Pregnant with GD

Options
Hey all,

I have been recently diagnosed with gestational diabetes as I approached my third trimester. I decreased my carb and fat intake for maintenance of the GD but suspected that I was now undereating... and was right. So I'm using MFP as a guide to keep my carbs and fats low but ensure that my caloric intake stay up enough.

It's a long stretch as I'm sure there aren't many pregnant women on here but is there anyone here in the same boat?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I had it when I had my first. Have you talked with a dietitian?
  • kcrkcs
    kcrkcs Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I also had GD, 3 mos PP now. I found that having a reasonable amount of fat actually helped my body process the carbs better and helped keep my numbers in the right range. I still ended up needing meds (metformin) to control my numbers as i got later in pregnancy even though my diet was spot on. The worst part was craving fruit super intensely, and I just couldn't make it work. It was super frustrating to have the GD especially as I was actually thinner than my pre preg weight for most of my pregnancy (thanks morning sickness). In the end it was all so worth it. Good luck with everything!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    When you decrease carbs, you increase fats and oils: <3
    butter, avocado, hummus, bacon, mayonnaise, yogurt, eggs, dark meat chick, sausage, chia seeds, olive oil, almonds, olives,
  • RoteBook
    RoteBook Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I had GD with both my babies. The biggest thing that really helped me was a 10 minute walk after each meal.

Your doc should give you a referral to a dietitian who can help you figure out what foods work best for you. Some of my favorite bedtime snacks were Greek yogurt with frozen blueberries and toast with cheese. Each counted as 1 carb serving, which is what I was aiming for at bedtime.

My most challenging bg times were always morning fasting and post breakfast. Keeping bedtime snack and breakfast each to 1 serving of carbs helped, along with walking. I was able to have up to 3 servings of carbs (so up to 45 grams) with lunch and dinner and still keep those numbers in line. But you'll have to see what works best and is most challenging for you.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I had GD when I was pregnant with my first son and it sucked!!! I couldn't eat everything I wanted while pregnant. Good luck to you though. Keep in mind if diabetes run in your family it is important to keep your weight down. I just got diagnosed as pre-diabetic. :/
  • RoteBook
    RoteBook Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add-yes, having GD is a risk factor for developing type 2 diabetes later, but you can also look at it as an early warning that can give you time to stave off type 2. I ended up on bedtime insulin by the end of my second GD pregnancy, but my a1c was 5.0 when it was checked this February.

I'm not doing a huge amount of exercise-just getting my 10,000 steps most days. And I'm not restricting my calories super low-I set MFP to lose just half a pound per week.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Perhaps conider joining us at the Low Carber Daily group for the duration of your pregnancy? You might get more ideas for addind calories.

f you are removing a starch or a sweet from your plate, like a side of bread, consider adding in an extra helping of fat. For example, put some extra full fat dressing on your salad, add a cheese and butter sauce to your veggies, or add cheese or a big pat of butter to your meats. Maybe add fatter nuts like macadamia nuts to your menu. Eating lower carb often can have less volume, but if you are adding calorie dense fats it will still balance out your calories.

Perhaps consider fat bombs as after dinner treats to up your calories. My favorite is 1 cup melted coconut oil, 1/2 c peanut butter, 3 Tbs cocoa, about 12-20 drops liquid stevia (Sweet Leaf), and perhaps a dash of salt and a few drips of vanilla. I put 1-2 Tbs in each spot on an ice cube tray and put it in the freezer.

Best wishes for a healthy third trimester.
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I had GD in my last pregnancy. I wasn't using mfp to monitor my cals then. I just cut back on carbs like bread and potatoes and rice , so not for every meal for instance and upped the veg. I found more protein and fats made me feel satiated better and being heavily pregnant I couldn't eat as much, but I did look at it as a diet ( which would finish when I delivered) and without realising it , I lost weight by consequence but because I didn't continue after having baby the weight just piled back on, hence why I ended up back here.
    I was in metaformin but was kept at the standard 1000mg.
    Short walks really help and I found comparing my fasting blood sugars pre walk and after the school run were much better after the walk.
    Good luck with the remainder of your pregnancy, I'm sure you will be fine
  • LLT38
    LLT38 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I had GD during my pregnancy. I am 11 months postpartum. I was referred to a seminar which gave me all of the dietary requirements. Even if I told you what I was instructed to eat, it may not help you since GD varies from person to person. You need to work with your doctor/nurse and dietitian to balance your dietary needs with your blood sugar and ketones. I do remember feeling like I was eating all the time with the volume of vegetables and snacks. I had to have insulin at night in the last weeks of pregnancy because my morning sugars were too high.
  • MinimizingMichelle
    MinimizingMichelle Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I upped my fats today and feel much more satisfied. I added in things like nuts and cottage cheese. What I really want is cake. Haha. I attend a diabetic clinic on Wednesday, but I wanted to do everything I could to get ahead of the game to make sure my girl is as healthy as possible!