Getting your *kitten* out of bed in the morning

Options
13»

Replies

• becomingvegannn
    becomingvegannn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I set one alarm for 5am and get up when it goes off. That's it.

You're going to have to get up anyway - why not wake up 30, 45, or 60 mins earlier to do something that will help you meet your goals? I also find that I feel loads better on days I workout in the morning than on days I sleep in.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Renzi27 wrote: »
    So tell me - how do you do it? I've come to the realization that the ONLY time I am able to exercise has to be in the morning before work - because afterwards there is dinner to be made, homework to be done and other things like soccer/baseball practice that the kids need to be at.

SO my question is this -- HOW do you morning exercisers do it? I know it's a "you just gotta do it" kind of thing but I need the specifics...do you set three alarms? Do you have a friend call you to wake you up? Do you go to bed at 7pm?

I'm just curious since I just cannot seem to get my *kitten* out of bed in the morning. TIA :smile:

I do it because I'm able to go to bed at a reasonable time. My latest time to be in bed is 9:45, I'm up at 3:45. I have everything ready to go before going to bed, so in the morning it's just taking care of the morning essentials. Most of the time I'm up before the alarm goes off.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    How bad do you want it? That's the real question....
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Bribe yourself. Remind yourself of that morning coffee you'll get after you hit the gym, or the delicious protein bar waiting at the finish line. Think of the free time you'll have after work to get stuff done. That's what keeps me going. Tonight and tomorrow are very weird days for me - I'm going to the gym after work, which I have grown to despise. All I can think about is how late I'll get home, how much there is to do around the house and how packed the gym is going to be. Once you are a true early riser it just becomes habit. I used to set two alarms, both with sayings like "Wake up, Fatty" "Only __ days until Croatia" that really gave me motivation to get out of bed. Also, set your lock screen to a fitspiration model or quote.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    When I used to have to wake up at 4:30, I had several alarms and basically a "go or die" attitude
  • bviv89
    bviv89 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just got really specific with what I wanted and what is more important. Do I like seeing my waist get smaller? Yes. Do I like looking cute in that new dress? Yes. Is it going to hurt me to miss 30 minutes of sleep a few times per week? No way. Do I want to be able to be active with my kids and be around to meet their kids? Absolutely.

I also give myself a reward for making the good choices. 4 days of waking up early=buying coffee at my favorite stand after the 4th workout. Lose 30 pounds, get a Wonder Woman T-shirt from TJMaxx. That kind of thing. Make it worth it for yourself because YOU ARE WORTHY OF BEING HAPPY AND HEALTHY!!!
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I roll out of bed, put on the clothes and shoes and go. Yes it's just a "you have to do it" thing. And over time you start feeling better on days you worked out early, so it feeds off itself to some extent. It may not ever feel good while you are doing it, but will feel better to have done it.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Train yourself to flip the lights on immediately, on your way to the alarm. Once i get hit by the bright lights, sleeping in goes out the window.

I haven't invested in one yet, but i'm intrigued by the LED light alarm clocks that will slowly start to brighten a few minutes before you wake up, and be fully bright as your alarm sounds. Supposed to be an easy transition into waking.

Finally, i'm thinking about a Jawbone to monitor my sleeping. One of its features is that you can set an alarm goal, and threshold, and it will look for opportune moments between REM cycles to wake you within that window. So if you tell it to wake you up no later than 6 a.m., and give it a 1/2hr threshold, it will monitor your sleep starting at 5:30 a.m., and whenever you enter into a sleep cycle that is gentle to awaken from it will start to buzz on your wrist. If this option works for me, it would be a great way to wake up earlier than my partner, who sleeps in later than me, and doesn't need my alarm clock ruining her dreams.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I think a big part of being able to get up in the morning is getting up at the right time. I have three alarms that go off in the morning; 5 am, 6 am, and 6:30am. Normally I don't get up until 6:30, but lately I've been getting up at 6. It's easier to get up if I'm getting up at the right point in my sleep cycle. I feel more awake, and once I'm out of bed I'm ready to go. Maybe play around with what time you're getting up and going to bed, and see if there's a better time than what you're currently doing?