gain a week in someone with CHF - red flags.

I always take my shoes off when I weight in at the doctor's office but it's still more than what I weigh at home. It's annoying but it is what it is.
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Funny I should see this today and I was thinking about the same thing since it was my day for my yearly checkup. With my shoes, clothes and all the stuff in my pocket on I weighed 11 pounds more than I did at home. It bothered me that that would be what's recorded, but didn't think it really mattered because I knew what the reality was. I surmised that they allow a certain amount for clothing etc.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Mountain/molehill. When I started MFP, I used my starting weight as indicated by the scales in our warehouse. I used the same scale throughout my program. I've been maintaining since 2011, and still use that scale. Obviously, I am wearing clothing every time. Sometimes, I've just used the 'necessary room,' sometimes not. Sometimes I have $2 in change in my pocket, sometimes none. Sometimes, I have my keys in my pocket, sometimes I don't.
    It's all going to average out in the end.
    Who cares what you weigh naked? How often are you nude while walking down the street?
    Assuming you're not a naturist or nudist, your feet and legs carry the weight of the clothing all day long.
    Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,064 Member
    Options
    Of course the Dr's scale is going to show a higher weight if you've eaten, had something to drink and are wearing clothes.

Food has weight ... water has weight ... clothes have weight.

Try this experiment at home.

Get up in the morning, use the toilet, and then weigh yourself.
    Now go drink 500 ml of water.
    Now weigh yourself again. Chances are you'll be 0.5 kg heavier than you were just before you drank the water.

If you want to show a lower number on the Dr's scale, book your appointment for first thing in the morning ... don't eat or drink anything before you go ... wear the lightest little clothes you've got ...
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Next time, tell the staff member that you are not getting weighed today. (Problem solved.) :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If you are going to the doctor's office because you're sick, please consider that perhaps the reason you're also getting weighed is so that any medication prescribed will be dose appropriate for your weight.

Which is not something the doctor should take a patient's word for.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,064 Member
    Options
    If you are going to the doctor's office because you're sick, please consider that perhaps the reason you're also getting weighed is so that any medication prescribed will be dose appropriate for your weight.

Absolutely!

There is one medication I have to take when I fly that is based on my weight. Before each flying trip I have to go in, get weighed, and get a new prescription based on the weight I am at that time.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    maxit wrote: »
    The doctor even commented saying " why would you have written down your weight as so much lower than the scale said?"

That's the part that would bother me, OP, as it sounds judgmental.

But where is she even writing this? If the nurse wrote it in her chart, did she take the chart and change it? For a couple lbs? Seems like there is information missing here...

When you fill out paperwork you have to give your weight. So, probably a new patient or updating their information.

? They've never asked my weight on new patient paperwork. Nor my blood pressure, fasting blood glucose, or cholesterol levels either - they will measure all that themselves.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

I'm on an iv drug I get every 6 weeks and I have to get weighed each time to ensure I get the right dose
  • Big_YEET
    Big_YEET Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Personally, each pound I lose feels like it takes SO much effort and dedication to shed.. Even 5 pounds is a huge deal to me. So if I were to see all the weight I worked hard to drop being added back onto a chart by a doctor I'd feel pretty frustrated and defeated. Even though I know logically that it's not my true weight, the doctor is just doing their job and it shouldn't bother me, it does. I admit that I may have some issues though.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Next time, tell the staff member that you are not getting weighed today. (Problem solved.) :)

If I was the staff member I would say you are not being seen today in that case.

