Zumba anyone?

Options
I'm trying my first Zumba class on Sunday at my gym. Is there anything I should know before I go? I'm quite nervous, as I've never attended a class before, plus I don't have anyone to go with me :(

Replies

• BuddhaBabeee
    BuddhaBabeee Posts: 105
    Options
    It's harder than it looks. But you can still do it. I stopped because I'm a wuss.
  • rice161
    rice161 Posts: 59
    Options
    Bring water, a towel, and have fun! Honestly... just keep moving. It'll feel hard until you learn the steps. Then you can push yourself to do more. They say give it three classes before you'll feel comfortable. I loved it after ONE! I hope you enjoy it!
  • KotyTyler
    KotyTyler Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I take Zumba at Curves. Tip: wear tennies that move easily on the floor. Not the running kind, more like every day kind. Another tip: take a hand towel with you to wipe your sweat. You'll need it! Another tip: the first time is the hardest and you'll think you're uncoordinated but you'll catch on the next time or the time after. Don't give up and keep going! You'll get the hang of it and make it a priority! Bring lots of water too!
  • coolsmartygirl
    coolsmartygirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I always try to stay up front and I actually stare at the instructor than myself. However when I do look at myself in the mirror I realize I'm not doing as much as her, but it's okay. I have so much fun, I do it every Tuesday and Thursday night. I'm currently listening to one of the songs we use in class :]
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Practice shaking your hips!!
  • Soulierl
    Soulierl Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Be careful with your knees. There's a lot of twisting hips to the side and depending on the floor surface, wearing regular tennis/cross trainer/gym shoes can grip and you turn your body but your foot stays planted - causes some knee pain.

If you like the class, then you do what I did and buy "dance fitness" shoes - which allow smooth side to side movement.

PS if this will be your first class, you may not "love" it. Give it at least 3 classes before you decide to hate it.....

I hated my first class because I couldn't keep up - there are (well shouldnt) no voice commands, it's all visual. And in my first couple classes by the time I got the move right, she went on to another one. You could also try a couple different instructors - the instructor makes all the difference. I used to go to zumba 3 nights a week ( then I started shift work, and it's hard for me to get in a routine again)

Remember, everyone else in the class is going to be worried about themselves so no one's paying attention to what you're doing - I ALWAYS turn the wrong way :)). But look at it this way - you are moving for an entire hour, whether you get the steps right or not :))

I bought Capezio dance fitness shoes on www.endless.com for about $40.00 -- makes the foot movements so much easier.

I hope this helps a little!! Good luck! I
  • peggymacb
    peggymacb Posts: 4
    Options
    I just did my first Zumba class at curves and was wondering how many calories it burned by doing 30 minutes. Plus...it really kicked my butt!! But I will go back :)
  • Bristle82
    Bristle82 Posts: 100
    Options
    Take plenty of giggling with you! Get a good spot so you can see the instructor and shake ya *kitten* a plenty :)
  • charl100
    charl100 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    oh i went to my first Zumba class on thursday!

I was nervous at first about feeling self conscious and not knowing the moves, but the instructor was really good and even if i didn't get it, as long as you move in time to the music you'll be fine! i think as you learn the steps you can really throw yourself into it, i like that its mixes up the dancing styles so the hour just flies past and you've had a good time, a giggle and a damn good sweat! try it at least once I say, I'm definitely going back, gives another dimension to working out other than running and playing derby :-)
  • dgirllamius
    dgirllamius Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'd love to go to one of those classes, but the closest one is about 25km away and getting there isn't exactly cheap.

I decided to get the DVD instead and do it at home. It looks really fun from what I've seen.

Hope I can stick to it!
  • shebee25
    shebee25 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I tried it, I have 10 pounds to go so I wanted to pump up my exercise. I had the tapes you follow at home. not for me, it is so hard to learn those steps (maybe it is because I am in my fifties).
  • peggymacb
    peggymacb Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm in my fifties too...but I'm not going to let that stop me! If Kirstie Alley can learn to do that at 60....we can do it!!
  • ttjae42
    ttjae42 Posts: 4
    Options
    you are going to Looovvvvvveeeeee Zumba!!!! be prepared to sweat!!! it's the most fun u can ever have working out!!!
  • Ambeltz2016
    Ambeltz2016 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love it, I do it on the wii and its awesome. for 20 minutes in the beginning class I burned 260+ calories. Just keep moving and shaking you hips. :) Good Luck to you!!!!
  • coolsmartygirl
    Options
    I love it, I do it on the wii and its awesome. for 20 minutes in the beginning class I burned 260+ calories. Just keep moving and shaking you hips. :) Good Luck to you!!!!

My name is Amanda Mae, so cool to find someone that may have part of your name haha.
  • hapemopirate
    hapemopirate Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I just started the on the Wii game, and MFP said I only burned 128 cals. That does not seem right, does it?
  • coolsmartygirl
    Options
    I just started the on the Wii game, and MFP said I only burned 128 cals. That does not seem right, does it?

Depends on different things, MFP isn't very accurate when it comes to calories burned, a HRM is one of the best ways to accurately know how many calories you burned.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Love me some Zumba! I've been doing it twice a week for almost 3 years...it's the only excersize I can stick to! If you get a good instructor, she'll break down the steps for you if you ask. Once you're familiar with the songs and routines, the hour will fly by! My instructor tells us that an average person can burn anywhere from 500 to 1000 calories an hour depending on how hard they work. Good luck!
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I did my first class last week & loved it! I couldn't keep up, its been 20 yrs, 2 kids and back surgery since I moved like that. I do agree about the shoe thing, I had trouble doing salsa circles or something like that bc my shoes stick. I thought the aerobic demand was maybe 8 out of 10 based on how much I can stand. We did all sweat a lot! Great fun tho!