Weight loss during PhD program

Options
Jenzy66
Jenzy66 Posts: 6 Member
Is anyone in here working on losing weight while also writing their dissertation for PhD?

Replies

• DreamFi
    DreamFi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose weight and live a healthier lifestyle while studying for my doctorate
  • amywhitbread
    amywhitbread Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm also trying to lose weight whilst carrying out my PhD, but I'm not writing my thesis yet .. My bachelors and masters dissertations are the reason I want to lose weight in the first place.
  • doomlizard
    doomlizard Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Weirdly, I was probably healthiest when programming and writing lab reports for my undergrad dissertation. Strategic snack planning is a must (for example, if I was going to spend a day in the lab, I would pack small boxes/bags of pre-calorie-counted snacks to munch to stop myself going to the shop across from my building) - dried fruit and nuts work well, as you don't have to worry about them going squishy in the bottom of your bag!

The hike to my favourite coffee shop was also pretty helpful - half a mile uphill from campus/my flat to the best coffee in the city, with all the free WiFi you can use! I don't really like flavoured syrup etc in coffee, so that was actually quite good for me calorie-wise.

So my three key points would be:
    1. Snack preparation. Set aside 15 mins in an evening to pre-pack snacks (nuts and seeds, dried fruit, etc, are pretty reasonably-priced if you know where to get them or buy in bulk. I also got some small plastic pots for this purpose from a 'cheap shop', check PoundLand or The Dollar Store or your regional equivalent!)
    2. Find somewhere you can study, that requires you to walk to get there. Coffee shops, libraries, and local parks (if you live somewhere with nice weather) are all good options. The walk will also help relieve study tension and clear your head.
    3. If you can, break for a few minutes in every hour to stretch out your neck and shoulders, grab a glass of water and eat if you need to. Set yourself definite meal times and stick to them - even half an hour is good! And, if you can, get out of wherever you're studying for your meal. Eating at your desk only adds to study-stress, in my experience.

I'd follow my own good advice, if I weren't currently freelancing from my sofa in the middle of nowhere... Seriously, take advantage of the campus structure - libraries and the walks between them are your friends!
  • cesser1
    cesser1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    doomlizard wrote: »
    Weirdly, I was probably healthiest when programming and writing lab reports for my undergrad dissertation. Strategic snack planning is a must (for example, if I was going to spend a day in the lab, I would pack small boxes/bags of pre-calorie-counted snacks to munch to stop myself going to the shop across from my building) - dried fruit and nuts work well, as you don't have to worry about them going squishy in the bottom of your bag!

The hike to my favourite coffee shop was also pretty helpful - half a mile uphill from campus/my flat to the best coffee in the city, with all the free WiFi you can use! I don't really like flavoured syrup etc in coffee, so that was actually quite good for me calorie-wise.

So my three key points would be:
    1. Snack preparation. Set aside 15 mins in an evening to pre-pack snacks (nuts and seeds, dried fruit, etc, are pretty reasonably-priced if you know where to get them or buy in bulk. I also got some small plastic pots for this purpose from a 'cheap shop', check PoundLand or The Dollar Store or your regional equivalent!)
    2. Find somewhere you can study, that requires you to walk to get there. Coffee shops, libraries, and local parks (if you live somewhere with nice weather) are all good options. The walk will also help relieve study tension and clear your head.
    3. If you can, break for a few minutes in every hour to stretch out your neck and shoulders, grab a glass of water and eat if you need to. Set yourself definite meal times and mystick to them - even half an hour is good! And, if you can, get out of wherever you're studying for your meal. Eating at your desk only adds to study-stress, in my experience.

I'd follow my own good advice, if I weren't currently freelancing from my sofa in the middle of nowhere... Seriously, take advantage of the campus structure - libraries and the walks between them are your friends!

Really good advice. I am past PhD and am most likely to lose weight in the summer when I can make up my own schedule. Marking season is the worst. I think some form of regularity is most vital for both PhD and dieting. Find a really nice coffee place and walk there. Or get yourself a bike. That was perfect for Urbana-Champaign, IL campus. Make meal planning a procrastination substitute during research stints. It'll give you much needed breaks, something nice hands-on to do and think about, and the opportunity to sit back down with a feeling of having achieved something already.
  • Jenzy66
    Options
    Thanks all for your great ideas!! They all make sense. I'll be finding my rhythm....
    I also work and have seven children...so... I mean life is really chaotic.
    But I am getting the degree done and my work is more of the same.

Kids are 29, 27, 25, 22, 20, 18, and 13. Hubby is wonderful person.

Easing in w/ the food... I was too hungry and binged this evening already. But... its good to see that pattern and move away from that.

• SpiderGwens
    SpiderGwens Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Currently working towards my doctorate in history - 18th century France. I'm not writing my dissertation yet, but I'm finishing up my last semester of coursework and prepping for prelims. I'm taking my 2nd writing seminar this semester and I like to consider myself an expert on binge eating during writing! (maybe I should change my dissertation topic :D )

Anyway, I've managed to drop 20 pounds this semester and I haven't had any problems binging (yet - it's finals week, so anything can happen).

Here's what's been working for me:

1. PROTEIN. I try to hit the recommended goal set by MFP. It fills me up, and I'm less tempted to snack.
    2. Make time to cook. I know it's tough, but eating healthier is more important than finding that one extra source or writing that one extra page.
    3. Make time to exercise. Again, I know time is limited, but since I started prioritizing exercise and eating over my coursework/TA duties, I've found that I actually have more energy and am 100x more productive than I was before.
    4. Stick to a bedtime. I find that I need to stop working by 11 and be in bed by 12 to keep myself on track. If work doesn't get done, it doesn't get done. It will be there tomorrow.

Grad students aren't robots and academia isn't more important than your health. I wish I had known that when I started my program, but at least now I can make it through comps without wanting to die.

Good luck, and feel free to friend me if you'd like! Solidarity. :)
  • Jenzy66
    Options
    Hi - thanks for writing... I like all your ideas.... new mantra: sleep, eat well, walk, write.