The doctor wants to be able to note any drastic changes in weight since the last visit to make sure no issues. Also, if you end up needed a prescription many are dosed based on weight
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,001 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I recently was weighed at the doctors and it made me think about some things. My home scale is calibrated every time
    Before I use it and so I know it is correct ( within a lb). When I use it I weigh naked and in the morning. After just breakfast my weight is up 3 lbs and my clothes have never weighed less than 2lb when I experimented weighing before and after getting dressed. This is 5 lb of weight that is not even me... My weight always is back to normal or less in the morning. At the doctors their " just calibrated scale" showed this 5 lb difference and the nurse didn't hesitate to write it down without even considering all the clothes and food in my stomach. This doesn't seem accurate to weigh patients this way. Why do doctors even do it? Most people including me are very honest and would be happy to tell them what # the scale actually said that morning. I weigh myself morning and night ( for tracking purposes) and so I know my weight is more accurate than theirs, but they need to write down something. It's just really humiliating to be told I weigh 140 when I really know I'm 135. The doctor even commented saying " why would you have written down your weight as so much lower than the scale said?" .. First off, five pounds is not a lot especially for an athlete like me who eats a huge breakfast and I drink a gallon of water every morning I run ( which alone weighs 8 lbs). She's not considering I did weigh myself but before I ate my huge breakfast and frank half a gallon of water and then put on 2 lb of clothes ? Anyone else know this frustration? Do you ever comment back or do you keep your mouth shut like I did? I knew I was right so I didn't feel the need to argue with someone so clueless.

I didn't feel humiliated when the scale at my doctor said 240 and don't understand why you have an issue with 140.

The doctor's office knows you weigh more after eating and dressing. Plus, it's 140 vs 135. I'm concerned that you have so much self-esteem wrapped up in these five pounds.

And that's what I thought the doctor's question ("why would you have written down your weight as so much lower than the scale said?") was probably getting at. "Why does it matter so much to this patient that she's objecting to and trying to correct the scale reading here in the office? Does this patient have unhealthy body image or eating issues? I'm her doctor; I need to try to figure out what's going on with her."
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Tuffaknee wrote: »
    Personally, each pound I lose feels like it takes SO much effort and dedication to shed.. Even 5 pounds is a huge deal to me. So if I were to see all the weight I worked hard to drop being added back onto a chart by a doctor I'd feel pretty frustrated and defeated. Even though I know logically that it's not my true weight, the doctor is just doing their job and it shouldn't bother me, it does. I admit that I may have some issues though.

Yes, if your self esteem and self worth are so closely tied to your weight that a 5 lb discrepancy can put you into a tailspin, perhaps it's time to seek some professional help with this. :)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Clothes, shoes and eating can easily be a 5 lbs difference from weighing naked and pre eating
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I don't think it really matters on their end if they include your clothes. 5lbs doesn't really make a difference. All they want to see is if you're in a healthy weight range and if there are any crazy fluctuations in your weight. Like you go in one month and next month are down or up an unreasonable amount. That way they can find out what caused such a huge weight difference. So to them counting your clothes doesn't really make much of a difference.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other commenters that it is no big deal. Every time I go to the doctor, I expect my weight on their scale to be higher because different scales are calibrated differently, clothes, and food. I expect a greater discrepancy during the winter since I will be wearing more clothing, heavier clothes, and heavier shoes.

As to why they don't just ask patients their weight, I think many people would lie. I know several people who get anxiety about their weight at the doctor's office because it feels real when they have to face a doctor who may express concern. If those people were just asked their weight instead weighed in the office, some would probably be truthful but I know others wouldn't.

Also, not everyone has a scale at home or uses one. I have two bathrooms in my house. The master bathroom is too small for my scale so I keep it in the front bathroom, which is also the one guests use. Apparently almost every friend or family member who visits steps on the scale while in the bathroom. They come out and grumpily and sarcastically say "Thanks for the scale in the bathroom! I really needed to see that. I can't believe I have gained that much!" (I don't require guests weigh themselves to use my bathroom but they sure act like it.) It's always the middle or end of the day and they probably stayed clothed, but they all then tell me they haven't stepped on a scale in months or years. So some people really have no idea how much they weigh and may unknowingly give a significantly incorrect number if asked, which as others have pointed out, could be really important for medication dosage.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    5 lbs is nothing in the grand scheme of things. It has zero bearing on your health, so the doctor doesn't need your exact weight to the gram.

The doctor probably commented on you changing your weight because that indicates an unhealthy mindset. I would be concerned too if someone needed to point out that their weight is actually "x" when it's an insignificant difference.