Effect of large amounts of alcohol on weight loss?

Options

Replies

• eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    8R1C60 wrote: »
    If you are an athlete you should be
    I know, I was being facetious. It's a bit of a kick in the teeth to stick to this aggressive goal for 5 weeks and then be told that it was a dumb idea.

I don't think anyone is calling you dumb, we are trying to help you optimize your plan for your goals.
  • 8R1C60
    8R1C60 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    eeejer wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is calling you dumb, we are trying to help you optimize your plan for your goals.

Everyone's being very supportive, I'm saying I was dumb for getting tunnel vision with scale numbers ;)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    while processing alcohol the body will not use food as energy, it all gets stored as fat essentially (well, carbs and fat do, not lean protein). Basically everything you ate during the day and everything you ate after drinking is being stored. That being said, one week is not enough data to accurately predict anything.
    Not so. Alcohol CANNOT be stored in the body, so it has to be metabolized out. What happens is that until alcohol is completely metabolized, no other energy source is used. So no carbs, fats, or proteins. If one is eating and drinking which ends in surplus, then of course weight gain will happen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• eeejer
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    while processing alcohol the body will not use food as energy, it all gets stored as fat essentially (well, carbs and fat do, not lean protein). Basically everything you ate during the day and everything you ate after drinking is being stored. That being said, one week is not enough data to accurately predict anything.
    Not so. Alcohol CANNOT be stored in the body, so it has to be metabolized out. What happens is that until alcohol is completely metabolized, no other energy source is used. So no carbs, fats, or proteins. If one is eating and drinking which ends in surplus, then of course weight gain will happen.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

you did not read my post.
  • 8R1C60
    Options
    As for the muscle loss issue, what would increased consumption of protein do? Does that reduce catabolism when in a deficit?
  • eeejer
    Options
    8R1C60 wrote: »
    As for the muscle loss issue, what would increased consumption of protein do? Does that reduce catabolism when in a deficit?

yes. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/protein-intake-while-dieting-qa.html/
  • TracyeS4
    TracyeS4 Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    It is only 5 weeks. If you really want to meet your goal, dodge the alcohol for 2 weeks and see what happens. Then go out with your friends. Then wait another 2 weeks.

Every time I drink, I gain weight. Of course, if I open a bottle of wine, I must finish said bottle of wine - at 500 calories/bottle, it sabotages me every time. I do much better when I avoid alcohol for a couple of weeks. It is really really hard, though.
  • iheartshunsuke
    iheartshunsuke Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    One week without a loss is not a 'plateau'. 1200 calories a day is also not enough for someone of your size. Look up the Harris Benedict equation to find out your basel metabolic rate. From here you can work out how many calories your body needs to maintain your weight. Knock a couple of hundred off that figure & you will be in deficit & therefore will lose weight. I would also suggest that you don't eat the calories you 'earn' from exercise.
    BUT, none of that is going to be of any use if you continue lying to yourself about what you're eating and drinking...! (btw, a falafel wrap has over 300 calories)
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I think you both said the same thing, in different words. At least that's what I read in both posts. @ninerbuff, thanks again for this information that you posted a while back. It provided me with another tool in my tool box and OP would be wise to pay attention to this if nothing else.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    What's up with all of these dudes lately eating like 90 year old sedentary grannies?

My thought exactly. Short 90 year old grannies. He eats less than I do!
  • eeejer
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I think you both said the same thing, in different words. At least that's what I read in both posts. @ninerbuff, thanks again for this information that you posted a while back. It provided me with another tool in my tool box and OP would be wise to pay attention to this if nothing else.

indeed.
  • 8R1C60
    Options
    nosajjao wrote: »
    You can call it whatever you want, but your booze and "kitten" food is negating your efforts earlier in the day. You can make excuses for it or deny it.

I have done neither of those things pal :D Also "kitten" is MFP's autocensor, not my phrasing...
    ...I would also suggest that you don't eat the calories you 'earn' from exercise...

BUT, none of that is going to be of any use if you continue lying to yourself about what you're eating and drinking...! (btw, a falafel wrap has over 300 calories)

For your first point: MFP tends to flash up a message saying it won't give a weight prediction if you don't meet a certain level, which with the 1200 net tends to require eating back exercise calories.

For your second: Nobody's lying here man, if anything brutal honesty with myself is why I've made this thread in the first place. I didn't fancy having anything I could help derailing my goals, and now it's turned out that those goals were too low anyway. And from the late-night kebab vans around here it's probably way more than that, believe me.
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Alcohol really slowed me down. You can fit it in, but have to work extra hard (as you're doing) during the week to store up calories. Plus, when I drink I generally end up eating way too much that night and the next day if I'm hungover. Big greasy breakfast and lunch with a nap in between doesn't help much. IMO, heavy drinking and sport goals are not entirely compatible. If you're just doing the sport for fun, go ahead and try fitting the alcohol in. Just realize you will sacrifice performance if you're drinking heavily.
  • iheartshunsuke
    iheartshunsuke Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Well, MFP is wrong! Whichever way you look at it, 1200 calories is not enough. Clearly you're eating more than that though, which is why you're not losing weight.
    The fact is if you cut the booze & junk food and are 100% honest about what you're eating then you will lose weight. Boring I know, but its the only way..
  • 8R1C60
    Options
    Well, MFP is wrong! Whichever way you look at it, 1200 calories is not enough. Clearly you're eating more than that though, which is why you're not losing weight.
    The fact is if you cut the booze & junk food and are 100% honest about what you're eating then you will lose weight. Boring I know, but its the only way..

If you had read the first post, you would have realised that I'm already down 5kg. I'm well aware of what I'm doing.
    On the day of your planed debauchery I would prescribe a 10 mile hike across England's green and pleasant land, drink back your calories and bobs your uncle.

Instead of going in the kabab shop, why not try to engage in some fisty cuffs with the local vagabonds hanging around outside, I would say 4 rounds should earn you a large donna.

Done that before, didn't go too well. The hiking bit, I mean.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Y'know, I'm a little old lady rower. A few random thoughts:
    1. At 5'5", around 130 pounds, I was still losing (slowly, I admit) on 1700 calories net (i.e., I ate back exercise cals on top of the 1700), and I'm sixty years old.
    2. You can be an effective athlete. You can be a fun party dude. It's pretty bleepin' hard to be both, at least at any decent level of performance. It's not just the alcohol, it's the sleep, the training time, and more. I recommend you choose. Further, I recommend you choose "athlete". (At your age, I chose the opposite. At my current age, I see what was wrong with that. Your call, though.)
    3. It sounds like you've perhaps decided, sensibly, to slow down your weight loss in order to preserve muscle. Good plan. Rowers need muscles, or they lose their seat races. It would be good to weight train, too, if you aren't already.
    4. Quite apart from weight gain, excess alcohol will hinder your athletic performance. The effect may be subtle, but it will be there. I've known some excellent rowers, including a few national team folks, and they're not heavy drinkers. Most of them rarely drink at all. Maybe that's a coincidence?
    5. Row more: It's a good calorie burner.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I find I lose weight a lot faster and easier when I don't binge drink, but I would rather lose weight slower than to end up convicted of manslaughter.